Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Philippines Urged To Bid For 2024 Summer Olympics

I would love to see Manila the Philippines hosting the Olympics Games some of my family lives in the Philippines but I say to my Filipino friends and family that you will need to host another Asian Games 1st with Manila then after hosting the Asian Games then go for the Olympics, I see Bangkok Thailand hosting the next Summer Asian Olympics Games in 2032, Then after that if Manila the Philippines hosted an great Asian Games then I could see them landing the next Olympics Summer Games in Asia.

The 2023 and the 2027 Asian Games are most likely heading to Thailand and Japan so I say Manila needs to go for either the 2031 or 2035 Asian Games then go for an Olympics Games bid in the 2040s.

As much as I'd love to see my heritage host an Olympics someday, I think 2024 is too soon (especially since Tokyo is hosting 2020). There's many issues which need to be improved first, not to mention the nation's somewhat poor sporting/Olympic record.

So you have a wealth of indoor arenas for the indoor sports, not to mention a 50,000 seater one for Basketball, even a 20,000 seater modern athletics/football stadium. There's half decent transport infrastructure, convention facilities and hotels too but is that enough to get the ball rolling?

No doubt an Olympic Park would be conceived, but where would it be located? Land reclamation? Somewhere inland?

I guess we'll have to see if they propose something to see if it's half decent. Then wait until 2028 or even 2032 when a proper bid is made. Hosting another Asian Games will help too.

Oh and all this chatter about economic development from 1972 is absurd, especially when comparing to South Korea. The main reason why the Philippines isn't the 2nd or 3rd largest economy in Asia now is thanks to the corruption of the Marcos regime. And even he and his cronies never made a majestic 80,000 seater stadium that would simply need sprucing up.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....

And he (the Rep.) makes this proposal a month after the STRONGEST typhoon in known history batters parts of the Philippines??? So I wonder if he was thinking new Olympic parks should rise where there was all that destruction??? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....

And he (the Rep.) makes this proposal a month after the STRONGEST typhoon in known history batters parts of the Philippines??? So I wonder if he was thinking new Olympic parks should rise where there was all that destruction??? :blink:

You never know...maybe they make a sob story out of the typhoon like Tokyo did with the Earthquake :D (Don't get me wrong, it was bad to say the least)

Philippines would be a great host in theory. I would look forward to it someday. It would help if they developed to about Malaysia's economic level.

But again, geography and seasonal timing are not in the Phil or the SE Asian belt's favor. He obviously didn't consider that. That is why those SEA Games, the Asian Games if held in the gulf, are always played in DECEMBER.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

...not to mention the nation's somewhat poor sporting/Olympic record.

Somewhat? I think it fair to say their record is out and out terrible. They field small teams, fewer than 20 athletes in the past few Olympiads. And the country hasn't won an Olympic medal since 1996, has never won a gold, and their best showing was 3 bronze at Los Angeles...in 1932!

Please don't take that as an attack on the country. I have nothing against the Philippines. But stats are stats. With such small teams and very few medal achievements, the country has a long, long, long way to go before it can even flirt with the idea of hosting the Olympic Games.

Nevermind the problems, the timing is beyong naive. A strong Madrid bid looked stupid even before the banks collapsed and left Spain in a tailspin because it was just four years after London 2012.

Safe to say this suggestion won't be making Gamesbids' Top 10 Bidding Stories of 2013.

Edited by Rob.

You never know...maybe they make a sob story out of the typhoon like Tokyo did with the Earthquake :D (Don't get me wrong, it was bad to say the least)

You can also use the hardest and saddest stories that the US army helped the Phillipines for the typhoon and saved Japan's disaster by "Tomodachi Operation".You must not forget that some claimed they had been polluted while in Fukushima and they attempted to go to the law against TEPCO. This is the easiest way to collect sympathy votes if you are really challenging 2024 USA. <_<

BTW,I don't think it's very easy for them to win for 2024. As far as South East Asia concerns,Kuala Lumpur,Jakarta,Bangkok,Ho Chi Minh or Ha Noi might be possible one day in the future IMO. :)

Safe to say this suggestion won't be making Gamesbids' Top 10 Bidding Stories of 2013.

Safe to say that Manila 2024 goes to the same folder as Tulsa 20xx or Ashgabat 2xxx...titled "total rubbish created by people with too much time and/or money without any sense of reality", I think.

My message to Manila.. get in line. The way I think about it is this. There are 19 Summer Olympics that have yet to be awarded. If no country hosts more than 1 Summer Olympics in this century (and we all know that's not going to happen), that means 19 different countries will get to host an Olympics. If you had to pick the list of those 19 countries, would it include the Phillipines? Probably not. That's not to say they have to wait until the 2100s to land an Olympics, and things can certainly change, but that's what they're up against. They need to set their sights a little bit smaller before they think they can land the big prize

Safe to say that Manila 2024 goes to the same folder as Tulsa 20xx or Ashgabat 2xxx...titled "total rubbish created by people with too much time and/or money without any sense of reality", I think.

I slightly disagree. Manila has more clout and infrastructure than those two cities to make it above them. But it's not ready to host an Olympics.

However, if it wants to test and see exactly what it would score if it did bid (based on current infrastructure), then make it a totally privately funded bid (where government assurances are offered in the highly unlikely chance of winning or even making the candidate stage). See where you land, then try again in 2032 or 2036.

Another Asian Games is definitely needed to prove if Manila can host something of this magnitude, not to mention gain benefit from infrastructure built. Go chase that dream first.

Edited by Lord David

as a filipino, i would have to agree that the philippines is not ready for an olympics in my life time. maybe another asian games or sea games. take the bad taste from the last time with hosted.

but to be honest, i'm already think of the sequence for the opening ceremony

and to all the butthurt filipinos who will rant that they (this tread) are belittling our country, do you think we can do an olympic games in our ecomony? with our politicians? and with our transport infrastructure?

It's not entirely impossible. Manila has some good venues, and half decent infrastructure, but a lot of work needs to be done and hosting another Asian Games as a test doesn't hurt at all.

An Olympics could give a much needed morale boost to such a country, but I do think 2024 is a little too soon. Maybe even just bidding alone will give some morale boosting, but when you know you won't make it, why let the population suffer from that ultimate defeat? Unless of course like I said earlier, it's to see whatever score they make and fix whatever problems the IOC assessment team sees with such an unready Manila bid.

If the bid is privately funded and much of the sporting infrastructure is too (where only general infrastructure is proposed to be publicly financed) then I don't see a problem with such a test bid, even though we all know it won't go anywhere.

Edited by Lord David

I slightly disagree. Manila has more clout and infrastructure than those two cities to make it above them. But it's not ready to host an Olympics.

Another Asian Games is definitely needed to prove if Manila can host something of this magnitude, not to mention gain benefit from infrastructure built. Go chase that dream first.

That's why I put a concrete year to Manila and "x" place holders to the other dreamers.

So if one tiny person throws a mention of an olympic bid that is all it takes? I highly doubt the recently typhoon ravaged country would blow money on a bid.

I agree that opinion.

If they are going to start bidding activity,the government have to spend a lot of money on it. I'm concerned the people might rebel and there might happen some serious political confusions.

and to all the butthurt filipinos who will rant that they (this tread) are belittling our country, do you think we can do an olympic games in our ecomony? with our politicians? and with our transport infrastructure?

Even though my country is very near,I don't know the Philippine's economy very much. Is it good for you or bad now?

Manila would be the best chance for Philippines in my opinion, and also it would be a new territory for the Olympic Movement.

i'm from the philippines and this news almost made me hurl! we lots of problem that needs to be addressed first such the corruption, education, peace and order, infrastructural development before we can even think of bidding for the olympics. first, manila is a very congested city. i cannot imagine where the event will even be staged. next, our sports development is beyond bad! we haven't won a single medal at the olympics since 1996! this is bigger than a pipe dream. i'm sorry but a big NO! we can organise an IOC session. i think that will be a better use of money.

As much as I would like new frontiers to take part, I don't think this is the right moment for the Philippines, specially after such a terrible natural disaster they had just faced.

Then again, Japan faced one much worse than it 2 years before they got elected, so...

Yes, I can't defend that the Olympics costs alot of money and time, but in the long run, it can boost an economy, so maybe this is what the Philippines needs after that natural disaster.