129th IOC Session and Congress 2017.

Tony E, I cleared some space.

It's also who presents themselves and wants to take on the effort and expense of hosting a big convention. If they don't find any satisfactory ones, then the IOC picks one and that's when it probably ends up back in Lausanne where it will be cheapest and a most controlled environment for them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony E, I cleared some space.

It's also who presents themselves and wants to take on the effort and expense of hosting a big convention. If they don't find any satisfactory ones, then the IOC picks one and that's when it probably ends up back in Lausanne where it will be cheapest and a most controlled environment for them.

It says you cant receive any messages.

Huh. I tried PMing u in return but I also got the same msg.

U want to try my email: razor323@gmail.com?

Ok go on your e-mail now, I will mail you. Sorry everybody for going off topic.

Back to the Wikipedia topic, I know that a while back, at least a month ago, someone posted that there were 7 cities that were bidding for the 2017 session. The cities were Athens, Beijing , Berlin, Cairo, Guadalajara, Hanoi and Newark. Of course this list is illogical considering the fact that Beijing is bidding for '22 and USA is heavily considering a '24 bid. But it does make you think of some potential cities. I've thought about this and I think Glasgow would make a great host if the independence vote wasn't coming up. Other cities that could host, in my opinion would be Dublin, Brussels and Auckland, who I believe is building a new convention center which the session could be held at.

Also just a quick question. Would this be the 130th IOC session since there's an extraordinary session being held at the end of 2014? Or do the extraordinary sessions not count?

"Helsinki could have the inside track to host the 2017 IOC session. Around the Rings is told that after receiving “weak” bids from two other cities, the IOC relaunched the tender for the meeting where the 2024 Olympic host city will be chosen.

The NOC of Finland submitted a bid last week. The last time. Helsinki hosted an IOC session was in 1952, just prior to the summer games in the Finnish capital."

Sourcehttp://www.aroundtherings.com/site/A__45177/Title__IOC-Brainstorm-2017-Session-OCA-Meeting-Doubts-Merlo-Meets-Bach/292/Articles

Last time I checked (and was there myself), Helsinki was in Europe.

Lol! Anyway, I don't think anything is official yet. As stated by someone else already, decision is on 9th May 2014.

In my opinion, an Olympic Congress should be held every 4 years, so 2013, 2017, 2021 etc. I know, you might all think 4 years is a bit on the short side, but an IOC's Presidents maximum term is 12 years. They should review and have a vote every 4 years, to see if they want the current IOC President still President. So, 2013, Bach get's elected. 2017, a review on his job, and a vote of confidence, or no confidence. Same again in 2021. Then in 2025, his term ends no matter what. A new President is elected.

I still don't get what the difference is...always thought that a Congress was a Session where a President was elected, but 2013 was just a session wasn't it? Oh well...

Session = Electing a host city, Electing a President and adding new sports and gathering from ONLY the IOC Members, and Bid Members.

Congress = Financial side, where they can improve and gathering from ALL 204 NOC's.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, didn't know where else to put this, so I will put it here as the 129th IOC Session is where the Host City for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics will be announced. These are details about potential and serious Bidders for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics:

Rome:

Major City of Europe, has Venues in place from the 1960 Summer Olympics, some can have major Renovations, some built Brand new. Would be a favourite to win aswell.

Paris:

Has Bid several times, Major City of Europe, has an existing Olympic Stadium and Velodrome, and would also be a favourite to win aswell.

Berlin:

Has Hosted before in the 1936 Summer Olympics. Would also be a favourite and is a Major City of Europe.

Baku:

Baku will Bid again, but won't be a favourite. Will probably get eliminated from the shortlist again. Hosting the 2015 European Games.

Istanbul:

Istanbul will Bid again, but won't be a favourite. Will probably get eliminated from the shortlist.

Durban:

Is definitley a favourite, would be the first Olympic Games in the Continent of Africa. Has an 'Olympic Stadium' in place.

Doha:

Will Bid again, will get eliminated from the shortlist, especially after the problems with the 2022 Fifa World Cup. Doha's motto for a Bid should be 'Too Hot, too corrupt, too small and homophobic, don't choose us to save the Olympic movement'.

Guadalajara:

Hosted the 2011 Pan and Parapan American Games, has Venues in place (Though needs expansions and Renovations) and would be a new CITY.

Los Angeles:

Would be America's best Candidate for a Summer Games (Seeing as though New York City and Chicago don't want an Olympic Games), Hosted in 1932 and 1984.

I said us as it's sarcasm from their point of view.

• 1 month later...

So this was normally to be decided at the IOC Session in Sochi, then it was going to be 9th May and now it's looking like they'll make the decision at the Extraordinary Session in December... Still, it's better for democracy, I guess, if the entire IOC have a say rather than just the Executive Board as with FIFA (not to mention compliant with the Olympic Charter).

I agree it should be the 130th or actually the 131st Session as not only is there the Extraordinary Session in Monaco, but there was one last year in Lausanne. There is no fast rule on having one Session per year - there are several years where the IOC have had two Sessions (that have been counted in the numbering), with the 114th Session in Cancun and the 115th Session in Prague - both in 2003. Don't know what is going on there..

They do give a report on the finance commission and the other commissions too, in a Session... the difference between a Session and a Congress is that.the Session is similar to a company AGM with the standard year to year business being discussed and only one plenary Session. IOC Members primarily take part in the Session with a honorary, honour members (when applicable and when invited by the President), the honorary President for Life (when applicable). A Congress is called to discuss how the Olympic Movement is to move forward as an organisation. There are several parallel meetings, as well as a plenary (which itself forms the Session). Honour members are automatically invited to Congresses (unlike the Session) and whilst there are IF and NOC representatives at the Session (on a consultative basis, usually at a Session it is people like the Presidents of ANOCA, ASOIF, AIOWF etc.), there is a larger number of representatives and general input from these groups.

Paris won't bid for 2024 SoG. France try to reduce national deficit and they won"t spend money for SoG. Moreover South Africa and USA will be favorite.

2024 USA, 2028 Durban... maybe 2032 for France ?

Right, didn't know where else to put this, so I will put it here as the 129th IOC Session is where the Host City for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics will be announced. These are details about potential and serious Bidders for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics:

Rome:

Major City of Europe, has Venues in place from the 1960 Summer Olympics, some can have major Renovations, some built Brand new. Would be a favourite to win aswell.

Paris:

Has Bid several times, Major City of Europe, has an existing Olympic Stadium and Velodrome, and would also be a favourite to win aswell.

Berlin:

Has Hosted before in the 1936 Summer Olympics. Would also be a favourite and is a Major City of Europe.

Baku:

Baku will Bid again, but won't be a favourite. Will probably get eliminated from the shortlist again. Hosting the 2015 European Games.

Istanbul:

Istanbul will Bid again, but won't be a favourite. Will probably get eliminated from the shortlist.

Durban:

Is definitley a favourite, would be the first Olympic Games in the Continent of Africa. Has an 'Olympic Stadium' in place.

Doha:

Will Bid again, will get eliminated from the shortlist, especially after the problems with the 2022 Fifa World Cup. Doha's motto for a Bid should be 'Too Hot, too corrupt, too small and homophobic, don't choose us to save the Olympic movement'.

Guadalajara:

Hosted the 2011 Pan and Parapan American Games, has Venues in place (Though needs expansions and Renovations) and would be a new CITY.

Los Angeles:

Would be America's best Candidate for a Summer Games (Seeing as though New York City and Chicago don't want an Olympic Games), Hosted in 1932 and 1984.

I said us as it's sarcasm from their point of view.

If Baku and Istanbul chose to bid, I'd be surprised to see either not make the short list (unless they suddenly put a terrible plan together or the European Games were a disaster). I also wouldn't be too quick to say Chicago don't want a Games - they're still interested and still bidding for stuff/ wanting to bid for stuff. I think if Durban gets the Commonwealth Games, it's unlikely we'll see them bid for 2024 as well (although they will very likely go for a later edition). Having said that, the current campaign of "we deserve the Commonwealth Games because Africa has never hosted" didn't work for Abuja and it won't work for Durban if they try to keep it up...

If Baku and Istanbul chose to bid, I'd be surprised to see either not make the short list (unless they suddenly put a terrible plan together or the European Games were a disaster). I also wouldn't be too quick to say Chicago don't want a Games - they're still interested and still bidding for stuff/ wanting to bid for stuff. I think if Durban gets the Commonwealth Games, it's unlikely we'll see them bid for 2024 as well (although they will very likely go for a later edition). Having said that, the current campaign of "we deserve the Commonwealth Games because Africa has never hosted" didn't work for Abuja and it won't work for Durban if they try to keep it up...

But Durban is a much more secure City then Abuja is. Also, I don't think Istanbul and Baku will make the Shortlist, especially with Rome, Paris, Berlin, Durban and Los Angeles all

Considering Bidding. I prefer Baku over Istanbul and Doha.

But Durban is a much more secure City then Abuja is. Also, I don't think Istanbul and Baku will make the Shortlist, especially with Rome, Paris, Berlin, Durban and Los Angeles all

Considering Bidding. I prefer Baku over Istanbul and Doha.

They would still need a better campaign than that in order to beat Edmonton. If they do, I don't see them bidding for 2024. Why do you think Istanbul won't make the shortlist?

Archived