PC 2018 Handover segment

I think it will be a bit passe if they reel out Psy to do Gangnam Style.

It would have worked well if Seoul was hosting the 2016 Olympics at it was at the Closing of London, but it is not so. Let it go.

That would've taken some foresight, it was only released in Korea in July 2012! ;)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/02/17/14/pinay-ice-skater-perform-olympics-closing-ceremony

MANILA, Philippines – A 13-year-old figure skater from Quezon City was invited to perform at the closing ceremony of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Audrey Alcaraz, a student of Saint Pedro Poveda College and a friend of Filipino Olympian Michael Martinez, will be participating at the closing ceremony which takes place on February 23.

Alcaraz was invited by South Korea, which will be taking the hosting duties for the 2018 Winter Olympics.

“It’s kind of nerve-racking but actually an honor because not a lot of people get to go through this and get to experience things like this especially at my age” she said in an interview with Tempo’s Brian Yalung.

Alcaraz believes she was invited because she attended a skating camp in Korea in 2013.

Her expenses will be shouldered by the South Korean government, according to the report.

Alcaraz said she was happy with Martinez’s performance. She hopes to follow the footsteps of her friend, who became the first Filipino and Southeast Asian to compete in the Winter Olympics.

“Only time will tell but hopefully” she said.

Forget about Gangnam Style or a K-Pop Song. Arirang, possibly the most popular korean song will be heavily featured in the handover.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2014/02/17/84/0701000000AEN20140217006800315F.html

S. Korean artists to sing 'Arirang' in Sochi Olympics closing ceremony

ilt9u64itcmaiy02j5cf5z1yzs8yhkpq.jpg

SEOUL, Feb. 17 (Yonhap) -- A group of South Korean pop, classical and jazz artists will perform the nation's most popular folk song of "Arirang" together during the closing ceremony of the Sochi Winter Olympics, organizers of the event said Monday.

Zainichi Korean pianist and composer Kunihiko Ryo, South Korean classical singer Jo Sumi, pop singer Lee Seung-chul and jazz singer Nah Youn-sun will perform a medley of various versions of "Arirang" with an orchestra in the Russian city of Sochi Sunday (Russian time).

Ryo, who composed the 2002 Busan Asian Games' theme song "Frontier," arranged some of Korea's most popular provincial versions of "Arirang" into a classical song for the performance aimed at promoting South Korea's alpine city of PyeongChang as host of the next winter games, the organizers said.

"It will become a performance to promote the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics," a local music industry figure involved in the upcoming event told Yonhap News Agency.

"Arirang," often considered the unofficial national anthem of Korea, made the UNESCO list in 2012 of intangible cultural heritage of humanity.

sshim@yna.co.kr

Another link from Yahoo news which confirms this http://ph.celebrity.yahoo.com/news/korean-musicians-to-sing-at-sochi-winter-olympics-091622404.html

Interesting they hired someone who worked in the 2002 Asian Games in Busan. He seems to be a very popular composer who also even worked in videogames

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp1HeCNPfeo

This is the song he did for Busan 2002

He also did the OST of the korean animated film Yobi the Five Tailed Fox

It wasn't so bad. The music was very beautiful (I loved the arrangements of Arirang), is just the performances of the actors which felt kinda meh, and they didn't used all the space they were given that well, for that massive space they were given you could expect more, but it was still ok. Not better than the one Sochi did 4 years ago, which was one of the bests and probably thats why it felt kinda dissapointing, but still better than the Vancouver handover (which I saw again a couple of days ago and I can get why many canadians got pissy back then) . I also liked that they haven't forgotten about the Dream Project from their bid and included it on the handover.

I've grown to like the logo much more than last year, by the way.

^^ It's too soon to assume Oslo will win :P

A handover doesn't always mean the ceremony of the next host country will be bad. By those terms Atlanta had the worst ceremonies ever because their handover was so bad it was good :lol:

Also, speaking of Albertville, Pyeongchang will take a similar route, stage wise, since the ceremony venue will be temporary and specifically built for the show in question.

I was wondering about handovers watching Pyeongchang's. Would it make more sense for the handover to be for the next edition of the Games. So London hands over to Sochi, Sochi to Rio, Rio to Pyeongchang. It's not as though these events are often used to unveil anything new, and perhaps with a bit more lead time cities could come up with something better (they're nearly always a bit awkard). Then you've got a clear two year build up to each Games starting with the handover.

And I like the thought of a Winter segment in a Summer ceremony and vice versa.

Just a thought...

Of course, I suppose for the athletes it'd be weird seeing an intro to a Games they won't be attending.

It's not as though these events are often used to unveil anything new,

I mentioned this in one of the Sochi threads, but I wish they still were. Up to Atlanta's handover in Barcelona (can't remember if I ever saw the Lillehammer closing to know if it happened there) they used to unveil the next logo and mascot at the handover ceremony. Sydney dropped the ball on that. I felt it always was a good launchpad for getting anticipation going for the next edition.

Could you imagine the discussions here now if we also had the PC Logo to react to afresh, and some snow tiger or whatever to make fun of.

I was wondering about handovers watching Pyeongchang's. Would it make more sense for the handover to be for the next edition of the Games. So London hands over to Sochi, Sochi to Rio, Rio to Pyeongchang. It's not as though these events are often used to unveil anything new, and perhaps with a bit more lead time cities could come up with something better (they're nearly always a bit awkard). Then you've got a clear two year build up to each Games starting with the handover.

Just a thought...

Of course, I suppose for the athletes it'd be weird seeing an intro to a Games they won't be attending.

Ive pondered this before, and like the idea.

Whilst I think mention should be made of the next edition of that 'type' of Olympics 'four years from now' I think the IOC president should call upon the athletes to assemble in the next Olympics, and then we would have seen Rio accept the Olympic flag and do its presentation in Sochi.

It would provide an interesting connection between the SOG and OWG.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/02/17/14/pinay-ice-skater-perform-olympics-closing-ceremony

MANILA, Philippines – A 13-year-old figure skater from Quezon City was invited to perform at the closing ceremony of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Audrey Alcaraz, a student of Saint Pedro Poveda College and a friend of Filipino Olympian Michael Martinez, will be participating at the closing ceremony which takes place on February 23.

Alcaraz was invited by South Korea, which will be taking the hosting duties for the 2018 Winter Olympics.

“It’s kind of nerve-racking but actually an honor because not a lot of people get to go through this and get to experience things like this especially at my age” she said in an interview with Tempo’s Brian Yalung.

Alcaraz believes she was invited because she attended a skating camp in Korea in 2013.

Her expenses will be shouldered by the South Korean government, according to the report.

Alcaraz said she was happy with Martinez’s performance. She hopes to follow the footsteps of her friend, who became the first Filipino and Southeast Asian to compete in the Winter Olympics.

“Only time will tell but hopefully” she said.

How is that? There is NO ice rink being used in the Closing Ceremonies? Someone at ABS-CBN or her family made that up. ANd why would the Koreans invite somone other than Koreans for their show in Sochi???

Not meaning to brag but I had thought about that like, I think, in the 80s and I had actually written to JAS. He replied and said it was possibly a good idea and worht exploring. And then I never head from him again -- not that he was duty bound to reply. But then I realized that--and they might mention it on the NBCcoverage I will watch tonight that they can't do that because the "Oslo" flag takes its place in the Winter Ceremony; and the Seoul flag in the summer. Those 2 have to have their respective place in the Closing; thus the exchange is not possible. (I have his letter somewhere in my files.)

The only decent thing about there handover was the logo.

Not enough people or props for the large stage

Reminded me more of beijing

It all looked like a really bad mimic of the Russian Opening with the bird/doves

Archived