129th IOC Session and Congress 2017.

Potential Candidates for 129th IOC Session Host. Possibly another Bid from Lima, Peru after losing out to the 127th IOC Session 2015 which Kuala Lumpur won.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Independently from the most heat-stoppin' (Bids for Olympic hosts as the purpose of this site's existence)

But San Juan must go as the host city for the session (HL of Richard Carrion, and yes, the infamous 2004 bid.) The Convention Centre in Condado can serve as the locale where the whole session takes place, especially if the majority of the support comes SOLELY, from the Popular Democratic Party, and NOT the New Progress Party.

Why is this a Congress? They haven't long had one, have they?

Is this where Bach plans to get his reforms through perhaps?

The last Congress was in 2009 in Copenhagen, Denmark, the same location that Rio de Janeiro were selected as Host of the 2016 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games.

I don't know much about the difference between session & congress, could it just be that the session becomes a congress every 8 years then?

I think a Congress is when the IOC makes more detailed decisions, like finance e.t.c, I'm guessing, whereas the Olympic Host City Decision is in the Session.

I think a Session is when only the 110 or so IOC members attend. A Congress involves bringing the 200+ NOC's PLUS the active Federations in the 2 sets of OGs together and involving a wider range of issues. So a Congress might have nearly 500 people attending whereas a Session if just the core body of the IOC (plus all their staffers).

• 1 month later...

According to Wikipedia, Doha, Qatar will host the 129th IOC Session and Congress in 2017, where the host of the 2024 Summer Olympics will be announced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOC_Session

/\/\ Stop making things up, Tony. It doesn't say that at all on the Wiki page.

Someone must of edited the page, as you can do that on Wiki. I bet you edited it, to make me look bad. Anyway. it did say that about an hour ago.

Helsinki is gonna probably be announced as hosts. This is from ATR a while back.

Helsinki wouldn't be a bad choice, I thought Lima, Peru might of Bid, after losing out to Kuala Lumpur for the 2015 Session.

Tony, I don't always believe you; but I have better things to do with my time than try to make you look bad. You already do most of that on your own.

Anyway, how can 2017 be for Doha if they are planning to bid?? That 'rumor' just doesn't make sense.

Well the 2020 Winter Youth Olympics Host decision will be held in Lausanne, and Lausanne is Bidding.

Well the 2020 Winter Youth Olympics Host decision will be held in Lausanne, and Lausanne is Bidding.

True. But Lausanne might be diff becuz it is the hometown of the IOC; so there's no escaping that it is a local bid. But for the bigger prize, they always try to find a neutral site and country to host that session's selection.

True. But Lausanne might be diff becuz it is the hometown of the IOC; so there's no escaping that it is a local bid. But for the bigger prize, they always try to find a neutral site and country to host that session's selection.

I actually agree. Sorry to go off topic, but Baron can you empty your inbox, I need to message you. Back to topic, I would like to see Oceania host a IOC Session, probably New Zealand. Because, apart from the sessions held in Games years, Africa hosted Durban 2011, Asia will host Kuala Lumpur 2015, Europe hosted Copenhagen 2009, North America has had Olympic Games, South America hosted Buenos Aires 2013. I know Australia (Oceania has hosted the Olympics), but Auckland in New Zealand should and could host a IOC Session. With Australia and New Zealand being the strongest countries in Oceania, it could help boost New Zealand for a Commonwealth Games, or even a Summer Olympics in the future.

Archived