2023 Pan American Games

Tatsh

I'm sure Chile will manage to build a great bid and its only -strong- disadvantage is the fact of neighbour Perú hosting the previous games (what would also work against Medellín). Imagine a lineup like this:

Santiago

Medellín

Miami New Orleans

San José

Panamá

This would be a really tight competition. A single Central American bid would be stronger, they could cancel each other in the first rounds. Colombia is linving a great moment sports-wise and that would work in their favour, but right now I think is Santiago to lose.

There! Now you have really tight competition.

• 3 weeks later...

:lol: So not happening. Too soon after the 2007 games and Brasília's 2019 Universiade is a victim of hosting fatigue following 2014 and 2016. Porto Alegre's last event of this kind was the 1963 Universiade. A PanAms there will cost billions in excess. Brasilia would be a logical next choice if (a big if) Brazil ever tries to get a games next decade. Besides that, many South American countries are lining up ahead of us to the PanAms: Chile, Colombia, Venezuela, Argentina (maybe)...

• 4 weeks later...

Not necessarily if you have too few bidders. Especially ones which aren't considered ready.

A chance for Winnipeg to claim the first 3 time host dealie.

What it would be too soon for is of course if Edmonton gets the nod for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. It means less government funding for any Winnipeg Pan American Games.

Edited by Lord David

Not necessarily if you have too few bidders. Especially ones which aren't considered ready.

What it would be too soon for is of course if Edmonton gets the nod for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. It means less government funding for any Winnipeg Pan American Games.

The federal government in Canada will not be funding the cwg...

Few cities and not ready for this year (but Santiago and Medellin has hosted ODESUR games), but these scenario is early for 2023 bids.

Just in 2015-2016 the panorama about bid cities will be clearer.

• 4 months later...

Miami, New Orleans, and San Antonio are non-starters for a Pan American Games. The local politics in Miami are a nightmare. Trying to get funding or change zoning laws is worth than navigating a bill through Congress. New Orleans and San Antonio both lack the public transportation systems to handle the influx of spectators during the games. Neither city has any light trail or intra city rail. Both rely on buses and a couple of streetcar lines. The logistics would be too difficult. San Antonio is the 8th largest city in the U.S. (it has surpassed Dallas as the 2nd biggest city in Texas) but it is also the largest city without any passenger, commuter, or light rail which it desperately needs.

Miami, New Orleans, and San Antonio are non-starters for a Pan American Games. The local politics in Miami are a nightmare. Trying to get funding or change zoning laws is worth than navigating a bill through Congress. New Orleans and San Antonio both lack the public transportation systems to handle the influx of spectators during the games. Neither city has any light trail or intra city rail. Both rely on buses and a couple of streetcar lines. The logistics would be too difficult. San Antonio is the 8th largest city in the U.S. (it has surpassed Dallas as the 2nd biggest city in Texas) but it is also the largest city without any passenger, commuter, or light rail which it desperately needs.

Unfortunately it's not just a San Antonio thing it's an overall Texas thing. As we saw with Dallas' attempt to be the US selection for the 2024 Olympics their bid was going to predominately focus on figuring out your own transportation for getting around. People here love their oils and cars too much to rely on public transportation, even if it was for a day.

Houston though is faring better, as they're expanding their light rail system and do have a city-wide bus and park-and-ride transportation. It's not enough though, as the light rail doesn't go far west, far south, and far east where it is very much needed. But still, if Texas wants to host the Pan American games, or even Olympics, Houston would be the best bet.

• Like 1

Houston though is faring better, as they're expanding their light rail system and do have a city-wide bus and park-and-ride transportation. It's not enough though, as the light rail doesn't go far west, far south, and far east where it is very much needed. But still, if Texas wants to host the Pan American games, or even Olympics, Houston would be the best bet.

I would say that Houston and New Orleans are the best options for the next large sporting event in the South. New Orleans for the culture, but Houston for its size and capabilities.

Houston is probably one of my favorite cities in the South next to New Orleans, Austin, Baton Rouge (It's home), and Savannah.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that Houston and New Orleans are the best options for the next large sporting event in the South. New Orleans for the culture, but Houston for its size and capabilities.

Houston is probably one of my favorite cities in the South next to New Orleans, Austin, Baton Rouge (It's home), and Savannah.

New Orleans has the cultural aspect but again, any large scale event like an Olympics or Pan Ams requires a mass transit system outside of streetcars and buses. San Antonio's 2007 Pan Am bid was routinely criticized for its transportation issues (not that it would've beaten Rio anyway). In terms of mass transit system suitable to handle an influx of spectators, Houston and Dallas are your best bets.

I was just in Austin in December. It's the fastest growing city in the state and one of the fastest growing cities nationwide. Great place to visit too.

New Orleans should do fine in a Pan Am bid if that city's main concern is transport infrastructure. It's not that Pan American Games hosts are usually the most transit effective cities in the continent anyway. Under Raña, PASO cared about the village and sports venues in place and barely anything else.

San Antonio is the 8th largest city in the U.S. (it has surpassed Dallas as the 2nd biggest city in Texas) but it is also the largest city without any passenger, commuter, or light rail which it desperately needs.

Can't they throw in more of those barges on Riverwalk -- and that should take care of the crowds? Set up a bullet train between downtown and the Alamo and back??

Can't they throw in more of those barges on Riverwalk -- and that should take care of the crowds? Set up a bullet train between downtown and the Alamo and back??

Downtown San Antonio is actually very walkable with the Alamo, Tower of the Americas, the Alamodome, Gonzalez Convention Center, and of course the Riverwalk. It's getting downtown that is the tough part. Traffic on I-35 is backed up every day of the week at nearly every hour. Actually in recent years there was been discussion about a bullet train being built that would connect San Antonio with Austin and later with Dallas. The catch is getting the funding to do so.

Downtown San Antonio is actually very walkable with the Alamo, Tower of the Americas, the Alamodome, Gonzalez Convention Center, and of course the Riverwalk. It's getting downtown that is the tough part. Traffic on I-35 is backed up every day of the week at nearly every hour. Actually in recent years there was been discussion about a bullet train being built that would connect San Antonio with Austin and later with Dallas. The catch is getting the funding to do so.

Actually that will never happen unless the bullet train between Houston and Dallas happens. Bullet Trains connecting San Antonio and Austin will come later than that. But you never know. Although I welcome any bullet trains going to any major cities, I think with so many football fans in Houston and Dallas, especially so many Cowboys fans living in Houston, a bullet train between Dallas and Houston would be more useful. Oh also if it manages to connect all the way to Galveston, even better. People can escape there for a quick weekend both ways without having to drive.

I'm actually really excited about the Texas High Speed rail system that may be built, isn't it nicknamed the 'Texas Triangle'? Living in South Louisiana I really love the growth that is happening in the Gulf Coast region and for me Texas is kind of like the South's California. The fact that Houston is almost the third largest city in the country, Austin is the South's San Francisco, San Antonio beautifully combines American and Mexican culture and heritage, and Dallas being a huge northern anchor excites me. I hope some of the growth and the Texan mindset of progress and strong economic policies will spill over and infect Louisiana's incompetent rulers.

I think Austin and Houston would have to be my two favorite Texas cities and two of my national favorite cities, so if either one were to bid for the Pan-Ams I would back it. I would also be able to attend given I have family in both cities. Texas really is just a great state and I can only hope that the South will begin to adapt some of Texas' policies to fit their states.

However, I also love New Orleans and the prospect of a bid excites me. I would be interested in looking more into what a Texan city bid would look like and what a New Orleans bid would look like.

To address those concerns about transportation, New Orleans is about to get a passenger rail to Baton Rouge and there has been some talk of a light rail system being implemented in New Orleans. I think the one thing holding it back is money and the density of New Orleans, I mean it is really dense.

So Quaker, where are your multiple :rolleyes: over these!

Especially when Texans' don't consider themselves part of the "south". :-P

Well FYI they were generalizations meant to generically describe the similarities between Texas and California, and Austin and San Francisco. Maybe if you didn't take them so literally you would have understood the point I was trying to make.

I also do not appreciate how you removed the context of my comment in order to prove an non-existent and childish point. I'm not going to go into details and try and point out the similarities between Texas and California or Austin and San Francisco because I feel that it is pointless to go into and any person with a basic understanding of those states and cities would be able to pick out the similarities I'm implying.

Now who's being "harshly insulting". :rolleyes:

I generally don't have a problem with comparisons. But the poster who I mentioned in relation to your post does. And thus, I was wondering where their 'harsh' criticism of your "generic" comparisons were, since they're always so eager to point out how silly they are. So the 'context' of the rest of your post was irrelevant for such purpose.

Now who's being "harshly insulting". :rolleyes:

I generally don't have a problem with comparisons. But the poster who I mentioned in relation to your post does. And thus, I was wondering where their 'harsh' criticism of your "generic" comparisons were, since they're always so eager to point out how silly they are. So the 'context' of the rest of your post was irrelevant for such purpose.

And it was absolutely vital to this discussion to ask for criticism of a simple and as you say 'silly' comparison? I'm failing to truly understand how that is important, beneficial, contributing, or vital to the discussion taking place in this thread.

Well FYI they were generalizations meant to generically describe the similarities between Texas and California, and Austin and San Francisco. Maybe if you didn't take them so literally you would have understood the point I was trying to make.

Simile-vs.-Metaphor.jpg

There's a difference between pointing out similarities and saying "Austin IS the South's San Francisco." I get what you're saying pointing out the cultural connections, but to imply that Texas is to the South what California is to.. (I guess we're saying the rest of the United States here?) that's going a little too far to make a bad comparison. Nor does it help further the discussion, IMO. I'm not taking them literally, but it begs the question.. why. Why can't it be "here's what makes these 2 things similar" rather than "thing 1 is the thing 2 of thing 3"

It doesn't, & that was the whole point.

Well In my opinion, and no offense to you, but I think that is a pretty poor way to carry on a discussion. It seems out of your character because what I read from you is mostly intriguing, informative, and educated.

Simile-vs.-Metaphor.jpg

There's a difference between pointing out similarities and saying "Austin IS the South's San Francisco." I get what you're saying pointing out the cultural connections, but to imply that Texas is to the South what California is to.. (I guess we're saying the rest of the United States here?) that's going a little too far to make a bad comparison. Nor does it help further the discussion, IMO. I'm not taking them literally, but it begs the question.. why. Why can't it be "here's what makes these 2 things similar" rather than "thing 1 is the thing 2 of thing 3"

Had I done that we would be debating the similarities that I pointed out, but to more directly answer your question is is easier to say "thing 1 is the thing 2 of thing 3", and it operates under the assumption that those the comment is being made to will understand what the metaphor is implicating.