Sign in to follow this  

Toronto 2026 Elimination Round 1  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which Logo Should Win the Toronto 2026 GamesBids Logo Contest?

m7zl.jpg

Welcome back everyone for the business end of the Winter Games section of the Seventh Annual GamesBids Logo Design Competition.

And a really big thank to all who voted in the short list round. We had an amazing 50 votes – I think it was our biggest voting turnout ever, to match the big field!

Re: the results of the short list round. I discounted the votes from: nzl (competitor protest); rypyor03 & luan (not satisfied of their bona fides); all votes for submission G (the rest of the votes for members who voted for G are valid); and alphacarter’s, Daveypodmore’s and Mr Benham’s own votes (their others are valid, including the replacement votes they posted).

No one got an absolute majority. The end tally left us with the clear final five shown above. It was close, though. By my reckoning this morning Mr Bernham’s B was through… just. By the afternoon and poll close, Scotguy’s drew level and pulled ahead to claim sixth spot – Good on you! You kept up your run of making the finals! Kevzz’s J lost two votes disqualified as per above, but gained one also. That still left it tantalizingly just out of the final. There were a handful of others who were also within one or two points of making it, but just missed out.

Congratulations to the finalists who now battle to decide our winner to set the tone for winter festivities in Toronto in 2026. Commiserations for those who've been voted out – as always, there’s a few who really deserved to go on. Thanks for your participation, and hope you stick around to vote.

Okay, down to business. The rules for this stage are:

• This voting round will be open for (approximately) 38 hours - it will close after 7am, Sunday January 5, Sydney time (8pm Jan 4 GMT) - this will make it easier for me to make the following rounds 24 hours each.
  • Voting will now be conducted in rounds until one entry has an absolute majority and is declared the winner.
  • In this round ONLY the TWO logos with the lowest number of votes will be eliminated at the close of the poll.
  • Vote in the poll for your favourite logo. You have ONE vote, so make it count.
  • Your vote is public and can be seen by all.
  • Entrants MAY vote for their own logo (though two votes for the same logo by relatives will count as one).
  • Votes are valid if cast by members of GamesBids as of December 31 2013 with a bona fide posting record.
  • I will rule on the validity of any suspicious or disputed votes, or who constitutes a bona fide voting member.
  • I will not vote in this, or any subsequent rounds, unless a tie-breaker vote is needed in a tied elimination round or the final round.

Be fair and sportsmanlike, this is meant to be fun and the entrants all deserve our respect. If any contenders have any complaints or disputes, PM me and I'll rule on them.

Bonne chance, good luck and may the best logo win!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

wasn't G the canadian interstate diner cum baseball jersey one? what happened to that? cool logo.

• Like 1

wasn't G the canadian interstate diner cum baseball jersey one? what happened to that? cool logo.

He'd withdrawn it. It finished with six votes, though. I was disappointed to see Kevzz's pixelated winter forest go myself.

• Like 1

I voted D a newbie Ryan's. I avoid comment and feedback about the work not to affect other votes. But just let me say "good luck!" to Ryan ;) .

Yikes, woke up to the news of my entry being booted. Oh well, at least I gave it a shot!

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the process and learned some new things during my research about Toronto/ Ontario eg. the wonderful stories of the Group of Seven artists, other beautiful paintings by Tom Thomson (esp. The West Wind) and the Toronto ravine system (I tried to make it into a logo but proved difficult, and probably even more obscure to outsiders!).

I’m glad to see Scotguy’s logo made it into the final. I voted for this mainly because it is the only logo in the shortlist that is not pastiche. It also veers from the obvious Canada/ Toronto/ snowflakes imagery and I think it is quite a mature design aesthetic that could actually be used as a real Olympic logo.

Strangely, I really like Lord David’s entry too. There is something old school and playful about the logo that is quite charming in its simplicity. I guess he proved the only way to use a maple leaf motif nicely is to not overwrought it. J

• Like 3

I’m glad to see Scotguy’s logo made it into the final. I voted for this mainly because it is the only logo in the shortlist that is not pastiche. It also veers from the obvious Canada/ Toronto/ snowflakes imagery and I think it is quite a mature design aesthetic that could actually be used as a real Olympic logo.

Strangely, I really like Lord David’s entry too. There is something old school and playful about the logo that is quite charming in its simplicity. I guess he proved the only way to use a maple leaf motif nicely is to not overwrought it. J

oh shite. i thought i was telling the truth! you go, girlfriend.

Although I can't vote I'd like to say my vote would definitely go to D. Congratulations to all those who made it into the final.

NZL

• Like 1

Although I can't vote I'd like to say my vote would definitely go to D. Congratulations to all those who made it into the final.

NZL

you're such a sweetheart. **** danny. your vote should count as much as his.

i mean, you speak english.

:). It's not Danny's fault. His concern is genuine and a lot of people would have a similar problem if a new member popped up soon before the voting. I just hope he doesn't have a problem with me by this time next year.

NZL

:). It's not Danny's fault. His concern is genuine and a lot of people would have a similar problem if a new member popped up soon before the voting. I just hope he doesn't have a problem with me by this time next year.

NZL

danny's just insecure because he's worried he won't win bangkok even though he will. please don't take it personal. if your logo hadn't been as good, he wouldn't have had an issue.

danny's just insecure because he's worried he won't win bangkok even though he will. please don't take it personal. if your logo hadn't been as good, he wouldn't have had an issue.

Thanks.

He'd withdrawn it. It finished with six votes, though. I was disappointed to see Kevzz's pixelated winter forest go myself.

Did my vote count for it? I really liked that one...

Voted for D; Feel it would be the best to advertise with I also like it's simple yet modern design.

I would like to have seen E with a solid white background as most logos are in the real world (hope that doesn't offend anyone here on the forums). The only other place I have seen logos with that style of background is on other logo comps. The reason is because if it didn't work on any other background it would be very hard to put it with sponsors logos or in other circumstances if you know what I mean. I know it's a bit late for constructive criticism but I just thought I would let you know my opinion.

NZL.

Gone for E. Others are Canadian, Torontonian, & wintry but E manages to be all 3 at once. It is also mainly Torontonian, more than Canadian, which is a point I think a real Toronto committee would want to push, summer or winter. I know this is a winter comp, but I think it'd work for a summer games in red.

Here's the thing. I said it before and I'll say it again. There are too many maple leaves! But, I do like D and E for their out-of-the-box ways to depict them.

Rols is the judge not me. It's up to him to decide as he stated in 'da rulez'.

Enjoy your Malbec and let the competition go on ;)

PS: My concern was solely about his votes, not his entry (BTW, it deserved to be in the shortlist, but unfortunately, it fails for lack of voting)...

And I'm the one who needs to improve reading in English???

Edited by DannyelBrazil

I would like to have seen E with a solid white background as most logos are in the real world (hope that doesn't offend anyone here on the forums). The only other place I have seen logos with that style of background is on other logo comps. The reason is because if it didn't work on any other background it would be very hard to put it with sponsors logos or in other circumstances if you know what I mean. I know it's a bit late for constructive criticism but I just thought I would let you know my opinion.

NZL.

I did get sent a version of it with a white background yesterday just after I started this round of voting. I didn't post it because I figured some may have constituted it as a tweak after the final submissions had closed.

I need to know when two are tied and there's like an hour or so left...but I can't see it until I cast my vote.. How do we do that?

We dont. Just vote. ;)