Which 5 players according to you would have the biggest impact in World Cup 2014?

robertpat

I read a post regarding the Brazil World Cup, 2014. The post was about 10 players above the age of 30 who could make great impact in winning the trophy. So it made me think, who all over would be the most important players in this World Cup. I can't see Ronaldo/Messi going all the way. It is just my opinion. But although I think Van Persie and his team seem to be promising this time around. Also, Neymar too has a big chance. The link to the article that kept me thinking - http://www.trcfootball.com/football-blogs?id=38

^^

Good list but were is Messi?

Messi don't usually 'shine' with Argentina. He is good with Barcelona because of a partnership with Xavi and Iniesta.

In terms of single players that change entire teams, I'd say Suarez, Dzeko, Alexis Sanchez, Ribery, Kagawa, Messi, Drogba, & of course Ronaldo. Other teams either a) have many standout players & aren't 'one-man teams' (Brazil, Germany, Spain) B) don't have a real game-changing player (England, USA, Australia)or c) A team does have one standout player, but I haven't thought of them.

Fred will shine but not Messi? ok...

Messi doesn't usually shine for his country, because Iniesta and Xavi is not on his team. Look at Messi's world cup record.

Go watch some Messi matches in the national team, please.

Has Argentina won the World Cup in the past decade? No. Has Messi been top scorer in the last decade in World Cups? No. Has Messi been player of World Cup Tournament? No.

Has Argentina won the World Cup in the past decade? No. Has Messi been top scorer in the last decade in World Cups? No. Has Messi been player of World Cup Tournament? No.

Those 3 things mean he plays bad for the national team? no. That "doesn't play as in Barcelona" story was 5 years ago. He's been playing great ever since (and scoring a lot), heck, even in 2010 he played great despite not scoring. I insist, let's watch matches.

Those 3 things mean he plays bad for the national team? no. That "doesn't play as in Barcelona" story was 5 years ago. He's been playing great ever since (and scoring a lot), heck, even in 2010 he played great despite not scoring. I insist, let's watch matches.

Which 5 Players will stand out. If he doesn't score or interact in play and Argentina don't get into Quarter/Semi Finals, then he hasn't shined. Even Tshabalala for South Africa scored more than Messi in 2010.

Which 5 Players will stand out. If he doesn't score or interact in play and Argentina don't get into Quarter/Semi Finals, then he hasn't shined. Even Tshabalala for South Africa scored more than Messi in 2010.

lol, ok, for you goals are everything and that southafrican guy played better than Messi. Also, I don't get how that proves he will play bad in 2014 when he has been playing at an insane level ever since.

and PS: in fact, Argentina reached quarters .

lol, ok, for you goals are everything and that southafrican guy played better than Messi. Also, I don't get how that proves he will play bad in 2014 when he has been playing at an insane level ever since.

Well you could say that about any player. Goals are not everything, but Messi didn't even assist nor defend or create play at 2010.

Well you could say that about any player. Goals are not everything, but Messi didn't even assist nor defend or create play at 2010.

What???? no, seriously dude, go to YT and re-watch Arg-Nigeria, Arg- Korea, Arg-Greece, Arg-Mexico. He played very well and had a lot of goal opportunities! He had extreme bad luck to not score at least 4 in group stage (denied by posts, goalkeepers). Only vs Germany he played bad, but all the team played bad.

What???? no, seriously dude, go to YT and re-watch Arg-Nigeria, Arg- Korea, Arg-Greece, Arg-Mexico. He played very well and had a lot of goal opportunities! He had extreme bad luck to not score at least 4 in group stage (denied by posts, goalkeepers). Only vs Germany he played bad, but all the team played bad.

He wasn't a top 5 player in the tournament. It's just my opinion. Your opinion is yours.

He wasn't a top 5 player in the tournament. It's just my opinion. Your opinion is yours.

I didn't say he was top 5 of 2010, of course he wasn't, I just said he didn't play bad back then, and trying to argue why it is not true that "he plays bad for national team", nothing more.

I didn't say he was top 5 of 2010, of course he wasn't, I just said he didn't play bad back then, and trying to argue why it is not true that "he plays bad for national team", nothing more.

Ok. What I should of said was he doesn't play as good as he does for barcelona.

Messi wasn't playing badly in 2010 but he didn't get everything out of him. While his goal-average for the national team isn't as good as with Barcelona, it's getting better. He has now played better under Sabella's coaching and scores more frequently. Since the beginning of the qualification matches in October 2011 Messi has scored more goals for Argentina than during all the previous years, including three hat-tricks, with one of them coming against Brazil.

Archived