Major Sporting/World Events of 2014.

For me the two events I will be most focussed on are Commonwealth Games and the Winter Olympics!

It was after I joined GB that I first knew the existence of commonwealth games. I have never watched this on my country's TV nor be mentioned in TV and web news. Many participants and the games sounds fantastic.

We already have detailed topics on 2014 Brazil WC :rolleyes: . You can debate if you go to each topic. ;)

:) Commonwealth Games will lead my sporting highlights.

Fifa WC also there..I'll be backing England since no NZ team. Sorry Australia, I just dont like your truly bad sportsmanship of late...

Winter Olympics being hosted in what is turning into a nasty Fascist nationalistic hate filled country...not interested.

What a let down from Vancouver.:(

I am looking forward to the Commonwealth Games and Ryder Cup - both being held in Scotland this year. Looking forward to the Sochi ceremonies and to the Brazil World Cup. I will be supporting Russia, as my mother is Russian :)

Winter Olympics and the Comonwealth Games of course.

The World Cup to me is over hyped. Its only 32 countries after all.

The Greatest Show on Earth Overrated? I don't know what tournaments you have been watching. COMON England!!!!!!!!

The Greatest Show on Earth Overrated? I don't know what tournaments you have been watching. COMON England!!!!!!!!

Greatest show on Earth? It's just a tournament for 90 minute games of passing a ball around.

Greatest show on Earth? It's just a tournament for 90 minute games of passing a ball around.

Football is more than that. The Atmosphere, the build up, the Fans, the Players that shine, the moment, the coverage/attention. The World Cup is the cream of the crop.

Well, it can be. The last couple of world cups have served up dire football. Hoping for much better in Brazil.

I can't lie, the 2010 Fifa World Cup wasn't the greatest, but 2006 World Cup in Germany was excellent. And yes, I do think the 2014 Fifa World Cup will be excellent aswell.

Football is more than that. The Atmosphere, the build up, the Fans, the Players that shine, the moment, the coverage/attention. The World Cup is the cream of the crop.

And the suspense and the glory. If you have a team in the World Cup capable of winning even a game or two, the feeling is incomparable to any other sporting event.

The Olympics is the ultimate, no question. It's so much more intense, at the WC you only get a maximum of 4 games a day. At the Olympics you get over 10 hours of almost non-stop action across up to 26 sports, not just 1. The Olympics don't have rest days or days where there's only 1 match on, not to mention the ceremonies & general tradition of the Olympics, makes them seem much grander & more special. With qualifying, it also feels like the WC lasts 3 years, but the Olympics is 16 days, again making it more special. The World Cup is a great event, & I'm looking forward to Brazil as much as anyone, but the Olympics is the 'greatest show on Earth', no doubt.

The Olympics is the ultimate, no question. It's so much more intense, at the WC you only get a maximum of 4 games a day. At the Olympics you get over 10 hours of almost non-stop action across up to 26 sports, not just 1. The Olympics don't have rest days or days where there's only 1 match on, not to mention the ceremonies & general tradition of the Olympics, makes them seem much grander & more special. With qualifying, it also feels like the WC lasts 3 years, but the Olympics is 16 days, again making it more special. The World Cup is a great event, & I'm looking forward to Brazil as much as anyone, but the Olympics is the 'greatest show on Earth', no doubt.

too bad it's not like that in indonesia because indonesians usually puts the world cup as the greatest show on earth followed by euro and i think olympics is only number 3 here....

....Looking forward to the Sochi ceremonies and to the Brazil World Cup. I will be supporting Russia, as my mother is Russian :)

Good gawde...you must have some pretty impressive mind battles...:D

CWGs first and foremost though!

World cup in football is so freaking overrated. Football is overrated. It's deadly boring. Don't get the hype.

Winter olympics is the one I'm looking forward to.

I disagree. Football is the king of sport. It's just preference. I love Football.

I disagree. Football is the king of sport. It's just preference. I love Football.

You contradict yourself.First a definitive statement and then the acknowledgment that it is in fact preferential.

Football may be the "king" of sport, but nonetheless, the Olympics are much much more important than the World Cup.

Archived