Because it's one of the original 9 sports in the Modern Era program and it looks beautiful on TV. That's why. BTW, they draw blood from the horses. They don't ask them to pee.

Well said. Equestrian is wonderful to watch. Its one of my favourite sports during the Olympic Games. There is actually quite a lot of testing of horses in and out of competition.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess I'm not the only one who finds it ironic that all these recommendations are being debated by the IOC in Monaco, the very epitome of tax evasion, flaunting of extreme wealth, & general over

You hit on both points in that 2nd paragraph. It is most definitely feasible to allow other cities into the mix. But 'optimal' is in the eye of the beholder and the IOC voter who chooses the host ci

You can think what you want of royals (I'm a republican myself), but members like Prince Albert and Princess Anne WERE actual Olympic athletes, and have taken their IOC duties seriously. Indeed they'v

Your right Baron, therefore I apologies to the following IOC members:

HRH Prince Feisal Al Hussein

HRH Prince Haya Al Hussein

HSH the Sovereign Prince Albert II

Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al Sabah

HH Sheikh Tamin Bin Hamad Al Thani

Baron Pierre-Olivier Beckers Vieujant

Sir Philip Craven (not Mr)

HRH Crown Prince Frederik

HRH Prince Tunku Imran

HSH the Princess Nora of Liechtenstein

HRH the Grand Duke of Luxembourg

Sir Craig Reedie (not Mr)

HRH the Princess Royal (God Save the Queen)

And Honourable Member Henry Kissinger

I commend for all their community efforts finding a spare moment in their busy lives to help their follow person and community. Must be a grave sacrifice.

And, yes, they do urine testing on the horses. It's somebody's job to follow the horse around and stick a collection cup in the stream when the horse pees.

Something to think about next time you are bytching about your job.

So, it's got to be someone from the IOC medical staff? It can't be the grooms of the various teams because clean urine can always be substituted.

Triathlon will not be cut. It's a relatively new sport (came in 2000, I believe), has a lot of public interest (Ironman, mini-triathlons, etc.) and is a youth-oriented sport. Equestrian, on the other hand, while grand, is much more a 1%-er sport. Very few kids sitting at home are going to see it on TV and think they want to be the next gold medalist equestrian like they do with sports that are more relevant to them like triathlon, gymnastics, snow board, etc.

Your right Baron, therefore I apologies to the following IOC members:

HRH Prince Feisal Al Hussein

HRH Prince Haya Al Hussein

HSH the Sovereign Prince Albert II

Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al Sabah

HH Sheikh Tamin Bin Hamad Al Thani

Baron Pierre-Olivier Beckers Vieujant

Sir Philip Craven (not Mr)

HRH Crown Prince Frederik

HRH Prince Tunku Imran

HSH the Princess Nora of Liechtenstein

HRH the Grand Duke of Luxembourg

Sir Craig Reedie (not Mr)

HRH the Princess Royal (God Save the Queen)

And Honourable Member Henry Kissinger

I commend for all their community efforts finding a spare moment in their busy lives to help their follow person and community. Must be a grave sacrifice.

You can think what you want of royals (I'm a republican myself), but members like Prince Albert and Princess Anne WERE actual Olympic athletes, and have taken their IOC duties seriously. Indeed they've been among the hardest working IOC members, and in the past led the opposition to some of the more excessive tendencies of Samaranch. The IOC could do with MORE members like Anne and Albert. Royals also are representatives for their people. In many ways, they can be ideal members for an organisation where the members are unpaid and volunteers.

Also, you stretch it a bit to include the "Sirs". You DO know that knighthoods aren't bestowed any more (in the Commonwealth at least) for membership of nobility, but to "ordinary" people for their services to the community. People like Craven and Reedie got their knighthoods precisely because of their work in sports and efforts for the community.

Speaking of Craven - he's the president if the International Paralympic Committee. You wouldn't suggest that that is inappropriate and it's a bad thing to have the IPC head as an IOC member would you? Similarly the Tunku is head of the Commonwealth Games Federation. I'd consider it more criminal NOT to have those two in the IOC.

I think it's an incredible stretch to describe Kissinger as a "royal". He's also only an honorary member of the IOC. And I think with his diplomatic background and knowledge, quite useful to be in the fold.

I suspect you (and others) would never be satisfied unless the IOC vote to declare themselves "unclean", confess to crimes against humanity, ban themselves from attending the games they administer, and instead confine their role to being put in public stocks and pelted by rotten fruit and sh!t by angry mobs when the games are on.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2