2022 Summer Youth Olympics

• 1 month later...

Its time for the IOC to cancel the Youth Olympics. With two cities out of the bid for 2022 winter games the IOC should take heed.

No one watches it and no one cares.

Bit of a Bold statement, saying no one watches it. And the IOC shouldn't cancel it, it is an opportunity for Young Athletes to make a name for themselves.

I wouldn't say it for them to make a name for themselves. More perhaps for them to get the hang of the games, in preparation for the real deal later on.

For example, name one prominent athlete you know about due to the YOGs.

I could name Tom Daley, but I sure didn't learn about him from the YOGs... Emm... Tumblr 'n stuff.

Moving on.

The YOGs are pretty interesting, and I'd like to see how they pan out. I think people do care about them, but they're not well known enough at the current time to merit the huge investments they would require.

I wouldn't say it for them to make a name for themselves. More perhaps for them to get the hang of the games, in preparation for the real deal later on.

For example, name one prominent athlete you know about due to the YOGs.

I could name Tom Daley, but I sure didn't learn about him from the YOGs... Emm... Tumblr 'n stuff.

Moving on.

The YOGs are pretty interesting, and I'd like to see how they pan out. I think people do care about them, but they're not well known enough at the current time to merit the huge investments they would require.

I agree, but also, Cities that haven't got the requirements for Hosting a Summer or Winter Olympics, can boost themselves with a Youth Olympic Games. For example, Nanjing. Nanjing is not exactly Beijing or Shanghai. Also, Medellin had a good Bid, along with Glasgow for 2018 Summer Youth Olympics. I hope the Winter Youth Olympics becomes more popular. 2012 saw 2 Bids go to the wire (Innsbruck and Kuopio), 2016 (just Lillehammer) and 2020 so far is (Lausanne and Brasov).

So why is the IOC president at a closing ceremonies “ calls upon the youth of the world to assembly four years from now’ The IOC been doing this for a hundred years. Adding the Youth Olympics made no sense.

It's to give more opportunity for young athletes. Apart from My Team Great Britain's Tom Daley, which under 18's at the TIME has made success in the main Games?

So the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and the main event THE WORLD CUP! So who is going to watch or care about the Youth Olympics?

commonwealth.???? asiad??? how event with only around 45 nations can defeat an event participated by around 205 nations???

The big problems with YOG is that the games are not marketed well, a very minor event next to her parents, and there is a very small economic return. The games are like the IOC saying, "Dear (insert city) because you will probably never host the big games in the foreseeable future we made a special minor games just so you guys can have the Olympics!"

The big problems with YOG is that the games are not marketed well, a very minor event next to her parents, and there is a very small economic return. The games are like the IOC saying, "Dear (insert city) because you will probably never host the big games in the foreseeable future we made a special minor games just so you guys can have the Olympics!"

Well, not necessarily you can never host an Olympic Games, more like we want to see how you will deal with Hosting Duties for a smaller competition, then in the future you can host an Olympic Games, for example, in the future, I believe Nanjing could host an Olympic Games, and so could Singapore. Fair enough, cities like Brasov wouldn't host an Olympic Games with all due respect, because if Romania were to Bid for the main Olympic Games, Bucharest would probably be their candidate, if not, then Cluj-Napoca. Singapore hosted a brilliant 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games, and Innsbruck hosted a brilliant 1st Winter Youth Olympic Games, and I'm sure Nanjing will host a brilliant 2nd Summer Youth Olympic Games this year. I personally wouldn't underestimate the Youth Olympic Games.

Singapore won't host and neither will Nanjing.

Singapore could, when you consider Qatar as a small country is hosting the World Cup in 2022. Singapore as a small city could host the Olympic Games, with an expansion to the Singapore National Stadium, and more facilities and upgrades in the sports hub. Also, Nanjing could. They have a hub that can get upgraded and expanded.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as though the 2010 and 2014 Editions are in Asia and 2018 in South America, 2022 should come to Europe. Maybe smaller cities like Tel-Aviv, Israel, could Bid - Kiev, Ukraine - Poznan, Poland - Vienna, Austria - Leipzig, Germany - Lille, France - Brussels, Belgium. If they went to Africa, then smaller cities like Abuja, Nigeria could Bid, or if they went to North America, maybe Monterrey, Mexico or Oceania, Wellington, New Zealand. Seeing as though last year, the 2018 edition was awarded to Buenos Aires, Argentina, we should start discussing possible Candidates for the 2022 Edition.

If there are only two European cities bidding for the 2022 games, I doubt they would place a bid for the YOG. Not when their also focusing on the 2024 games. I think we should start brainstorming American hosts. I know the US is not that popular here, but I think a YOG bid would be a piece of cake for any American City.

If there are only two European cities bidding for the 2022 games, I doubt they would place a bid for the YOG. Not when their also focusing on the 2024 games. I think we should start brainstorming American hosts. I know the US is not that popular here, but I think a YOG bid would be a piece of cake for any American City.

I don't foresee the US going for a YOG any time in the near future. They don't 'need' it. If the YOG ever become more well-known, I could see smaller US cities wanting to bid, knowing they won't get the regular games.

I could see Indianapolis being interested. A few months ago someone was talking up Austin for the Olympics - that would never happen but I could possibly see us being able to host the YOG.

But the fact remains that the US is focused on the 'real' games. Only way I could see USOC putting forward a city is:

1. They feel that hosting would endear them to the IOC since it seems like they are having trouble getting competent bidders for the YOG. So they'll provide a host in the hopes that the IOC then scratches their back with the 'real' games.

2. A smaller city is really interested and begs the IOC to let them put forward a bid. The USOC figures they have nothing to lose, so it lets them.

If the IOC is serious about giving YOG to countries that won't be able to host the real deal, they'll never pick the US.

Then again, except for Singapore with its limited space, all other so far selected YOG host cities/countries are easily proper Games hosts too, and in case of the WYOG already have been.

• 2 months later...

New Zealand is looking at a potential YOSGs and 22 did get a mention in an overall map of sporting events to host in the near future.

An Interesting artical came out over the IOC using these games as a testing ground for abbreviated versions of sports that are in the full games. IOC realizes the fast nature of today's youth in instant results. An example is lawn hockey going down to the Fast Five format. Equally football moving to six aside speed version like Sevens.

Other sports variations could be tried at YOSGs level as these athletes will most likely reappear six years later at the full OSGs.

So hosting these are simple but effective...especially for the likescof Auckland and Perth etc.

Hobart is always the butt end of GB Forum's bids jokes but Hobart could lead the way for a YOSGs, no reason why it wouldn't be successful...except don't ask the Federal government just now for help, they're broke for the next four years.

• 4 weeks later...

Why is Hobart always the base of Jokes here?

Because they were "serious" about a bid for the 2020 Olympics. Yes the real deal. Perhaps they might be more suited for a Youth Olympics, but being such a lesser event as it is, maybe a Commonwealth Games could be in the cards? Perhaps not.

Archived