Toronto 2026 - Finalists Round 2

Toronto 2026 Elimination Round Two  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which Logo Should Win the Toronto 2026 GamesBids Logo Contest?

Though C is visually striking, I do have to question the realism of the logo. The two towers surrounding the CN tower do not look like anything in Toronto.

Realism of the logo? You voted for a maple leaf that isn't even the right color. I mean yeah I get what it is trying to convey but seriously if you're trying to discuss realism you're doing it wrong.

No, he's not "wrong", it's his opinion. This is all about opinions, not rights and wrongs.

And I tend to agree with him anyway.

The maple leaf is such an icon that you can do almost anything with it and you can still see what it's meant to be. The Toronto skyline, CN Tower aside, is not (does anyone else get it mixed up with Seattle sometimes, or is that just me?). If intoronto would prefer to see a more legible version of his city's skyline in the logo then that's a completely valid criticism of C. I think C is well executed but fairly generic apart from the little addition of the CN Tower and, perhaps, intoronto is right that a bit more "Toronto" in it would actually help it.

The Toronto skyline, CN Tower aside, is not (does anyone else get it mixed up with Seattle sometimes, or is that just me?)

No I haven't mixed them up, the CN tower defines Toronto for me.

I think C is well executed but fairly generic apart from the little addition of the CN Tower and, perhaps, intoronto is right that a bit more "Toronto" in it would actually help it.

Fairly generic? A bit more Toronto? Logo A has nothing from Toronto. Adding something that defines the city (like the CN tower) would help it for me.

Also i'm not meaning to insult the design of logo A. It is a great design! Way better then anything I could have done and better then some professionals the IOC pay for! (Pyeonchang, i'm looking at you)

Way better then anything I could have done and better then some professionals the IOC pay for! (Pyeonchang, i'm looking at you)

London 2012 shows that anything is possible for an Olympic logo design. It sets the precedence and marks the time when an Olympic logo design moves with times, away from the 'conventional' and still works.

Although Pyeongchang's logo is very sparse and basic, I for one love it because it shows a certain Korean eccentricity and their East Asian minimal design sensibility. And the wider branding look using the coloured sticks I thought was one of best and most creative I've seen.

On the other hand, Sochi's logo is just lazy. Trying too hard to be modern and in the end turns out to be nothing. Who actually needs to be reminded of a website address these days anymore? And who actually enters a full URL when finding a website? You either google Sochi or Google will complete the URL for you before you even finish typing. The logo trying to be too zeitgeist and too clever for its own good. Their look is much stronger and have more personality though.

No I haven't mixed them up, the CN tower defines Toronto for me.

Fairly generic? A bit more Toronto? Logo A has nothing from Toronto. Adding something that defines the city (like the CN tower) would help it for me.

Also i'm not meaning to insult the design of logo A. It is a great design! Way better then anything I could have done and better then some professionals the IOC pay for! (Pyeonchang, i'm looking at you)

I think C was going for something more specific and hasn't quite hit the mark for me. The addition of the CN Tower is the only thing that relates it to these Games. I could bung the Eiffel tower in its place and suddenly you've got a logo for Paris. Logo A, on the other hand, has taken the Maple Leaf and used that as its starting point and has managed to incorporate ski tracks, a cauldron, fireworks, a bouquet of flowers...it's much more organic.

Have to agree with disagree, but feel A is much more concept driven from the outset (and nothing is lost in the execution). :D

And I know you're not trying to insult logo A. I called you up on your initial post because I didn't think it was fair to tell intoronto his criticims was "wrong", that's all.

On the other hand, Sochi's logo is just lazy. Trying too hard to be modern and in the end turns out to be nothing. Who actually needs to be reminded of a website address these days anymore? And who actually enters a full URL when finding a website? You either google Sochi or Google will complete the URL for you before you even finish typing. The logo trying to be too zeitgeist and too clever for its own good. Their look is much stronger and have more personality though.

See, all about opinions!

I think Sochi's is an incredibly strong wordmark with clever symmetries and subtle design nods to Cyrillic script. I hate PC's pick-up-sticks logo on the other hand! ;)

London 2012 shows that anything is possible for an Olympic logo design. It sets the precedence and marks the time when an Olympic logo design moves with times, away from the 'conventional' and still works.

Although Pyeongchang's logo is very sparse and basic, I for one love it because it shows a certain Korean eccentricity and their East Asian minimal design sensibility. And the wider branding look using the coloured sticks I thought was one of best and most creative I've seen.

Seems the last few winter olympic logos haven't been that great. Salt lakes colors are bland. However, I do love Nagano's logo which is perhaps my favorite logo of all the bids including summer.

I think C was going for something more specific and hasn't quite hit the mark for me. The addition of the CN Tower is the only thing that relates it to these Games. I could bung the Eiffel tower in its place and suddenly you've got a logo for Paris. Logo A, on the other hand, has taken the Maple Leaf and used that as its starting point and has managed to incorporate ski tracks, a cauldron, fireworks, a bouquet of flowers...it's much more organic.

Have to agree with disagree, but feel A is much more concept driven from the outset (and nothing is lost in the execution). :D

Yes, I agree we should agree to disagree cause I think we will be arguing all night.

:)

And as I write this, seems to be stuck at 7 votes... (Frankly, I think those are the 7 hills of Rome...) :lol:

8 votes now. Trapezoid & 7 hills. What does the trapezoid stand for :ph34r: ? 1)cauldron, 2)bath tab, 3)mamma's pot, 4)??? :rolleyes:

Back to topic...wow C is overwhelming other options,50% now.

Favouritism has never proved much of a problem before either, and in this final we've a completely new member, so I think that's proof enough most people vote on the logos themselves and not on who they like.

I like to know who's made what, it's part of the fun to see what people on this forum can do. Otherwise we might as well just pick 10 logos on Google images and have a vote on them.

I'm surprised most here seem to have missed the nod to the Toronto City Hall buildings surrounding the CN Tower in C. Although both A and B are lively and dynamic in their own ways, both are too generally canadian in comparison to C and its clever use of distinctive city shapes of Toronto.

I made that point earlier. But even A is going to come out very flat in b&w--and the bottom part of C will completely disappear in a b&W application.

I always present a monochromatic version of my logos. You can take a look here:

t26d_zpse7398a6e.jpg

That I have no problem with. I do have a problem with knowing who has made each logo. I feel it should be kept secret to avoid favoritism.

A bit hard to do that - a lot of people know who did them anyway when they're originally posted (though, I do get the odd one submitted to me to unveil only when the polls start - in fact, this year I have one unseen Bangkok one still in my hands, and had two others for Toronto and Bangkok that did the same but got withdrawn just before I started the Toronto shortlist. But then I do give them letters in the votes rather than names to emphasise it's about the logos rather than the individuals.

I've had to be tough on the Malaysian brothers voting for each other because it's got other members upset in past years, but beyond that, it would be far too hard to police people voting for friends. Anyway, perhaps there's some who vote on the person rather than the submission, but I think that's very few and people on the whole tend to vote fairly on the logos themselves.

May I ask, what is the point of allowing users to vote for there own logo?

In the short list rounds, I don't allow it in order to encourage entrants to think beyond their own and to get a decent spread of finalists in the elimination rounds. In the elimination rounds I don't see a big problem with it - like Eurovision, everyone get's at least one vote then. We have had entrants vote against their own logos before (and this year) in good shows of sportsmanship. Again, it's only the brothers rule I've had to apply so people don't get upset if any of their entries virtually get two free votes out of it.

Archived