PC 2018 Handover segment

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bets is they'll do traditional korean dances and some modern/futurist segments. On the last two handovers Korea did (Asian Games and Universiade) they featured a pop singer/group so they might do the same again (maybe PSY? :lol: )

It has to me PSY, he is a legend and has brought out 2 (yes not many) but brilliant catchy songs that have taken over Youtube lol, but obviously Handover Ceremony Sochi Mayor hands to Bach then hands to Pyeonchang Mayor.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure, but gosh I hope not. It would just make her uncomfortable if she gets special attention not given to any of the other athletes. She really is just one athlete among many for 2014.

We'll see her at the opening ceremony in 2018 though. She'll be everywhere!

Not sure, but gosh I hope not. It would just make her uncomfortable if she gets special attention not given to any of the other athletes. She really is just one athlete among many for 2014.

We'll see her at the opening ceremony in 2018 though. She'll be everywhere!

That's sort of what I figured. But yeah, she'll be Miss 2018, I'm sure!

I'm sure Kim Jong-un and his cronies have booked a whole section of the stands so they can do their "largest human screen" routine and showcase all the wonders the Great Leader has bestowed upon the glorious nation of North Korea! And of course persuading the masses to not go to the false Korea games!

• 3 weeks later...

Given that PyeongChang is not a real city but a district, does anyone know who is going to be picked as "mayor" for the flag handover ?

My guess is either Lee Seok-Rae of Pyeongchang or Choi Seung-Jun of Jeongseon.

There actually is a town of Pyeongchang but I get your point. The Games are focused closer to Hoenggye.

Thanks a lot. Is the town of Pyeongchang what they call Pyeongchang-eup in wikipedia ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyeongchang-eup

Sorry, my mistake. The English news outlets all said Lee Seok-Rae was the mayor of Pyeongchang, and mentioned him alongside the actual mayor of Gangneung, so I thought they meant the town of Pyeongchang, as you described.

It didn't make sense so I went to checked the Korean news outlets. He is not a "mayor." He is the governor of Pyeongchang County, and yes he will be at the handover ceremony.

^^ Technically, both. Pyeongchang is the name of the county where the snow events will be held (Alpensia cluster). Inside Pyeongchang County is a town called Hoenggye/Hwaengye (really, the town is not big or famous enough to have a direct English translation), which is where the cluster will be centrally located (Alpensia, Yongpyong, opening ceremonies, village). Also inside the county is an actual town called Pyeongchang some kilometres away, but there are no planned events there.

I learned the hard way. I travelled to the town of Pyeongchang almost a decade ago during one of their earlier bids, and was confused when I saw nothing Olympic-related other than some banners. I soon realized the action was in another town!

Archived