2023 Pan American Games

Tatsh

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

Buenos AIres pulls out from the race for 2023 Pan Am Games. leaving Santiago as the only candidate for the event making it the host for the 2023 Panamerican Games!!!!!

This can mean:

-Chile has finally a golden opportunity and can put certain condiction by their own.

-Argentina is srly in a full reconstruction. I wonder how much the Young Olympics will cost.

4 minutes ago, Roger87 said:

This can mean:

-Chile has finally a golden opportunity and can put certain condiction by their own.

-Argentina is srly in a full reconstruction. I wonder how much the Young Olympics will cost.

Argentina pulls out for economical reasons... They will try for 2027 Games... And will bid for 2030 Olympics... 

Congrats Santiago. About bloody time. 

Hubby just got back from Santiago - his first time home in 17 years. He said he was impressed by its development and improvement - it still has its problems, but those problems now are more of (slowly) rising affluence and inequality than of the widespread poverty he grew up with.

So, a BA Olympic bid for 2030??? Good luck with that!

4 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

So, a BA Olympic bid for 2030??? Good luck with that!

It's what they said... Argentina , after the withdraw, totally supports Santiago 2023... And I hope Chile supports Buenos Aires 2030 Olympics... The second Olympics in South America...

A few moments ago, Chilean Sport Minister, Pablo Squella, confirmed that the Goverment goes ahead with the bid... So, it is the virtual host for 2023 Panamerican Games. the first Pan Am in Chile ever!!!! Squella appealed Chile will try to host the best Pan Ams ever...

You can not imagine how happy I am!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I'm so pissed off...

There won't be any bid for 2027 or 2030 or whatever guys, it's just damage control so they don't get berated by the press.

Payasos impresentables COA, váyanse con Macri juntos bien a la mierda.

Congratulations Chile btw.

• Like 1

I smell a rat here. Buenos Aires pulls out a few days before the PASO Presidential election, leaving Santiago as the sole bidder. Neven Ilic, a Chilean, is seeking the position against Mr. Incompetent, Carlos Nuzman. No way Chile gets both the Games and the Presidency in the same year. To me it looks as if Nuzman perhaps paid off the BA people to back out in order to undercut the chances of his main opposition and, in return, will do everything in his power to see that BA gets the 2027 Games.

Whatever the case, I would have preferred Santiago anyway.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BTHarner said:

I smell a rat here. Buenos Aires pulls out a few days before the PASO Presidential election, leaving Santiago as the sole bidder. Neven Ilic, a Chilean, is seeking the position against Mr. Incompetent, Carlos Nuzman. No way Chile gets both the Games and the Presidency in the same year. To me it looks as if Nuzman perhaps paid off the BA people to back out in order to undercut the chances of his main opposition and, in return, will do everything in his power to see that BA gets the 2027 Games.

Whatever the case, I would have preferred Santiago anyway.

This is a great point, but I also think we don't need to forget the current situation in Argentina. Macri's government is facing a rough time with lower numbers of approval by his government and the upcoming legislative elections, he seems to focus for other strategies. Losing this bid would be a hard damage, while securing a better offer. Both elements can enter in the same situation.

Well, FINALLY!!! After cancelling twice and being beaten by Lima a few years ago, FINALLY we will host a major international event! As Roland said, it was bloody time!

Although the PASO election may have influenced something (you can't discard anything in any Latin American sport organization), it always seemed to me that the BA bid didn't have future. Yes, they would had the infrastructure from the YOG, but I'm not even sure they are doing a lot about it. The situation in Argentina is still very complicated politically and economically so I wasn't sure they will commit with this bid... just like La Punta, I thought it was more a show than a serious intention.

• Like 1

http://chile.as.com/chile/2017/04/21/masdeporte/1492806953_278571.html

According to this report, all Santiago needs is to confirm once more the requirements they offered in their bid to become officialized by PASO. So they pretty much have one feet in the games already. Honestly, it's not like BA had much of a chance against Santiago, tbh. Argentina is still fixing the mess which was left by the Kirchner family, and Macri is not doing an exceptional job either.  Still, after the surprise we got in 2013 when Lima defeated Santiago, anything could happen.

I'm personally happy Santiago won. Seeing how Chile is pretty much the leading powerhouse in South America at the moment it was kind of sad we've never seen them host much events besides the 2015 Copa America and 2014 ODESUR (They had the right to host them in 1975 but everything went to hell when certain anglophile decided to use the stadium as a slaughter camp.)

Congratulations, Santiago! I hope you host excelent games in 2023

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:41 AM, Ikarus360 said:

http://chile.as.com/chile/2017/04/21/masdeporte/1492806953_278571.html

According to this report, all Santiago needs is to confirm once more the requirements they offered in their bid to become officialized by PASO. So they pretty much have one feet in the games already. Honestly, it's not like BA had much of a chance against Santiago, tbh. Argentina is still fixing the mess which was left by the Kirchner family, and Macri is not doing an exceptional job either.  Still, after the surprise we got in 2013 when Lima defeated Santiago, anything could happen.

I'm personally happy Santiago won. Seeing how Chile is pretty much the leading powerhouse in South America at the moment it was kind of sad we've never seen them host much events besides the 2015 Copa America and 2014 ODESUR (They had the right to host them in 1975 but everything went to hell when certain anglophile decided to use the stadium as a slaughter camp.)

Congratulations, Santiago! I hope you host excelent games in 2023

Actually, I was thinking Buenos Aires would win IF they were at least serious about it. It's all politics and influence, not really who can present the best bid for PASO. And Argentina currently has more weight than Chile in the organization + IIRC the voting system would give advantage to Argentina because they hosted before (for 2019 Santiago got the same votes as.... La Punta).

Not a huge fan of the logo, but it is ok. I love the idea of showing the Andes in it! I hope they keep it somehow in the final logo.
Too bad the BA 2004 bid used the condor, it would have been my favourite thing for a Santiago logo.

Really hope they keep the Andes theme in the logo, since it's one of the most iconic elements of Santiago landscape (if not the most iconic), plus the fact it connects most of the west coast of South America. 

I thought the logo of the ill fated 1975 Pan Ams was also very stylish even if obviously inspired by Munich '72. A styized version of Chile coat of arms

latest?cb=20140727032454&path-prefix=es

ok, some surprises in PASO president election: Neven Ilic avoided the cut in first round of vote by winning a tie-breaker with Nuzman and then also won the final round against Puello by one vote! (26-25). So in short, the Puello voters made him win against Nuzman and then the Nuzman voters made him win against Puello. Hilarious.

Good riddance. Arthur Nuzman was starting to become annoying tbh. 

I would like to criticize the Rio games but it seems I can't do it anymore without some popping out saying how exagerated I am. In the meanwhile....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/04/06/rio-olympics-officials-reportedly-trying-to-pay-debts-with-old-air-conditioners/

Everything Nuzman touches turns into a disaster, so it is with great relief that he did not win this election.  Ilic represents a new generation of leadership which was sorely needed after 40 years of Don Mario and his interim successor Maglione (who will always be remembered for almost turning the Toronto OC into the world's largest slumber party).  One only needs to look at PASO's website (which at last check, made no mention of the results of today's election) to see how out of touch they are with the modern world. Hopefully we will see a more polished, professional organization that makes a better attempt to promote its signature event in major markets where it is often considered an afterthought, if thought of at all.

• 6 months later...