2023 Pan American Games

Tatsh

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Why? It seems like a great place to me. 

Political and economic turmoil. Just because the city looks pretty doesn't mean it as well as the rest of the country are without its issues. I'm not against another Brazilian Pan Am games, but let it come at a time when they have their s**t together, which isn't right now.

1 minute ago, LatinXTC said:

Political and economic turmoil. Just because the city looks pretty doesn't mean it as well as the rest of the country are without its issues. I'm not against another Brazilian Pan Am games, but let it come at a time when they have their s**t together, which isn't right now.

Political turmoil is a *good* thing. It's what you get in democracies. People marching in the streets to support their side, a legislature following the constitution and law to remove a president they accuse of being corrupt to stand trial. Not know which side will win the next election because both sides have a chance?? Unless you want places like Uzbekistan. Which wouldn't be a good host for the Pan Am's anyway. 

I'm curious... do you think the US "has it's s**t together" and should be allowed to host? We've got a lunatic (or if you prefer, a murderer) running for POTUS, police killing citizens, citizens killing police, riots in the streets. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

I'm curious... do you think the US "has it's s**t together" and should be allowed to host? We've got a lunatic (or if you prefer, a murderer) running for POTUS, police killing citizens, citizens killing police, riots in the streets. 

Yes. We have our **** together. 95% of our government is not under criminal investigation, we remain the most powerful nation in the world, and while our racial problems are real...our crime rate and level of corruption are no where near that of Brazil.

35 minutes ago, mr.bernham said:

Yes. We have our **** together. 95% of our government is not under criminal investigation, we remain the most powerful nation in the world, and while our racial problems are real...our crime rate and level of corruption are no where near that of Brazil.

That's gonna mean nothing for the rest of the world is you don't do the right thing and hand Trump a big arse-kick come November.

7 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

95% of our government is not under criminal investigation.

Doesn't mean, though, that a lot of that "95%" shouldn't be under criminal investigation. There's the saying "if you want to be a legal criminal, then become a politician". There's even 2016 campaign ads that cite that Hillary Clinton should be "in prison" for some of her actions. My guess is that they're speaking from experience. 

7 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

our crime rate and level of corruption are no where near that of Brazil.

That maybe so, but the major difference there is that Brazil is a developing nation, while the U.S. is not. Brazil's social issues were no secret back in 2009 when they got elected. The IOC knew what they were getting themselves into. But as usual, the IOC had the fallacy that the Olympic Games would make big changes there.

I think one of the major reasons why Brazil is having so much trouble (which is being overlooked now, but was a big point of contention back during the 2016 bid campaign), is that Brazil bit off more than they can chew with hosting the 2014 World Cup AND the 2016 Olympic Games only two years apart from each other.

If anything, the Olympic Games probably should've came first. Or there should've been more gap time between the two events. But I believe the two mega events being so close to one another was too much in the end for a developing nation to swallow. The IOC should take note for future site elections.

8 minutes ago, FYI said:

I think one of the major reasons why Brazil is having so much trouble (which is being overlooked now, but was a big point of contention back during the 2016 bid campaign), is that Brazil bit off more than they can chew with hosting the 2014 World Cup AND the 2016 Olympic Games only two years apart from each other.

If anything, the Olympic Games probably should've came first. Or there should've been more gap time between the two events. But I believe the two mega events being so close to one another was too much in the end for a developing nation to swallow. The IOC should take note for future site elections.

Interesting contrast between the two is that two years ago, ahead of the World Cup, there were lots of highly covered demonstrations AGAINST that tournament and the spending on it. Noteworthy also because they're such a notoriously fanatical football country.

Flash forward to 2016 and there's lots of demonstrations again. But this time it seems to be all pro and counter to their domestic political crisis. I haven't heard of any protests against the Olympics themselves (and, considering the disaster scenarios being painted in the media ahead of the games, I doubt I doubt they would have missed the chance to highlight that if it happened). 

More about Porto Alegre

Population (2010)
 • City    1,509,939 (10th in Brazil)
 • Density    3,030/km2 (7,800/sq mi)
 • Metro    4,405,769 (4th in Brazil)

Time zone    UTC-3 (UTC-3)
 • Summer (DST)    UTC-2 (UTC-2)

Köppen climate: Cfa
Temperature in August:
Max: 20,4º C
Min: 11,5º C

vista-para-o-centro-de.jpg

The structure:

The Gigantinho ("Little Giant" in Portuguese) is a sports arena in Porto Alegre, Brazil.

Capacity    14,586
Opened    November 4, 1973

Resultado de imagem para gigantinho ginasio

gigantinho-recebe-grande-publico-neste-s

Ginásio Tesourinha

Capacity    8,000
Opened    1988

382640.JPG&Tamanho=690

Poa-24-horas-reprod-78.jpg

SOGIPASociedade de Ginástica Porto Alegre

It has twelve tennis courts, synthetic athletics track - pools and a sports center with over 14,000 square meters of built area, divided into three floors. Altogether, there are nine gyms for various sports, fitness centers, fitness, medical clinic and accommodations.

On 8/16/2016 at 7:29 AM, zekekelso said:

Political turmoil is a *good* thing. It's what you get in democracies. People marching in the streets to support their side, a legislature following the constitution and law to remove a president they accuse of being corrupt to stand trial. Not know which side will win the next election because both sides have a chance?? Unless you want places like Uzbekistan. Which wouldn't be a good host for the Pan Am's anyway. 

Did you just mention the US in indirect association with the Pan American Games? Let's see when the US finally does want to do a proper bid...

1 hour ago, Lord David said:

Did you just mention the US in indirect association with the Pan American Games? Let's see when the US finally does want to do a proper bid...

Well they did for I think the 2007 games. San Antonio. They lost to Rio. Wish they had put in a bid for the 2011 ones I feel they might have had a better chance to win it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/8/2016 at 10:30 AM, Andre de Gotha said:

For 2023, six cities have shown interest.

São Paulo- BRA (hosted in 1963) 

San Juan- PUR (hosted in 1979)

Mar del Plata- ARG (hosted in 1995) 

Rosario-ARG, (never hosted),

Medellín-COL (never hosted)

Porto Alegre-BRA (never hosted)

And Santiago, CHI. Chilean NOC President, Neven Ilic, declared that Santiago MUST bid again. But I think it all will be decided after the presidential election (next year).

When is the deadline to register the bid?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2016 at 9:59 AM, intoronto said:

Fernando CzyzVerified account
‏@fczyz
Los Comités Olímpicos de USA y Cuba avanzan en una candidatura conjunta de Miami y La Habana para los Juegos Panamericanos 2023

A journalists from EFE tweeted that (and is also verified...)

Miami/Havana Joint bid ??

Man I hope not. I can't imagine any of the venues from the 1990s pan am games in Havana have been maintained and are suitable enough to host any events. But it is a nice idea and a giant step forward to improving our relations with Cuba.

San Juan could be a great host, but given the dire economic straits that Puerto Rico is currently in, it is indeed hard to imagine that they would bid. 2023 is not that far away and a government that can't afford to keep its schools open should know its priorities.

If the economy rebounds in the next couple of years, however, I'd say that San Juan is definitely an option. Looking at their bid book voor the 2004 Olympics and seeing how many venues are actually in place, it could really work very well. The Olympics should be a bit too big for Puerto Rico, but the PanAms would be great.