Toronto 2026 - The Winner Is... (Cérémonie d'Annonce)

A big round of applause to Toronto’s own Fefe Dobson, who dedicated that song to comp founder, Thatsnotmypuppy! Pups, Krow, she’s all yours now. I’ve had her locked up in the green room with Mayor Ford since just before round one narrowly failed to go to a clear result, and I don’t know if RobF’s given her anything, but in that time she’s gone from Diva-ish to demonic.

Anyway, Governor General Johnston, Prime Minister Harper, Mayor Ford, President Bach, General Moderator Livingstone, Ladies and Gentlemen members of GamesBids, welcome!

Usually we reserve the big ceremony for the end of the summer logo comp, but hang it! Toronto deserves one of its own! So we’ve spread the entertainment budget a bit to bring you here tonight to Toronto Town Hall for the glittering climax of our quest to crown a logo for the Winter Games of 2026.

New-Year-Eve-Fireworks-Toronto-Town-hall

It’s great to see so many of our native Torontonians / Torontites / Torontinistas / Torontinos / locals – sorry, I don’t even know my Anthony’s from my Italians - here tonight. Our beloved leader, Mr Livingstone, of course, but also great to see intoronto, who played such a diligent role in keeping an eye out for copyright violations and cityscape silhouettes. And I see Faster finally voted in the final round just so he could get a shout out.

Tuck into the buffet. The original spread laid out on the weekend went off in the meantime, so Puppy stepped in to arranged the last minute catering. Give him a big hand of thanks. I hope you like tacos.

Joining Herr Bach to announce our winner, I’ll call up to the stage a man who exemplifies everything that makes Toronto such a memorable and striking icon in the ranks of world cities…

Mr T!

**Applause**

President Bach: Guten Abend, meiner Damen und Herren! Es ist…

Mr T: Shut up fool! Quit yo Jibber-jabber!

Howdy! Do you know me? Of course you do. 'Cos I'm famous! First name Mr, middle name 'period', last name T! Just like Toronto!

It’s your honor t’nite to have me here to crown de winner fo this great occasion. Hey, you with the teeth... mista Bach. You get that card ready to show now, ‘cause I’m gonna read the winner.

I pity the poor fools who competed against this dude. Who this also-ran Danny think he be anyway! The real winner is that Cool Dude…

Ice mango!

pdqe.jpg

xjzy.jpg

Sir Rols: Congratulations aismanggo!!!!!

It’s a long time you’ve been trying, and you came oh, so close to doing it in one round! In fact, had Afiq not been sporting and given his vote elsewhere in round one, you’d have been crowned days ago. That was really gracious Afiq. I see he’s entered in the Bangkok section, so I wonder if we’ll have a family affair all-round this year! It’d be special to see you both on the podium together. Anyway, the lead in the vote kept changing so much yesterday - I really thought I might have to use my tie-break vote when I got up this morning. But in the end, a clear win and Gold for aismanggo!

And a big hand also to our runners-up. You’ve all been strong contenders and great sports! DannyelBrazil takes Silver (mate – the Argentinos as usual have scrutinised the votes – you don’t have to count them again). And a round of applause to newcomer, alphacarter, who took Bronze in his debut year on the logo tour circuit. Well done! Hope we see you both, and indeed all our other entrants from the start, back again next year.

In the end, another strong turnout for the final round voting, and the official result was (discounting the luan and rpryor03 votes):

Dannyelbrazil A: 18

aismanggo B: 21

President Bach and Mayor Ford… I trust you’re pleased with our decision!

45ez.jpg

Okay, that’s almost a night. The after party’s in the Mr X Suite at the Toronto Hilton. Management have asked us to keep the stairwells free, however. Do let your hair down tonight, and let's rejoin tomorrow for the Bangkok 2028 vote launch.

Congratulations to the winner!

No doubts, the best ever logo comp in GBs. The bar was set too high this time and no doubts, a great great design won!

Now, anxious for Bangkok comp! See you guys and aismanggo, celebrate it in great style!

PS: Rols, I never counted on Argentine votes... lol

PS: Rols, I never counted on Argentine votes... lol

No worries - I'll switch to the BBC to tally the votes from Bangkok. ;)

Actually, mate, could you appeal to all the Team Danny fanbois to stop throwing tacos in the food fights with the Team Mango's?

No worries - I'll switch to the BBC to tally the votes from Bangkok. ;)

Actually, mate, could you appeal to all the Team Danny fanbois to stop throwing tacos in the food fights with the Team Mango's?

Those are not from team Danny, actually, they are THE Argentines... lol

Congrats aismanggo, voted for that up until the final when Danny explained that his logo had some Toronto in it. Great hosting too from Rols, a true pro, would expect nothing less. Bring on Bangkok! :)

PS: Are you normally so comedic in the announcement post? That was brilliant, I literally :lol: as I read it :lol:

I just realized this comp had 17 entrants! Looking quickly at the NYC comp a couple years ago, that one had 15 and even that was a lot.

Press Release:

IOC President lauds record interest, entries in Logo Comp

Toronto/Lausanne, January 7 2014: The International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach has welcomed heightened interest in this year’s GamesBids Logo Comp.

The most recent logo comp, for the Toronto 2026 Winter Olympic Games, attracted a record number of entries compared to recent competitions, with 17 official entrants at the end of submissions.

Last year’s competition attracted 12 entrants for Paris 2024 and 7 for Ostersund/Munich.

This year’s entrant field also topped the high field of 15 for New York City 2024, as well as the fields for Christchurch 26 (12 entrants) and Durban 2020 (11 entrants).

The Toronto starting list could have reached 20, had not two logos been withdrawn before the final submission date, and another logo that had been expected miss the cut-off time.

Official fields for earlier contests appear unavailable in the public domain, but it’s hoped contest founder Thatsnotmypuppy may be able to shed light on earlier numbers.

IOC President Bach said this year’s high participation signalled renewed recognition and interest in the Logo brand.

“I am delighted that 17 Logos were bidding to brand the 2026 Toronto Olympic Winter Games,” Bach said.

“These entrants and their supporters clearly understand the benefits that Logos and Branding can have and the long lasting legacy that a competing Logo can bring to a GamesBids member’s reputation.”

Contest organisers also reported astonishingly high voter turnout for the contest – doubling the amount of votes cast from the Munich-Ostersund Winter Logo competition last year. The Toronto 2026 short list vote attracted 50 voters compared to 25 last year. The Paris 2024 Logo comp attracted 28 voters to its short list vote.

Subsequent Toronto 2026 elimination voting rounds all maintained strong voter interest in the 40s (disqualification of two votes brought the official tally in the final round to 39 valid of 41 votes cast).

Organisers are hopeful the surge of interest will continue into the summer phase of the event, which kicks off tomorrow.

It’s believed 12 entrants’ Logos have entered and been accepted to compete to brand the Bangkok 2028 summer games. Organisers say this field will include an as-yet publically unrevealed logo.

Further information: http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/

Archived