Kazan or St Petersburg for 2024?

Just done some research and noticed Russia wants to Bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Kazan and St Petersburg have both proposed visions to Bid. If they were, who would you support? Kazan or St Petersburg. I would personally support Kazan, as it would be a great backdrop from the 2013 Summer Universiade and is a beautiful city. Kazan is the Capital of Sport in Russia.

This thread is asking what city would you prefer Kazan or St Petersburg, That thread is a discussion on that Russia is Bidding. Mine is asking what city would you prefer.

This thread is asking what city would you prefer Kazan or St Petersburg, That thread is a discussion on that Russia is Bidding. Mine is asking what city would you prefer.

The thing is, it"s a likely thread to continue any discussions for the moment on matters regarding Russia bidding on a summer games, rather than start a new one on a narrow question. And don't feel you need to reply to this now saying: "okay, I understand". I think we're getting the message from you adequately that you're trying to get a feel for the way things work here, and you are sorry if you're making mistakes and treading on toes.

I think once anti Gay+Lesbian laws will be operated,any cities from Russia will have difficulties to candidate and to host OG after Sochi...

Between Sochi, the World Cup and IAAF Championships, we're on Russian overload. Whether they bid or not they won't win. The city doesn't matter.

Between Sochi, the World Cup and IAAF Championships, we're on Russian overload. Whether they bid or not they won't win. The city doesn't matter.

For all the talk about the United States we have here and how much time they'd in between hosting 2 Olympics, I don't know why anyone would entertain the idea of Russia bidding for the 2024 Olympics. Let's wait until they host this one before they decide they want another, and this would be going winter to summer which makes it that much harder. It'll be a long time before Russia hosts a Summer Olympics

Kazan will be the ideal host city for the next Russian Olympics Summer Games it is the sporting capital of Russia hosted a great uni games this year more building work needs to be done but I could see them hosting the Olympics Games one day, It will be iconic if Toronto Canada host 2024 and Kazan in 2028 and Los Angeles USA in 2032, It could the the time that heals the Olympic Movement from the boycottt days of the 1970s and 1980s.

Kazan will be the ideal host city for the next Russian Olympics Summer Games it is the sporting capital of Russia hosted a great uni games this year more building work needs to be done but I could see them hosting the Olympics Games one day, It will be iconic if Toronto Canada host 2024 and Kazan in 2028 and Los Angeles USA in 2032, It could the the time that heals the Olympic Movement from the boycottt days of the 1970s and 1980s.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

I know Venues isn't everything in a Bid, but if St Petersburg Bids, then my guess would be that The Opening and Closing Ceremonies would be held at the New Zenit Stadium, which will have blind spots because of them huge pylons going through the stands and also Kazan Arena also has blind spots.

The boycott days are long gone. The Olympic movement has moved on. There's no benefit to repeating the hosting cycle of '76, '80, '84

The trouble is with wanting to repeat the Canada-Russia/USSR-USA sequence is the first two-thirds WERE the days that came as close as bringing the Olympic movement to its knees and killing the games than any other sequence of hostings. It's only the final of the list that succeeded in the eyes of the wider world and gave the glimmerings of hope for a new direction that could sustain the games. Why would that be such an enticing era and sequence to want to repeat?

Besides ... Kazan ... seriously? About as glamorous and appealing a destination as Kansas City, Kolkata or Kalgoorlie.

Kazan has sport experience. If Russia do put forward a Candidate for 2024 Summer Olympics, I would rather see Kazan than St Petersburg IMO.

Agreed. But we can argue who will be their bid! Go on Vladivostok you can do it! :P

Argue it to your heart's content, but I'll never understand why some people here spend inordinate amounts of time talking about cities and bids that have absolutely no shot whatsoever of succeeding. Which gets tiresome when those discussions get mixed in with discussions of bids that actually do stand a chance of succeeding.

After the past few days, I don't think Kazan or St Petersburg will be confident after the attacks in Volgograd, so Sochi 2014 will be the last one in Russia for a while, with too much problems in Russia such as, anti-gay laws, corruption, putin, political problems in general and the Volgograd problems, as well as the delayed opening of the Fisht Olympic Stadium.

Archived