Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Philippines Urged To Bid For 2024 Summer Olympics

Then again, Japan faced one much worse than it 2 years before they got elected, so...

But Japan could recover from a totally different base level of economy & infrastructure.

• Like 1

But Japan didn't win because of a natural disaster...they won in spite of it. Japan's economy is massive. The third largest in the world. And almost 25 times larger than the Philippines. Japan is also a successful Olympic country, often in the top 10, and several top 3 performances. The Philippines would have to work on a much longer term plan if they ever want to host the Olympic Games. They don't even have a decent stadium.

• Like 1

Resources to handle this kind of influx...nah

Gross Domestic Product...*flips the bird*

Sociopolitical stability...as worse as Latin America (67.18 cases of first degree homicide for every 130 Filipinos)

Cleanliness...Sorry, you're seeing manure all over Manila, and even after the Mt. Pinatubo eruption of Summer 1991, they're too lazy enough to clean 'em

Another reason why the Philippines should be DENIED of being awarded the 2024 games, if I already gave way to Istanbul, as long there are no mass protests of that kind we saw months earlier

Well if Manila does get the nod by the Philippine Olympic Committee it does need to put forward the most ideal venue plan (at least on paper).

I'd opt for further land reclamation on Pasay, where the Philippine International Convention Center (upgraded and expanded) becomes the Main Media Center. This site would serve as the Olympic Park with the main stadium, aquatics center, velodrome, a relocated yacht club, temporary beach volleyball, temporary field hockey and temporary rowing facilities.

You could market the athletes village and any media villages to serve as legacy low cost apartment housing for the city's poorest.

The nearby Rizal Memorial Sports Complex would undergo some transformation. Where the athletics stadium would become a football only venue, or even radically transformed to become the tennis site (more courts, as well as the main competition ones). The baseball stadium would host archery, with the 2 arenas hosting minor indoor sports. The Rizal Memorial Coliseum was originally built for tennis, so maybe that could serve as a 2nd court, where court 1 is a new venue (possibly with retractable roof) and a minor court 3.

The team indoor sports can easily be hosted in 2 venues each, of 10,000 capacity or more.

Basketball: Araneta Coliseum - 20,000 and Philippine Arena - 50,000

Handball: PhilSports Arena - 10,000 and Ynares Center - 12,000

Volleyball: Cuneta Astrodome - 12,000 and Mall of Asia Arena (With Gymnastics) - 18,000

Quadricentennial Pavilion, Filoil Flying V Arena and Blue Eagle Gym form other minor arenas which can host indoor sports. The convention center near the Mall of Asia Arena can host Rhythmic Gymnastics.

You have several other specialized venues which can be used as well, throughout the city and region, including those used for the 2005 South East Asian Games.

There's a wealth of venues right there, but that's still a long way to go. I'd say go for an Asian Games first. Perhaps with everything (that needs to be built) minus the main stadium. You can have Philippine Arena host the ceremonies at 50,000 or even 40,000 if you want athlete seating and have the new athletics stadium nearby host athletics events.

Asian Games definitely. A Youth Olympics doesn't offer the possibility of construction projects other than the village. An Asian Games is ideally the answer.

This is another case of "wonderful dream, against odds". Philippines is a beautiful country wih a great culture and warm people, but unfortunally, this dream is out of their league -At least in these years-.

Forgive for laughing about it, but seriously, Roilo Golez is living on a cloud or what. His arguments were ridiculous.

I propose we prepare to bid to host the 2024 Summer Olympics, to follow the 2020 Summer Olympics to be hosted by Tokyo

This is a great optimism or negation of reality or both. Both cities are in Asia and at the same time zone. If Madrid, with a better plan came into a joke after London...

Noting that in 1980 South Korea, then a rising economy, won the bid to host the 1988 Olympics... He added that the Philippines and South Korea were on the same level of economic development in 1972.

Mr. Golez, the 70s, happened 30 years ago. There was a Soviet Union, China was dominated by Mao Zedong, and South Korea was a dictatorship in a relative poor country. Now, Russia -Not the Soviet Union- is a different country, China is open country to the international market with close ties with USA and South Korea is a developed democratic country with high levels of education and health (Among the highest on the OECD countries). Today South Korea is different that the 1972 South Korea. Meanwhile, Philippines needs to face powerty, social issues and margination.

Maybe we are true realistics, but some doses of reality aren't bad.

Let's change the title then! Instead of it being a chase for the 2024 Olympics, make it a chase for the 2023 Asian Games.

• Like 1

I believe it will be either Osaka Japan, Bangkok Thailand or Manila the Philippines will be hosting the 2023 Asian Games, How ever if Manila the Philippines does land the 2023 Asian Games and does an great job then they will be a serious city to host the 2032 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games I don't see the Asian world going back to Manila in 2023,

It will be Bangkok Thailand 2023 Asian Games, 2027 Osaka Japan and 2031 Manila the Philippines and Bangkok Thailand will be the next city to host the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in Asia in 2032 I think then Manila the Philippines will have a fighting chance to land the games in the 2040s if they host the Asian Games in the 2030s.

I believe it will be either Osaka Japan, Bangkok Thailand or Manila the Philippines will be hosting the 2023 Asian Games, How ever if Manila the Philippines does land the 2023 Asian Games and does an great job then they will be a serious city to host the 2032 Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games I don't see the Asian world going back to Manila in 2023,

It will be Bangkok Thailand 2023 Asian Games, 2027 Osaka Japan and 2031 Manila the Philippines and Bangkok Thailand will be the next city to host the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in Asia in 2032 I think then Manila the Philippines will have a fighting chance to land the games in the 2040s if they host the Asian Games in the 2030s.

Or Turkmenistan. Turkmenistan have already proposed plans to bid, with their new complex.

But if Manila were to bid for that, then who would you choose? Ashgabat or Manila? Especially if Manila offers a grand Olympic style Park approach, even that reclaimed land idea of mine?

You'd definitely would like to see another Manila long before Ashgabat.