Toronto 2026 - Finalists Round 2

Toronto 2026 Elimination Round Two  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which Logo Should Win the Toronto 2026 GamesBids Logo Contest?

4i78.jpg

Sigh!

I thought we'd have our first ever winner in one round, but ...

After checking and tallying of votes, I discounted the votes from rpryor03 and luan. Counting poll votes, this gave aismanggo's 20 out of 41 - just short. Even counting Baron's posted vote (and Scotguy's vote switch, which made little difference to the standings), it would still only bring aismango's to 21 of 42 - exactly half, but not a majority. It also didn't constitute a situation where's I'd use my tie-break vote.

The results from round one were:

Daveypodmore A: 5

Scotguy B: 2

Dannyelbrazil C: 7

alphacarter D: 7

aismanggo E: 21

As such, Davey's and Scotguy's logos drop out - thanks guys. Well done to make the finals.

So we go into a second round vote with the three logos above.

The rules for this stage are:

• This voting round will be open for (approximately) 24 hours - it will close after 7am, Monday January 6, Sydney time (8pm Jan 5 GMT).
  • Voting will be conducted in rounds until one entry has an absolute majority and is declared the winner.
  • In this and subsequent rounds round the logo with the lowest number of votes will be eliminated at the close of the poll.
  • Vote in the poll for your favourite logo. You have ONE vote, so make it count.
  • Your vote is public and can be seen by all.
  • Entrants MAY vote for their own logo (though two votes for the same logo by relatives will count as one).
  • Votes are valid if cast by members of GamesBids as of December 31 2013 with a bona fide posting record.
  • I will rule on the validity of any suspicious or disputed votes, or who constitutes a bona fide voting member.
  • I will not vote in this, or any subsequent rounds, unless a tie-breaker vote is needed in a tied elimination round or the final round.

Be fair and sportsmanlike, this is meant to be fun and the entrants all deserve our respect. If any contenders have any complaints or disputes, PM me and I'll rule on them.

I have used aismanggo's logo against a white background for this round. I don't think it changes it enough to count as a final tweak, and rule on it as such. I would have used it in round one as well, but had already posted up the poll thread.

Bonne chance, good luck and may the best logo win!

I can predict these things correctly, palette. ;)

Even though I'm still sort of bewildered by alphacarter's Diaphanous Blue triangles (are they half of a Star of David? Is it a stylized rendering of Sydney's Opera House? Just a series of blue triangles thrown together for the heck of it? :blink: ), I'll vote for B this time. (But if this were the real thing, I'd still need a more solid story of what they really are??)

Congratulation to all 3 of you who made it this far.

What follows is my PERSONAL OPINION on C.

I think C looked better on its previous background and as I said in the previous post that is a problem. Also why do the buildings cut out behind NTO? It makes it look somewhat unfinished.

Again in this instance if I were voting it would go to B.

NZL :)

I'm voting for B this time. It has the most potential of all three, and looks the most contemporary. I can see how the 'look' can be derived from this logo (although this approach has been done to death in London 2012).

Logo C is very polished and immaculately executed. Still, an Olympic logo will never have something so literal with the CN Tower and maple leaf motif. However, I think it will be perfect for the NBC Olympic logo; it has the same look where they always use the host city's landmark, literally.

Even though I'm still sort of bewildered by alphacarter's Diaphanous Blue triangles (are they half of a Star of David? Is it a stylized rendering of Sydney's Opera House? Just a series of blue triangles thrown together for the heck of it? :blink: ), I'll vote for B this time. (But if this were the real thing, I'd still need a more solid story of what they really are??)

Here's my explanation from the original thread:

A bit about the logo itself, the "shards" together form an abstract maple leaf, obviously representing Canada. The blue and green represents the land of Canada and it's diverse beauty, The idea for the shards came from the idea that an Olympic logo has to represent everyone coming together, to be something greater than the sum of it's parts. Additionally the shards are transparent, so you could see through them, if the logo was placed over an image or made out of glass. This was to convey the idea that each person from the world over coming together creates a unique appearance and outlook on the world.

However, I think it will be perfect for the NBC Olympic logo; it has the same look where they always use the host city's landmark, literally.

That is so true. I didn't know they existed but looking at them if you put C in a badge it would completely fit in.

I'm wondering if you've never seen a picture of the Sydney Opera House, because frankly Option A bears more a resemblance.

I voted Option B. I think it is fresh and sharp, and simple and direct - unlike the other two which are busy-ish. It conveys winter, it conveys Canada and it is without doubt the most dynamic of all three, as this is for official logos (thanks Rob!) this seems to be in line with the style put forward by London and Sochi - except unlike these two this still strikes a balance between this new generation logo and the old. Its also a clever logo - there is ice, snowflakes, mountains, and maple leafs. Great job!

I don't really get the fuss behind Option A - it is good, but it seems to look like the logo of an Australian surf brand more than an Olympic logo. Not adventurous enough - but it is of a good quality.

Option C. As I've mentioned before, easily the highest quality of all logos - but I can't shake the idea that it has just had too much of a big leg up from the GC18 logo. It looks great - but its very busy and probably isn't as dynamic and flexible as Option B, IMO. Again (to reiterate) in terms of quality and overall design it is by far and away the best quality of any entry, but I consider originality to be the most important thing here so I voted B.

B is the best to me.2 refreshing colours(light delicate green and blue)are used.Thanks Ryan I got the the reason why you used these 2 colours to express Canada. This logo is like something handcrafted. His work has good balance or I should say ratio for each component;triangles part,Toronto 2026 and 5 rings. B was silently but surely appealing to me.

And 7 triangles... :ph34r:

C for sure! Truly beautiful and resembles the city of Toronto.

A would be my second choice . I'm just not a fan of the blue maple leaf. Doesn't make a lot of sense for me. Also I feel the maple leaf has been overdone and was used for the Vancouver 2010 bid books. However (and I hope i'm seeing this right) I like how the maple leaf could also be seen as fireworks.

As for B it is a great design and congratulations for a new forum member to make the top 3! Unfortunately I am not seeing the significance and relation to Toronto but it is still a million times better than I could do!

Congrats to all!

Though C is visually striking, I do have to question the realism of the logo. The two towers surrounding the CN tower do not look like anything in Toronto.

Realism of the logo? You voted for a maple leaf that isn't even the right color. I mean yeah I get what it is trying to convey but seriously if you're trying to discuss realism you're doing it wrong.

Archived