Baku is a Proposed Bid for 2024, as Baku stated after being knocked out of the race in the Applicant Stage that they would come back stronger with more Venues and Infrastructure in 2024.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Summer_Olympics

Azerbaijan is a nation of less than 10 million. And Baku itself is a city of less than 2 million. Greater London is larger than all of Azerbaijan! So what is gonna be so compelling about Baku-ku, especially if we were to get a packed field for 2024. And like 2020, if Istanbul also bids for 2024, the IOC is most likely to accept the Turks again as finalists since it offers so much more than Baku ever could.

Azerbaijan is a nation of less than 10 million. And Baku itself is a city of less than 2 million. Greater London is larger than all of Azerbaijan! So what is gonna be so compelling about Baku-ku, especially if we were to get a packed field for 2024. And like 2020, if Istanbul also bids for 2024, the IOC is most likely to accept the Turks again as finalists since it offers so much more than Baku ever could.

Yes that is a fair point. I just thought I would open this thread up to shed light on the yes old news (I looked through and saw no thread).

Well, there's good reason for that. Who other than bid book junkie LD or a couple of newbies wanna talk about fricken Baku-ku.

Was that aimed at me?

Azerbaijan has more money than sense though - or rather, the Aliyevs have. So they will continue to try and boost their image by getting as many events as possible. The inaugural European Games are just another vehicle, and - I know this must be a weird thing for the Americans here - they've been using the Eurovision Song Contest to promote Baku and Azerbaijan (and themselves) over the years and thought they'd succeeded when they finally won and were given hosting rights for 2012. But that miserably backfired because western media were rightfully taking the opportunity to shed a light on the real stories of Azerbaijan's situation, especially Human Rights. Yet, they still seem to aim at winning and hosting ESC again, bizarrely.

Baku is a Proposed Bid for 2024, as Baku stated after being knocked out of the race in the Applicant Stage that they would come back stronger with more Venues and Infrastructure in 2024.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Summer_Olympics

Do you actually want to discuss the merits of a Baku bid or did you just start a thread in case you thought the rest of us forgot? Like FYI said, perhaps there's a reason there's no thread discussing Baku. So unless you want to start the discussion, I don't see why you felt the need to create the thread.

Do you actually want to discuss the merits of a Baku bid or did you just start a thread in case you thought the rest of us forgot? Like FYI said, perhaps there's a reason there's no thread discussing Baku. So unless you want to start the discussion, I don't see why you felt the need to create the thread.

Well you could say Lviv shouldn't have a thread because they are full of Negativies?

Hardly anyone wants to talk about Lviv either, though. Azerbaijan may have lots of money to throw around, but like the Qatari's, they'll just find themselves throwing it around for nothing.

I agree. I just started a thread as Baku is planning a bid for 2024. What is wrong with that?

I agree. I just started a thread as Baku is planning a bid for 2024. What is wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong, but threads are usually started by someone who wants to discuss that topic. Do you actually want to have and participate in a discussion of Baku or did you create the thread for the sake of creating the thread in hopes that the rest of us would have opinions to share?

Nothing is wrong, but threads are usually started by someone who wants to discuss that topic. Do you actually want to have and participate in a discussion of Baku or did you create the thread for the sake of creating the thread in hopes that the rest of us would have opinions to share?

I wanted to here others opinions.

Do you have an opinion of your own? That would be a good jumping off point.

..because so far all you've done is link Wikipedia and not really offered up any reason you're interested in Baku

Well for starters, Baku is starting to gain experience in hosting events, great venues (existing and under construction), great city (historical and modern architecture), but also bad side of it is it could be considered that they are buying there way to glory.

Baku 2024 might just fall short of getting a candidate spot (depending if it will be a packed field or not) even with much infrastructure and the benefit of hosting the first European Games in 2015.

Here's to 2028 and beyond.

If it has experience and infrastructure and Government support, what is stopping it (yes I understand they will get accused of bribery).

If it has experience and infrastructure and Government support, what is stopping it (yes I understand they will get accused of bribery).

Competition. If they're up against Durban or Paris or some other European heavyweights, do you think they'll really have a shot?

Competition. If they're up against Durban or Paris or some other European heavyweights, do you think they'll really have a shot?

Of course not. Durban I would favour as a Host.

Sorry, but it's not like we really wanna get on your case about it. But do you know how irritating it is when EVERY newbie that comes along in here just starts up a supposedly "new" thread bcuz they seem to think that they're brainstorming & no one else here has brought it up before, either bcuz they can't take the time to look through old threads or they just wanna "spice things up". It gets old after awhile. So give us a break if we're a little jaded about it.

• Like 1