2023 Pan American Games

Tatsh

(This is list from the past few years, and the most notable films and shows)

1. 12 Years a Slave
  2. Oblivion
  3. Fantastic Four
  4. Pitch Perfect
  5. Dallas Buyers Club
  6. Bonnie and Clyde
  7. 21 Jump Street
  8. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer
  9. Battle Los Angeles (more was shot in Louisiana than LA)
  10. Battleship
  11. Because of Winn Dixie
  12. Django Unchained
  13. Dukes of Hazard
  14. G.I. Joe: Retaliation
  15. Jurassic Park 4 (Jurassic World)
  16. Left Behind (2014 re-boot)
  17. Olympus Has Fallen
  18. Steel Magnolias
  19. Texas Chainsaw
  20. Vampires Suck
  21. Maze Runner
  22. Top Chef
  23. Who Do You Think You Are
  24. The Host
  25. Beautiful Creatures
  26. True Blood,

There are more even more being filmed now and expected for next year, I felt this list was long enough though.

and most of them suck

and most of them suck

Does it matter? The state still had some big name films that won oscars, is attracting more of the film industry than California and the trend is only picking up steam. They do not call Baton Rouge/Louisiana Hollywood South for nothing...

Sorry meant New Orleans/Baton Rouge

the red seems a little small and cut off

^(referring to the logo of NOLA)

Yeah, I don't like the logo too much.

I think the NO.LA means: New Orleans, Louisiana.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure out-of-state Americans wouldn't usually call New Orleans en-oh. You don't exactly see people yelling "YO I'M HEADING DOWN TO EN-OH IN ELL-AIEE (LA: Louisiana)". Besides, I don't see the point in adding the "LA" part in their marketing ID. It's not like there's another major city named New Orleans in another state.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure out-of-state Americans wouldn't usually call New Orleans en-oh. You don't exactly see people yelling "YO I'M HEADING DOWN TO EN-OH IN ELL-AIEE (LA: Louisiana)". Besides, I don't see the point in adding the "LA" part in their marketing ID. It's not like there's another major city named New Orleans in another state.

Yeah but it's the city's nick name, it was a play on NOLA. At least that's what I gathered from it. I honestly think that their logo is crap and if that's what to expect from this bid then no thanks. I would rather a plain Texas city host then another Louisiana flop...I think this plan has potential they just need to exploit it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Atlanta already hosted, and Houston lacks international appeal/status.

Atlanta already hosted the Summer Olympics game, it's never hosted a Pan American games. And Mexico City already hosted the Summer Olympics, and the Pan American games, before it was named host to another Pan American games. Granted that was a different time, but really it's not different than these days. There are a lot of nations who aren't big or organized enough to even host the smaller-scale Pan American games.

And Houston lacks international appeal/status??? Umm, no.

Texas in general is rich in oil, and that has brought businessmen from around the world and has made Houston the 4th largest city in the US. Houston holds the Offshore Technology Conference, the largest oil and gas sector trade show in the world, yearly in may, bringing in more than 50,000 people from over 100 countries. Our Texas Medical Center in Houston is the largest medical center in the world, and brings patients over 7 million patients annually, and over 20,000 of those are international patients predominately from other countries in the Americas.

And of course we have the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, or Houston Rodeo for short. It brings in over 2 million people within a 3-week period a year, and is the largest live enteratinment and livestock exhibition in the world. It attracts ranchers/farmers from all over the world.

As far as appeal, I'd say we have as much cultural appeal as many past winners, including Toronto and Lima. Houston and Toronto both do not have cultural depth compared to other cities in our countries, but that doesn't mean anything. I've been to Toronto, and it's a great city regardless of the lack of deep-rooted culture. The restaurants, shops, museums, clubs, bars, and neighborhoods are great. Houston has an amazing museum district, with our art museum far surpassing most cities in the US. We have some great festivals throughout the year, including food truck and beer festivals. We're improving our bike trails and parks. We could easily be a Pan American host if we were interested, and if the USOC was interested in putting a US bid.

Also, if we don't have international status/appeal, then how do you explain cities such as Winnipeg, Mar De Plata, Indiannapolis and Cali winning to host the Pan American games? Outside of their own countries, they're virtually unknowns internationally. And remember, these games only have North and South American countries involved, so it doesn't matter whether Europe, Asia, or the Africa knows who we are, but we are certainly known by people a good number of people from other continents, regardless if it's just from a business perspective.

Atlanta already hosted the Summer Olympics game, it's never hosted a Pan American games. And Mexico City already hosted the Summer Olympics, and the Pan American games, before it was named host to another Pan American games. Granted that was a different time, but really it's not different than these days. There are a lot of nations who aren't big or organized enough to even host the smaller-scale Pan American games.

Texas in general is rich in oil, and that has brought businessmen from around the world and has made Houston the 4th largest city in the US. Houston holds the Offshore Technology Conference, the largest oil and gas sector trade show in the world, yearly in may, bringing in more than 50,000 people from over 100 countries. Our Texas Medical Center in Houston is the largest medical center in the world, and brings patients over 7 million patients annually, and over 20,000 of those are international patients predominately from other countries in the Americas.

And of course we have the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, or Houston Rodeo for short. It brings in over 2 million people within a 3-week period a year, and is the largest live enteratinment and livestock exhibition in the world. It attracts ranchers/farmers from all over the world.

As far as appeal, I'd say we have as much cultural appeal as many past winners, including Toronto and Lima. Houston and Toronto both do not have cultural depth compared to other cities in our countries, but that doesn't mean anything. I've been to Toronto, and it's a great city regardless of the lack of deep-rooted culture. The restaurants, shops, museums, clubs, bars, and neighborhoods are great. Houston has an amazing museum district, with our art museum far surpassing most cities in the US. We have some great festivals throughout the year, including food truck and beer festivals. We're improving our bike trails and parks. We could easily be a Pan American host if we were interested, and if the USOC was interested in putting a US bid.

Also, if we don't have international status/appeal, then how do you explain cities such as Winnipeg, Mar De Plata, Indiannapolis and Cali winning to host the Pan American games? Outside of their own countries, they're virtually unknowns internationally. And remember, these games only have North and South American countries involved, so it doesn't matter whether Europe, Asia, or the Africa knows who we are, but we are certainly known by people a good number of people from other continents, regardless if it's just from a business perspective.

Oh goody we have a tacky Texan on the board now, how wonderful. :rolleyes:

I will adress your post in a simplistic and calm manner, lord knows we all fight here too much and I'm in a good mood right now. Firstly, Houston lacks international appeal and status. Sure economically it is a hub, but people do not come to Houston to purely visit. Texas culture is not known for being great, but arrogant, and just because your a top city in the US does not mean you could be a US bid. Look at Dallas who was just rejected by the USOC last week and every Texas bid for the Pan-Am games/Olympics have failed. Explain that?

In addition, sense you pulled out some economical crap no one here really gives a sh*t about let's talk about Louisiana's economy and a New Orleans narrative along with the general international appeal to a Louisiana games. Louisiana ranks #2 nationally in natural resources and brings in the doe when talking about oil. In addition Louisiana ranked #1 internationally when it came to the film industry, further more Louisiana shipping lanes are once again becoming a large vein in the American economy and more oil companies are moving to the state (not to mention the largest Exxon Mobil refinery in North America). Furthermore the Louisiana economy is healthy, vibrant, and ever growing. Everyday it's growing larger and is becoming a major player in the Gulf Coast region. Louisiana is also home to one of the most exciting and vibrant cultures the nation has to offer, New Orleans continuously ranks as one of the best sporting cities in the US and sports organizations love to come here because of the filming incentives. New Orleans and Baton Rouge both are some of the best places in the country to start and own business and like Texas has one of the friendliest business environments nationally.

Both cities are also known for throwing good parties and staying committed. Baton Rouge just hosted one of the best Miss USA pageants and let's not forget the fantastic 10 Supper Bowls New Orleans has hosted. People love to come to Louisiana as well, with tourism high and a fantastic international recognition New Orleans would harbor a perfect place for the event. Historical, charming, and cosmopolitan , the unique Louisiana setting would provide a colorful backdrop for the event. New Orleans also has one of the strongest narratives of any US city, 2023 will be the 18th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Not only could the city use the games to revitalize still hurt areas, but also showcase the tremendous success that one of America's fastest growing cities has experienced in an almost 20 year renaissance. Oh yeah, New Orleans has some of the best art in the world.

In short, and I hate to really say this, but New Orleans has much more appeal. As we have seen (especially in recent days) that is something the USOC values greatly. It does not matter if the state is massively wealthy. While that does play apart a city also needs to have massive international interest. Something New Orleans has that Houston doesn't. In addition Louisiana is still a wealthy state, has a strong narrative, and could create a fantastic plan to host. To me that sounds like a fantastic deal, especially given that the US would get to showcase one of it's most beautiful cities and cultures in the process.

To address your point on other cities and how they won. All that bit showcased was how truly arrogant you are, all of those places that you mentioned have fantastic cultures and to think that they don't is very ignorant. Also as a last kick in your lone star arse and stars&stripes Indianapolis was a last minute host and the city still has a fantastic culture and environment.

*dough*

Lol, look who's teaching and preaching against arrogance and being tacky! :rolleyes:

I'm not preaching against it, I'm pointing it out. I understand that at times I have been tacky and arrogant and I should not deny it.

My debate with LatinXTC was trying to point out and abolish his perception that Texas, and more specifically Houston is more culturally rich then New Orleans, Winnipeg, Mar De Plata, Indianapolis, Cali, and Toronto.

As a Southern-Californian, I can honestly say that the thought of visiting Texas for pure vacation has never crossed my mind. Heck, no city in Texas is even on my mom's "places-we-should-visit-for-vacation-but-dont-have-time-for" list, and Rio de Janero (or any major Brazilian city for that matter) even managed to sneak in on that list. When I think of Dallas, I think of the airport (AA) and the heat. Houston: I think of the astronauts ("Houston, we have a problem"). When I was younger, I thought Texas was this big state with oil, extreme heat, and money (I'm sorry if that sounded ignorant, but I was young). The only time my family considered Texas was for business and "the-state-we-have-to-go-through-to-visit-my-sister". Just being honest. I know Texas is much. much more, but that is probably the views of most of the population out there. Most American's out there, like you and me, have the thought they're in this big amazing bubble that is their state and that everything outside of it is dumb and boring. We all have different prospective depending on where we're from and our influences. TBH, the only cities in Texas that I knew (while in Elementary School) was Paris and Austin :P

Oh goody we have a tacky Texan on the board now, how wonderful. :rolleyes:

I will adress your post in a simplistic and calm manner, lord knows we all fight here too much and I'm in a good mood right now. Firstly, Houston lacks international appeal and status. Sure economically it is a hub, but people do not come to Houston to purely visit. Texas culture is not known for being great, but arrogant, and just because your a top city in the US does not mean you could be a US bid. Look at Dallas who was just rejected by the USOC last week and every Texas bid for the Pan-Am games/Olympics have failed. Explain that?

In addition, sense you pulled out some economical crap no one here really gives a sh*t about let's talk about Louisiana's economy and a New Orleans narrative along with the general international appeal to a Louisiana games. Louisiana ranks #2 nationally in natural resources and brings in the doe when talking about oil. In addition Louisiana ranked #1 internationally when it came to the film industry, further more Louisiana shipping lanes are once again becoming a large vein in the American economy and more oil companies are moving to the state (not to mention the largest Exxon Mobil refinery in North America). Furthermore the Louisiana economy is healthy, vibrant, and ever growing. Everyday it's growing larger and is becoming a major player in the Gulf Coast region. Louisiana is also home to one of the most exciting and vibrant cultures the nation has to offer, New Orleans continuously ranks as one of the best sporting cities in the US and sports organizations love to come here because of the filming incentives. New Orleans and Baton Rouge both are some of the best places in the country to start and own business and like Texas has one of the friendliest business environments nationally.

Both cities are also known for throwing good parties and staying committed. Baton Rouge just hosted one of the best Miss USA pageants and let's not forget the fantastic 10 Supper Bowls New Orleans has hosted. People love to come to Louisiana as well, with tourism high and a fantastic international recognition New Orleans would harbor a perfect place for the event. Historical, charming, and cosmopolitan , the unique Louisiana setting would provide a colorful backdrop for the event. New Orleans also has one of the strongest narratives of any US city, 2023 will be the 18th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Not only could the city use the games to revitalize still hurt areas, but also showcase the tremendous success that one of America's fastest growing cities has experienced in an almost 20 year renaissance. Oh yeah, New Orleans has some of the best art in the world.

In short, and I hate to really say this, but New Orleans has much more appeal. As we have seen (especially in recent days) that is something the USOC values greatly. It does not matter if the state is massively wealthy. While that does play apart a city also needs to have massive international interest. Something New Orleans has that Houston doesn't. In addition Louisiana is still a wealthy state, has a strong narrative, and could create a fantastic plan to host. To me that sounds like a fantastic deal, especially given that the US would get to showcase one of it's most beautiful cities and cultures in the process.

To address your point on other cities and how they won. All that bit showcased was how truly arrogant you are, all of those places that you mentioned have fantastic cultures and to think that they don't is very ignorant. Also as a last kick in your lone star arse and stars&stripes Indianapolis was a last minute host and the city still has a fantastic culture and environment.

*dough*

Oh there's nothing tackier than a person who doesn't know how to type/write properly and uses cursing in a discussion calling another person ignorant and arrogant. Dear lord that was cringeworthy to read. But I will respond.

As far as why the Dallas bid was rejected/didn't move forward, the easiest explanation why that happened is because Dallas' image as a city is a mess. Everything that Dallas is known for, Six Flags, the Cowboys Stadium, are not in Dallas. They're outside the city limits. The Summer Olympics are hosted by a city, not a metropolitan, county, state, or general area. Yes you are allowed to host events outside of the city limits (Beijing had their equestrian games in Hong Kong), but the majority of the events, especially the opening and closing ceremony, would have taken place in cities like Arlington and Ft. Worth. Dallas would have to build an olympic stadium within city limits if they ever want to host the Summer Olympics. They even mentioned that they wanted to co-host with Houston, which was a completely ridiculous idea because the IOC does not allow for multiple city bids. Also, Dallas is almost a 5hr drive away from the nearest coastline, which is where the sailing competition would have been held. There is no body of water closer to Dallas that qualified to host the event.

As for why San Antonio lost twice to host the Pan American Games? The easiest reason why I believe they lost to Rio to host the 2007 Pan American games was location. San Antonio is almost 4 hours away from the nearest coast. The Pan American games are logistically supposed to be a simpler event to host compared to the regular Summer Olympics. The same could be said about losing to Guadalajara, although they're only a little bit closer to the coast than San Antonio was. But during that time the USOC and the IOC were in a heated debate about how much profit the US wanted to take for the television rights if they were to host the games. Critics now believe this is the main reason why the US lost in the 2012 and 2016 running of the Summer Olympics. This is why the US didn't run for the 2020 Summer Olympics. It wouldn't be a surprise that a similar situation caused San Antonio to have lost the right to host either Pan American games.

As far as appeal and status go, as I mentioned before we have international status we just do not have international appeal. There is a difference between the two and I mentioned in my first post that we don't have that much international appeal as a city. In fact I honestly think that culture-wise, San Antonio has us beat. They are, after all, located in the heard of where the Texas Revolution was at its peak, as well as the location of The Alamo. I'll admit as a city, Houston is a bit of a mess. We have a lack of zoning laws here, and it's one of the reasons why our business centers are not all concentrated in our downtown. We have business centers spread all over town, with high-rise apartments and buildings popping up all over the place. I admit it's a mess, but that doesn't mean hosting a Pan American games is not doable. We have the majority of our sports facilities located in two concentrated areas, Reliant Park and downtown Houston, and these areas are connected through our existing and expanding light rail system.

You keep mentioning Louisiana as a state to visit and a great place to host events, but let's not forget states do not run Pan American games or Olympics. And yes I agree as far as tourism goes, Louisiana is more intriguing than most places in Texas. They have legal gambling all over Louisiana, and we have shuttle busses taking gamblers there on a daily basis from Houston to cities like St. Charles. Texas has been trying to propose legalizing that type of gambling for years so we can keep that business in our states, but nothing comes of it. And you are right New Orleans has hosted 10 Super Bowls and I don't take that away from you. Most of that is due to the amount of adult-oriented bars and clubs that are located in New Orleans, and of course the city's leniency on prostitution. Let's be truthful here, football players and the fans enjoy celebrating in that sort of fashion, and New Orleans is one of the best places for it. If Las Vegas had a franchise and/or were allowed to host Super Bowls without having a franchise of their own, they would be as competitive, if not more competitive to host than New Orleans. But I think New Orleans' popularity in becoming a consistent host city for the Super Bowl is slowly dwindling. If you don't do anything to modernize that stadium, then your chances of ever hosting again will start to decrease. They don't want to deal with another power outage. And lets not bring in talks of the Miss USA pageant, since it's the first time that Baton Rouge hosted the event and it's not something that defines the image of Louisiana, just the capabilities of the state to be able to host a diverse number of events.

And I stand by my comment on mentioning those cities and how they did not have international appeal and/or status. I was speaking that at that time that cities such as Winnipeg, Indianapolis, La Paz, and Cali did not have as much international appeal/status as they do now, yet they were chosen to host anyways. Even the IOC voted Atlanta, a virtual unknown city of less than 500,000 (metropolitan area was over 3,000,000) was handed the Olympics over well-known international cities like Melbourne, Manchester, Toronto, and even later host Athens. A city of over 2 million (a metropolitan of over 6 million residents) can easily host a Pan American Games if Athens managed to nab the Summer Olympics.

And I guess you completely forgot that Houston was actually in the running to host the Summer Olympics twice. In 2012 we made the short list, and we were cut along with Washington DC and San Francisco for the more appealing New York City. It made sense that they wanted to bring the games to a city that wanted to show the world that it has bounced back from the 9/11 tragedies. And we made the shortlist again in 2016, but were later cut again in favor of Chicago, who had a plan that intrigued the USOC and IOC more. The USOC and the IOC always favor Olympic bids with newer facilities. We were planning on using Reliant Stadium for our opening and closing ceremonies and renovating the Astrodome into the first ever Olympic track & field stadium.

You can keep calling Texas an ignorant and arrogant state, but there are very few states in the US who can really own up to that arrogance. We are, after all, the only state that was its own country, albeit only for a decade. Our landscape in Texas goes from flat sea levels, forests, plains, desert, and plateaus. There are incredible places to explore west of Texas that are appeal to so many hikers and campers. Our cities are all diverse, similar, and different in their own way. Austin is the most liberal and gay-friendly city in all of Texas, we have San Antonio that's full of noticeable Texas culture and history, and Dallas and Houston are just big metropolitan areas who continue to expand and diversify. Here in houston we have immigrants and refugees from all walks of life. We had one of the biggest influx of Jewish immigrants/refugees that survived or escaped the horrors of the Holocaust, and we also had a large influx of Vietnamese, Bosnian, and even Katrina refugees. And with all these immigrants and refugees they have brought so much diversity in things like restaurants, commercial centers, schools, housing, neighborhoods, etc. Houston is just one of those cities that you have to come here to understand what the appeal is. Sure our weather can be unbearable sometimes, but there are plenty of things to do indoors to escape the heat. And when the weather is just right, there are also many places to explore outdoors as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh there's nothing tackier than a person who doesn't know how to type/write properly and uses cursing in a discussion calling another person ignorant and arrogant. Dear lord that was cringeworthy to read. But I will respond.

As far as why the Dallas bid was rejected/didn't move forward, the easiest explanation why that happened is because Dallas' image as a city is a mess. Everything that Dallas is known for, Six Flags, the Cowboys Stadium, are not in Dallas. They're outside the city limits. The Summer Olympics are hosted by a city, not a metropolitan, county, state, or general area. Yes you are allowed to host events outside of the city limits (Beijing had their equestrian games in Hong Kong), but the majority of the events, especially the opening and closing ceremony, would have taken place in cities like Arlington and Ft. Worth. Dallas would have to build an olympic stadium within city limits if they ever want to host the Summer Olympics. They even mentioned that they wanted to co-host with Houston, which was a completely ridiculous idea because the IOC does not allow for multiple city bids. Also, Dallas is almost a 5hr drive away from the nearest coastline, which is where the sailing competition would have been held. There is no body of water closer to Dallas that qualified to host the event.

As for why San Antonio lost twice to host the Pan American Games? The easiest reason why I believe they lost to Rio to host the 2007 Pan American games was location. San Antonio is almost 4 hours away from the nearest coast. The Pan American games are logistically supposed to be a simpler event to host compared to the regular Summer Olympics. The same could be said about losing to Guadalajara, although they're only a little bit closer to the coast than San Antonio was. But during that time the USOC and the IOC were in a heated debate about how much profit the US wanted to take for the television rights if they were to host the games. Critics now believe this is the main reason why the US lost in the 2012 and 2016 running of the Summer Olympics. This is why the US didn't run for the 2020 Summer Olympics. It wouldn't be a surprise that a similar situation caused San Antonio to have lost the right to host either Pan American games.

As far as appeal and status go, as I mentioned before we have international status we just do not have international appeal. There is a difference between the two and I mentioned in my first post that we don't have that much international appeal as a city. In fact I honestly think that culture-wise, San Antonio has us beat. They are, after all, located in the heard of where the Texas Revolution was at its peak, as well as the location of The Alamo. I'll admit as a city, Houston is a bit of a mess. We have a lack of zoning laws here, and it's one of the reasons why our business centers are not all concentrated in our downtown. We have business centers spread all over town, with high-rise apartments and buildings popping up all over the place. I admit it's a mess, but that doesn't mean hosting a Pan American games is not doable. We have the majority of our sports facilities located in two concentrated areas, Reliant Park and downtown Houston, and these areas are connected through our existing and expanding light rail system.

You keep mentioning Louisiana as a state to visit and a great place to host events, but let's not forget states do not run Pan American games or Olympics. And yes I agree as far as tourism goes, Louisiana is more intriguing than most places in Texas. They have legal gambling all over Louisiana, and we have shuttle busses taking gamblers there on a daily basis from Houston to cities like St. Charles. Texas has been trying to propose legalizing that type of gambling for years so we can keep that business in our states, but nothing comes of it. And you are right New Orleans has hosted 10 Super Bowls and I don't take that away from you. Most of that is due to the amount of adult-oriented bars and clubs that are located in New Orleans, and of course the city's leniency on prostitution. Let's be truthful here, football players and the fans enjoy celebrating in that sort of fashion, and New Orleans is one of the best places for it. If Las Vegas had a franchise and/or were allowed to host Super Bowls without having a franchise of their own, they would be as competitive, if not more competitive to host than New Orleans. But I think New Orleans' popularity in becoming a consistent host city for the Super Bowl is slowly dwindling. If you don't do anything to modernize that stadium, then your chances of ever hosting again will start to decrease. They don't want to deal with another power outage. And lets not bring in talks of the Miss USA pageant, since it's the first time that Baton Rouge hosted the event and it's not something that defines the image of Louisiana, just the capabilities of the state to be able to host a diverse number of events.

And I stand by my comment on mentioning those cities and how they did not have international appeal and/or status. I was speaking that at that time that cities such as Winnipeg, Indianapolis, La Paz, and Cali did not have as much international appeal/status as they do now, yet they were chosen to host anyways. Even the IOC voted Atlanta, a virtual unknown city of less than 500,000 (metropolitan area was over 3,000,000) was handed the Olympics over well-known international cities like Melbourne, Manchester, Toronto, and even later host Athens. A city of over 2 million (a metropolitan of over 6 million residents) can easily host a Pan American Games if Athens managed to nab the Summer Olympics.

And I guess you completely forgot that Houston was actually in the running to host the Summer Olympics twice. In 2012 we made the short list, and we were cut along with Washington DC and San Francisco for the more appealing New York City. It made sense that they wanted to bring the games to a city that wanted to show the world that it has bounced back from the 9/11 tragedies. And we made the shortlist again in 2016, but were later cut again in favor of Chicago, who had a plan that intrigued the USOC and IOC more. The USOC and the IOC always favor Olympic bids with newer facilities. We were planning on using Reliant Stadium for our opening and closing ceremonies and renovating the Astrodome into the first ever Olympic track & field stadium.

You can keep calling Texas an ignorant and arrogant state, but there are very few states in the US who can really own up to that arrogance. We are, after all, the only state that was its own country, albeit only for a decade. Our landscape in Texas goes from flat sea levels, forests, plains, desert, and plateaus. There are incredible places to explore west of Texas that are appeal to so many hikers and campers. Our cities are all diverse, similar, and different in their own way. Austin is the most liberal and gay-friendly city in all of Texas, we have San Antonio that's full of noticeable Texas culture and history, and Dallas and Houston are just big metropolitan areas who continue to expand and diversify. Here in houston we have immigrants and refugees from all walks of life. We had one of the biggest influx of Jewish immigrants/refugees that survived or escaped the horrors of the Holocaust, and we also had a large influx of Vietnamese, Bosnian, and even Katrina refugees. And with all these immigrants and refugees they have brought so much diversity in things like restaurants, commercial centers, schools, housing, neighborhoods, etc. Houston is just one of those cities that you have to come here to understand what the appeal is. Sure our weather can be unbearable sometimes, but there are plenty of things to do indoors to escape the heat. And when the weather is just right, there are also many places to explore outdoors as well.

To address your well formed response I will attempt to do the same.

While the economic success of Texas can not be denied in any fashion, winning these events are not purely decided on economic standing. Any US city, no matter where it is will automatically have an upper hand because it is a United States city (the only country that has a higher hand then us would be Canada given their successful handling of these types of events.). The bad image of Dallas is not limited to Dallas, but the whole state. Texas has a very poor image, and while I applaud Perry's efforts to change this it will take a long time to turn Texas into a cultural hub for the United States. In short Texas is known for oil, big things, and cowboys.

San Antonio in my opinion is Texas' most beautiful cities and I was appalled at their loss, but the international reputation of the state played a part in it. Over and over we see the same thing play out. So you are right that it probably did come down to location...Texas or Rio? Who would you choose?

You are certainly right about San Antonio culturally beating Houston. I would rather see San Antonio host the Olympics or Pan-Am's over any Texan city. It's beautiful, historic, and culturally rich. Not surprising, those are the same areas that New Orleans beats Houston as well. The one thing that you mentioned that I agree with is Houston's fantastic sporting infrastructure, but it's where the culture and image that the city continuously looses.

States are made by their people, and their people run these events. Time after time the Louisiana public has showcased its ability and will power to host these events with success and enthusiasm. You point out how Louisiana only achieves this success because we allow large consumption of alcohol, gambling, and in some cases prostitution. That is absolutely appalling, people also come to the state and New Orleans because of the art, culture, education, and sports. The scenery of the city makes for perfect shots no matter the event, and our winning of these events is not reliant on the practices we allow or do not. The state has actually been talking about constructing a new stadium or doing massive renovations to it (especially after the loss of Super Bowl 2018). The outage was on purpose not on accident. To address Miss USA, it might have been the first time but Trump said he wants to come back. Additionally it showcased not only Louisiana culture and friendly business environment, but the cities.

You are over simplifying all of those cases and relying on the idea that Houston would be against a weak field. Atlanta was the most secure choice and the same can be said in the bidding cycles of all those cities you mentioned. Even if there was a weak International field for 2023, Houston would face tough competition from the iconic New Orleans (if they follow through).

No I did not, but it seems you forgot that Houston was knocked out in the first round of both races. Each time it was sighted that city lacked the international appeal and status. So as I have said many times, it does not matter if you have more Fortune 500 companies than any other American city besides New York, or that you have a technically sound plan if you do not have the culture to excite the world.

The reason no state lives up to it is because it's not something to boast about. 13 states formed the nation we sit in now and grew to conquer Texas and create an empire. Louisiana was also considered New France and largely ruled itself from 1534-1803, that trumps Texas' meager ten years. New Orleans for years was the most entered port of entry next to New York and as a result has a massive immigrant population. This population has created the rich culture that we have. Also, ask yourself where those Katrina refugees came from? (New Orleans). Louisiana scenery is diverse as well, beautiful rural areas, forests, lake side cities, river cities, hills, and not to mention beautiful cities. This scenery has allowed us to become the #1 place in the world to film movies. New Orleans is home to some of the nations best art museums, luscious parks that have existed for hundreds of years, the national World War 2 museum (BTW New Orleans is where the flatboats for the Normandy invasion where invented and constructed). So like Houston there is tons to do and the Pan American games would feel at home in this city.

The US shouldn't even bother to bid if they don't take Pan Ams seriously. We never see anything close to their A-teams in Athletics or Swimming (same goes for Caribbean sprinters). I can picture some Pan Ams happening in the US in 2023 and absolutely no one there paying attention. This should be avoided. I actually believe cities like SF, NO and Miami would make great hosts but media and certain federations should have more faith in Pan Ams in order to give some credit to a US bid.

Imagine Team USA facing the top Brazilian swimmers or Caribbean runners? That'd make great games.

This competition is much more important to Latin American countries and as long as this continues I'll always prefer us to host them. Santiago is kinda boring but Chile deserves a competition like this. They are so organized, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

That's why South America is about to land two games in a row with Lima and whatever else comes to 2023. Canada won't have it, Mexico neither. Unless a good Caribbean/Central American bid takes shape and I'm afraid people up there are very silent right now.

I guess it is kinda sad, it would be nice for the US to jump back in.

TBH it is rather wasteful for the US to bid for 2024 if a European candidate jumps in, the Euro city will most likely win resulting in a huge waste of resources and money on the US part. It would be smarter for the US to bid for the 2023 Pan Ams.

If they do I hope Baton Rouge and New Orleans do a joint bid; it would be great fun.

I guess it is kinda sad, it would be nice for the US to jump back in.

TBH it is rather wasteful for the US to bid for 2024 if a European candidate jumps in, the Euro city will most likely win resulting in a huge waste of resources and money on the US part. It would be smarter for the US to bid for the 2023 Pan Ams.

If they do I hope Baton Rouge and New Orleans do a joint bid; it would be great fun.

yeah. great fun. fun fun fun. phun phun phun phun phun. Joy to the world. Solving all our problems. World peace. No more hunger. Love love love. Hearts and kisses.

I suppose it would be a good time to showcase the southern state's (said) superiority mentioned by mr bernham ;)

yeah. great fun. fun fun fun. phun phun phun phun phun. Joy to the world. Solving all our problems. World peace. No more hunger. Love love love. Hearts and kisses.

I suppose it would be a good time to showcase the southern state's (said) superiority mentioned by mr bernham ;)

:rolleyes::lol:

I think it would be a great experience for both cities, nice chance to showcase their growth.

It's official: Santiago. Chile will bid for 2023 Panamerican Games. The Chilean proesident, Michel Bachelet, asked herself to the Chilean Olympic Commitee to submit a bid for the Games. In the formal send - off of the Chilean Olympians who wil participate in Nanjing 2014, she totally confirmed her support for this new bid which comes after the failed 2019 bid lost to Lima.

The news (Taken from Canal 13, Chile. Translated woth google)

http://www.13.cl/t13/deportes/presidenta-bachelet-quiere-que-chile-se-postule-a-los-panamericanos-2023

The president asked the Chilean Olympic Committee (Coch) which formally begin working in his bid for the games.

During the farewell of the Chilean delegation to represent the country at the Olympic Youth Games 2014 in the Chinese city of Nanging the President of the Republic, Michelle Bachelet, asked the president of the Olympic Committee of Chile, Neven Ilic, run for the organization of the Pan 2023.

"The president has asked us to postulate, so we have the full support of her and the government," said the manager of Coch. Ilic, said after the meeting in La Moneda, which will start work from today. "It's a joint task because the Olympic Committee has no tools to run alone. With this support, we can start the negotiations."

President Michelle Bachelet also used to fire the 15 athletes who will participate in the sporting event in China until 28 August. "It's a wonderful opportunity for you and for the country to attend an event of this magnitude," she said.

Presidenta-Bachelet-Despide-Deportistas-

I'm sure Chile will manage to build a great bid and its only -strong- disadvantage is the fact of neighbour Perú hosting the previous games (what would also work against Medellín). Imagine a lineup like this:

Santiago

Medellín

Miami

San José

Panamá

This would be a really tight competition. A single Central American bid would be stronger, they could cancel each other in the first rounds. Colombia is linving a great moment sports-wise and that would work in their favour, but right now I think is Santiago to lose.