Well, this is a dissapointment ._. get ready for another games in a eastern european dictatorship everyone.

Not even doing a plan which seemed safe and unexpensive was enough to prevent them from getting scared.

• Like 1

Two cities express interest in hosting 2019 European Games following withdrawal of The Netherlands

European Olympic Committees (EOC) President Patrick Hickey claimed here here today that two cities have expressed an interest in replacing The Netherlands as hosts of the 2019 edition of the European Games.

The Netherlands had been confirmed as the second hosts of the event by the EOC at an Extraordinary General Assembly in Belek last month, but withdrew yesterday just two days prior to the Opening Ceremony of the inaugural edition in Baku.

Hickey played down the suggestion the withdrawal of the nationwide Dutch proposal, which would have seen events held in nine cities across five provinces, could overshadow Baku 2015 and with two potential interested parties that a replacement would be found for 2019.

“We originally had six cities in this configuration and overnight two of these cities have been on to me to reopen negotiations,” Hickey said.

“It is interesting that these two cities had already committed to 2023 and now they wish to come forward and discuss again for 2019."

The Dutch Olympic Committee*Dutch Sports Federation’s (NOC*NSF) failure to gain the support of The Netherlands' Sports Minister Edith Schippers, the Provinces and Municipalities after asking for a financial contribution of nearly €60 million (£44 million/$68 million) towards the original budget of €125 million (£91 million/$142 million).

"It would be irresponsible to pull together €57.5 million (£41.9 million/$61.5 million) for the European Games in 2019," a joint statement from the Government, the Provinces and Municipalities said.

Following the conclusion of the Baku 2015 the EOC will seek to re-open negotiations with interested parties, which would again be held in private to prevent an expensive bid process, although no proposed timeline for a replacement was outlined.

Hickey believes a successful first edition will see new entrants would put themselves forward whilst reiterating the EOC would tailor-make the Games to cities.

“Every city that bids is a completely different city and they have different personnel, and what Baku wanted to achieve might not be the same as what other European cities want to achieve because they already have a lot of infrastructure in place," he said.

“We go on a case by case basis and when the city is interested we meet and speak with them and assess where it is going.

“We are absolutely confident we will have a city in place for 2019 and 2023.”

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1027906/two-cities-express-interest-in-hosting-2019-european-games-following-withdrawal-of-the-netherlands

Without the support of swimming and athletics, that already have major European Championships, these Games were always a joke. I wish they would just scrap it.

And now there is also the European 'thing' being hosted by Glasgow and Berlin as well......

Agree, The European Sport Championships have also had the foresight to use the federations links with the EBU to get the events out to as many people as possible, not hidden behind a paywall like the European Games will be in many countries.

What would be great is if out of the Netherlands withdrawing that perhaps some agreement can be made moving forward for the events to merge, Not sure how many more events Glasgow could hold at relatively short notice if that were the case but my ideal scenario would be for the events to combine to become the second European Games in 2018, with athletics switched to Glasgow and in return Berlin getting the privelege of spending billions on a 2022 edition of the European Games. Alternatively more events split between the two cities in 2018 (surely between them they could host most events in existing venues) and then bidding opens for the next event in 2022.

That would all rely though on all parties involved seeing common sense and being agreeable with each other. So it's never going to happen!!!

Why not Glasgow? They have experience from Commenwelth? Barcelona and reuse som venues from 92? As I see it, the venues don´t need 10-15.000 seats for the different indoor events. But perhaps just 2-4.000 for many different, and a few with bigger. I would of course say that Denmark could host, it we did something like Holland had planed, and used the Whole country. But the one big problem is the athletic, but if that still is for youth in 2019, then I cant see why "Århus stadium" with about 20-25.000 seats could be used. We would´nt never fill a 50.000 stadium anyway... And the OC could in the national football stadium Parken with 40.000... But as I see it almost every western country could do that ass well. What is it that would cost so much? Yes there will be temp venues for Beach soccer and Beach volley and so. But every single week there are temp seating to different golf tournament all over. That cant cost hundreds of hundreds of millions... So what is it that cost so much...

^^ Speaking of Barcelona, I read somewhere Valencia was interested in taking part on the 2019 race. I know they were interested for 2015 when Baku ended up getting the games.

Copenhagen would be a nice venue and I agree they could do it minimal like Holland original plan. However, I have a feeling the danish politicians will take a similar attitude like the dutch ones did (and like generally the other northern european countries tend to do), putting other things like health and education first over hosting the games. However, I admit i don't know much about danish politics these days.

I know Denmark hosted the 1999 EYOF in the 90's, at the city of Esbjerg. Then again, that was a very small event compared to the European Games. Parken is hosting games for the Euro 2020 though.

Yes, political it could be hard to use hundreds of millions, but we are going for many other sporting events these years, World championschip in Ice Hockey in 2018 is perhaps the biggest one in Schedule at the moment, but also WC in handball, and as you say 4 matches in European Championschip i 2020 and other minor sportsevents (In august this year for example World championschip in Archery). And as I see it, when we don´t need to build any new big venues, but only temp venues for outdoor events, triathlon, mountainbike, Beach events and so, then I cant see it cost so much... And im very sad that Holland jumped off, because i fear a turkish or russian bid now. For the European games to develope we need to get in a western or Nordic country!

Oh and yes we held a splended youth European games in Esbjerg in 99 as i recall it. It could also be fun for a youth Olympic games in Copenhagen, Again accept smaller venues, but fill them up in stead of using very big venues and have hard time filling it. But Again, athletic are our worst problem :(

^^ Speaking of Barcelona, I read somewhere Valencia was interested in taking part on the 2019 race. I know they were interested for 2015 when Baku ended up getting the games.

I don't think Valencia is interested anymore. The newly elected city government is against these big public expenditures. The same goes for Barcelona and Madrid. Seville is the only big city in Spain that I could imagine wanting to host.

Is Spain still broke though? Agree though if they're still serious about the Olympics and think they have most the venues in place it would be a wise move for Madrid. Suspect though they've missed their Olympic chance for now - my heart says Paris for 2024 and I think that would put a potential Madrid Olympics back to at least 2036.

Don't expect any bid from Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia or Zaragoza for any big international sports event like the European Games or the Olympics at least during the next political term. The new parties in office are not likely to be interested in the idea of bidding. As I said before, Seville is the only big city that as of today might want to bid. All the rest will definitely wait until the situation gets better. 2036 looks like a good year for another Spanish Olympics.

It's also true (I think) that the stadium Madrid proposed is no longer going to be athletics capable.

Athan can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've googled some recent pics of it and it does look like the athletics track is not there.

Granted these are not actual pics of the current look of the stadium just graphics created on what it's supposed to look like.

And I didn't realize this but the Athletics and the opening/closing ceremonies were to take place in separate stadiums according to their last bid.

Future of European Games receives boost as Turkey emerges as serious candidate to host 2019 edition

Three Turkish cities are reportedly considering a bid for the 2019 European Games after Turkish Olympic Committee (TOC) vice-president Hasan Arat suggested the country may put itself forard to host the event after The Netherlands pulled out two days before the inaugural competition here.

Istanbul has long been mooted as a potential host for the Games in four years’ time, while Antalya and Mersin could also be set to enter the fray.

“If Turkey nominates its candidacy to host the second European Games, we believe the European Olympic Committees will positively respond to this,” Arat, the bid leader of Istanbul's unsuccessful attempt to secure the right to stage the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, said.

“The final decision on the matter will be taken by politicians.”

Arat’s comments seem to point to fact that Turkey has ruled out a bid for the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The news comes after European Olympic Committees (EOC) President Patrick Hickey claimed at a press conference held on the eve of Baku 2015 that he had been in negotiations with two unnamed cities to replace The Netherlands.

Kazan in Russia and the Belarusian capital Minsk have been widely mooted as contenders.

full article

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1028128/future-of-european-games-receives-boost-as-turkey-emerges-as-serious-candidate-to-host-2019-edition

Lol, the only thing truly European on these games is its name and the countries which participate. Other than that, at this pace....

Turkey would be like giving them to Azerbaijan again since its pretty much the same culture. It would be cool for those who were eager for a 2020 Olympics in Istambul since we'll get the next thing to it. But i can already predict lots of money expenses once again like in Baku. It doesn't help Erdogan is a big jerk just like Aliyev (are we sure they're not siblings?)

Better than giving them to Russia, though. And no i'm not rusophobic, its just that i think they've hosted way too much stuff this decade already.

It's also true (I think) that the stadium Madrid proposed is no longer going to be athletics capable.

Athan can correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right. There won't be an athletics track.

Such a pity, IMO. This was the closest to a National Stadium that Madrid was going to have, but now it looks likely not to be the Olympic Stadium of a future Madrid bid, and that's strange taking into account that the Aquatics Centre is being built right next to it.

As for Turkey hosting the next European Games, yes, it's basically the same culture as Azerbaijan, but it's not Turkey or Azerbaijan's fault that the "traditional" European nations do not even want to bid!

• Like 1