129th IOC Session and Congress 2017.

So this was normally to be decided at the IOC Session in Sochi, then it was going to be 9th May and now it's looking like they'll make the decision at the Extraordinary Session in December... Still, it's better for democracy, I guess, if the entire IOC have a say rather than just the Executive Board as with FIFA (not to mention compliant with the Olympic Charter).

Where did you find this out? Also does anybody know why a host city wasn't elected in Sochi? It just seems weird that they skipped selecting a host for the session, and decided to select the host in May. I don't know where the May 9th date for the host to announced came from.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you find this out? Also does anybody know why a host city wasn't elected in Sochi? It just seems weird that they skipped selecting a host for the session, and decided to select the host in May. I don't know where the May 9th date for the host to announced came from.

#1 - Maybe becuz they haven't gotten a European or North American host since the ones around it are already rotated continentally:

2012 - London / Europe

2013 - Buenos Aires / So. America

2014 - Sochi / Europe

2014 - Monaco / Europe

2015 - Kuala Lumpur / Asia

2016 - Rio / So. America

2017 - ??? - hopefully it would be No. America or Africa but depending on who the 2024 finalist cities are...(not Oceania beczu that would mean another Southern hemisphere setting again...) If there's a 2024 US city and/or Durban and Paris -- then they may have to go to Oz or Canada or the Caribbean for the IOC Session/Congress.

2018 - PyeongChang / Asia

#2 - It's a Congress; so that's a tall order.

#3 - They're also trying to see that it does not coincide with (I guess, it's down to a) G-7 hosting again. So it'll also all depend on which G7 country might be hosting 2017. (If Russia does not get back into the Group; then it would be Italy's turn to host the G7 in 2017.)

They would still need a better campaign than that in order to beat Edmonton. If they do, I don't see them bidding for 2024. Why do you think Istanbul won't make the shortlist?

One word = Erdogan. Also, Istanbul is too risky. Istanbul is no Competition for Rome, Paris, Berlin, Durban and Los Angeles. Baku has better chance IMO. At least they are Building in Preparation for a Future Olympics, Istanbul will only Build when they get the Games.

One word = Erdogan. Also, Istanbul is too risky. Istanbul is no Competition for Rome, Paris, Berlin, Durban and Los Angeles. Baku has better chance IMO. At least they are Building in Preparation for a Future Olympics, Istanbul will only Build when they get the Games.

Your totally correct. Baku stands a much better chance than Istanbul after they didn't make the shortlist for 2020 and Istanbul did. End Sarcasm.

Why your support for Baku? It's no better than Doha which you despise.

Why your support for Baku? It's no better than Doha which you despise.

I'm just impressed with Baku's Investment in Sports Venues and Infrastructure. Qatar has proven how corrupt they are with the 2022 Fifa World Cup. I'm not saying Baku will Win, I don't even believe that Baku will even make the Shortlist, but I would much prefer an Olympic Games in Baku then in Doha.

I'm just impressed with Baku's Investment in Sports Venues and Infrastructure. Qatar has proven how corrupt they are with the 2022 Fifa World Cup. I'm not saying Baku will Win, I don't even believe that Baku will even make the Shortlist, but I would much prefer an Olympic Games in Baku then in Doha.

If you want to learn about Azerbaijan's willingness to corrupt others, just watch next Saturday's Eurovision voting closely (or that of the last six years, too).

Baku is just as corrupt as Qatar, don't be fooled.

I guess I'm just shocked because it seems like the last time there was a bid for an Olympic Congress back in 2006, 9 cities submitted to host. This time around it seems like no cities are interested, except for a handful of cities that the IOC has rejected. I heard a rumor that Helsinki had submitted to host and the IOC was going to announce Helsinki as the host on 9 May, but then that rumor subsided quickly.

In my mind there are plenty of cities available to host, especially in Europe (Brussels, Dublin, Milan, Amsterdam, Glasgow). And Since the Olympic Congress has always met in Europe, I would have though more European cities would be interested. But then again maybe they want a cities outside of Europe (Quebec City or any other Canadian city, Mexico City, San Juan).

Do we even know if the IOC has begun the process to select the host for the Olympic Congress? If so, shouldn't there be an article or a press release, or does the IOC prefer to keep this on the down low?

Helsinki has applied to and openly expressed its interest in hosting the Congress as part of the 100th independence anniversary. They would probably use some of the venues from 1952.

Archived