Out of the Potential Bidding Cities, Amsterdam seems to have the Best Bid.

1) How do you know Amsterdam (or any other Wikipedia listed "potential" bidder) has actually forwarded a real bid?

2) Have you seen any details about Amsterdam's bid (or any other) to be able to make a judgement?

• Like 1

1) How do you know Amsterdam (or any other Wikipedia listed "potential" bidder) has actually forwarded a real bid?

2) Have you seen any details about Amsterdam's bid (or any other) to be able to make a judgement?

1) Out of the Potential Bidders, Amsterdam seems the Safest Bidder.

2) Lot's of others have said who they think has the Best Bid too.

1) Out of the Potential Bidders, Amsterdam seems the Safest Bidder.

2) Lot's of others have said who they think has the Best Bid too.

With your replies to my questions, on

1) you didn't reply at all, just repeated what you said before, without any backup for your arguments

and on

2) you just confirmed you acted like a parrot of others' opinions (who, btw?).

With your replies to my questions, on

1) you didn't reply at all, just repeated what you said before, without any backup for your arguments

and on

2) you just confirmed you acted like a parrot of others' opinions (who, btw?).

What is Your problem?

I'm giving My opinion like everyone else is. That's what a discussion is. Amsterdam seems the Safer choice over a Istanbul, Mersin, Sochi or some of the other Bids.

• 1 month later...

Surprise seventh candidate for 2019 European Games emerges

An unnamed seventh candidate has expressed interest in hosting the second European Games in 2019, insidethegames understands.

With fewer than 150 days to go before the inaugural 2015 event in Baku, Azerbaijan, the European Olympic Committees (EOC) now has to decide from among a strong field of cities drawn from all parts of the continent for the 2019 Games.

Its choice is expected to be announced at an Extraordinary General Assembly at Belek in Turkey next May, or just possibly before.

It emerged last month that The Netherlands was set to give the green light to plans to bid, with at least two cities - Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague look to be the strongest possibilities - expected to submit a joint proposal.

While it is not intended to make the full list public, Minsk has also been mentioned previously as a potential candidate, while Kazan, site of this year's World Aquatics Championships, is also thought to be interested.

Rumours are now circulating that the football-mad English port city of Liverpool, in the country's north-west, is also among the seven, likewise a Turkish candidate.

A further expression of interest is thought to have been received from a Central European city, possibly Prague.

Under procedures set out last year, the present shortlist will be narrowed down to a single proposed host city by the EOC Executive Committee following negotiations during the first quarter.

Representatives of the proposed host city will then be invited to work alongside the 2019 European Games Working Group to develop a unique concept: tailor-made to the host's needs, capabilities and priorities, and ready to continue the evolution of the European Games product.

The Working Group will support the host city in defining the technical, operational, marketing and legacy requirements for the 2019 edition, covering the sports programme, transport and venues, and the allocation of licensing rights.

The host city will then formally be chosen, probably at the May Extraordinary General Assembly.

The inaugural Games in June in Baku will comprise 17 days of competition featuring more than 6,000 athletes hailing from the 50 EOC member countries.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/major-games/european-games/1024978-exclusive-surprise-seventh-candidate-for-2019-european-games-emerges

• 1 month later...

So I always thought there was a European Games, but just learned the first one will be held this year. Why has it taken so long to even have a Euro games? If there's any region that would be one of the first to hold a continental games I would have thought Europe would have been the one.

So I always thought there was a European Games, but just learned the first one will be held this year. Why has it taken so long to even have a Euro games? If there's any region that would be one of the first to hold a continental games I would have thought Europe would have been the one.

Maybe because Europe dominated the Olympics for decades anyway and there was no desire to push for continental Games?

Maybe because Europe dominated the Olympics for decades anyway and there was no desire to push for continental Games?

And for most of the 20th century, a lot of the world championships were held in Europe (and the US), so there was no need to consolidate all of them into yet another tournament, i.e., the calendar was full enough.

It would be great to see the old Olympic cities that are now too small for the summer games host these. I hope Stockholm, Amsterdam or Brussels host soon and it's not something like Baku - Kazan - Almaty - Minsk. Not that Eastern Europe shouldn't host at some point. But it would be a shame if Western Europe and Northern Europe never became interested in these games.

• 1 month later...

Dutch plan nationwide bid for 2019 European Games

(Reuters) - The Netherlands will launch a bid to host the second edition of the European Games in 2019, planning a financially low-risk nationwide concept for the continental competition.

The inaugural European Games is being held in Baku, Azerbaijan in June and will be the first continental multi-sports event for the region's senior athletes.

"The organization of the European Games in 2019 is a special opportunity for the Netherlands," the Dutch Olympic committee said in a statement after their general assembly on Tuesday.

"The Netherlands has the opportunity to present itself as a prime example of how to organize a 'next level' multi-sport event."

The new event is based on a concept similar to other regional gatherings such as the Pan-American or Asian Games and are scheduled to be held a year prior to the Summer Olympics with qualifying spots and points on offer.

They are also seen as a chance for smaller cities to bid for a major sporting event with a budget a fraction of the size needed to host an Olympics.

The Games will also serve as a springboard for future Summer Olympic candidacies with Baku already mulling a possible bid for the 2024 Olympics.

"The 2019 Games will themselves help develop top talent, provide inspiration to young people in the Netherlands and enthusiasm among the population," Dutch Olympic Committee head Andre Bolhuis said.

Bolhuis added that the bid would not see any major infrastructure investment and financial guarantees from the relevant bodies would be secured this year.

There is no other official candidate for the 2019 edition with the European Olympic Committees (EOC), in charge of the Games, saying a decision on the host city would be made later this year.

The European Games will also have competition from the European Sports championships to be launched in 2018.

The Dutch have a long Olympic involvement with Amsterdam hosting the 1928 Olympics. King Willem-Alexander is also a former International Olympic Committee (IOC) member.

Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/29/us-games-netherlands-idUSKBN0NK0TX20150429

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting! For the hope for an European games future I think it is important that a West European country host 2019, and I think that Netherlands is a fine choise! A bit disapointed about 5 less sports.... I had hoped that some of the bigger would join in, in stead of go out... But lets see which sport it will be. :)

We knew they would pick Netherlands, specially considering the other bids (which were mostly eastern european cities). They have made it official now. Now the question is if they will do the games in Eindhoven or Amsterdam.

Lol, just as I predicted, the dutch decided to go for sustainability and simplicity, by no building an Athletes Village and using the existing venues. Truly, Netherlands 2019 will be a huge contrast to the expenses of Baku 2015. Which honestly I think its a good thing since it's a thing that many have been demanding to the Olympics, so they can be accessible again for everyone to host and not just to the rich countries or dictatorships. I'm sure Netherlands will pull out something nice.

The Olympic Stadium is already getting renovated for the 2016 European Championships in Athletics.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a shame to see a city pull out in a situation like this, because this is the kind of situation that is actually good for cities. Where money ends up being wasted is in trying to build far beyond a city's needs in order to win a bid. Boston is planning to spend hundreds of milions of dollars on venues that will be used for three weeks, which is only marginally smarter than following the white elephant model followed by Beijing and Athens. Cities usually break even on hosting the actual event itself.

Vienna would be a great replacement host. They already have a big athletics stadium (http://stadiumdb.com/stadiums/aut/ernst_happel_stadion), a large arena with 16,000 capacity, a couple of 7,000 capacity arenas, a few smaller arenas with 1,500 capacity, an aquatics complex (Wiener Stadionbad), a whitewater rafting arena, and the most beautiful equestrian arena in the world. Vienna could host without having to construct any new venues.

Edited by Nacre