Olympic Agenda 2020

olympikfan

I may be misinterpreting, but the second part of recommendation 1 sounds like they're allowing national bids. And just what is an event-based programme?

Yes and no. Here's the relevant section on that..

Bye-law to Rule 34
1. Any request to organise any event, discipline or other sports competition in any other city or
location than the host city itself must include the reason(s) for such request, and be presented
in writing to the IOC Executive Board for approval. Such request must be made at the latest
prior to the visit of the IOC Evaluation Commission for candidate cities., unless otherwise
agreed by the IOC Executive Board.
2. The organisation, holding and media coverage of the Olympic Games shall not be impaired in
any way by any other event taking place in the host city or its neighbourhood or in other
competition sites or venues.

So you can make a proposal to hold events elsewhere, but sounds like you can't offer it up unless the IOC approves it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be misinterpreting, but the second part of recommendation 1 sounds like they're allowing national bids. And just what is an event-based programme?

They go by events per sport (for ex. K-1 200 men's sprint canoeing) as opposed to looking at the overall sport to determine if it should be held. I hope this means the removal of synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics.

. And just what is an event-based programme?

I guess it may be possible to e.g. introduce 2 karate events and cut two other events from e.g. gymnastics on the premise these changes remain neutral to the overall number of athletes.

(Disclaimer: karate and gymnastics are random examples, not necessarily sth I personally would like to see happen or even considef realistic, but it's just an illustration of what this proposals could mean in practice to my understanding of it)

Actually, looking at all these recommendations, I don't see this as the huge revolution the IOC wants to spin it. Based on this, I doubt many of those that backtracked from 2022 bidding would have second thoughts. Some of these proposals even have an inherent risk to make hosting more expensive (spreading out also means more transportation needs etc).

Actually, looking at all these recommendations, I don't see this as the huge revolution the IOC wants to spin it. Based on this, I doubt many of those that backtracked from 2022 bidding would have second thoughts. Some of these proposals even have an inherent risk to make hosting more expensive (spreading out also means more transportation needs etc).

I totally agree. It's same-old; same-old. If they don't cut the superfluous, borderline sports (all those "box" sports, white-water rafting, consolation events where they will allow Malaysia, Indonesia, India and Pakistan to win; then what's the point??

We might see the members vote clause by clause on this at the session, as opposed to the entire agenda itself.

Oh, that's too much thinking for them. Let's take LA-2024 for example. The only things I can think of them taking out because there are no ready-made venues are:

1. Shooting

2. Rowing :(

3. White-water rafting.

What would they add? Baseball & softball again.

At least for SF 2024, I can hope that they'll cut out Athletics since there is no stadium there. :lol:

Random list of initial thoughts, apologies if it's a bit scattered....

There's lots to like in there but maybe not enough which will nullify the chilling Sochi-effect as far as I can see. Certainly not with regard to worries about hosting. Bidding may be less of a gamble with these ideas though.

We'll have to see how the permission to host events outside of the city/country works. How many bidders will want to take advantage of this? And whilst there's limits on the number of athletes and events, it's still an enormous number. Not much change there.

I like the increased focus on transparency with regard to publishing contracts and keeping a list of accredited consultants and lobbyists - are you watching FIFA?

They say they'll clarify the two budgets issue, but my question is how? They've been trying to do this for years but it's either a pointless excerise (the money has to be spent anyway), or preaching to the converted. Naysayers won't care that there are two budgets.

Olympic TV channel is a nice idea...will be interesting to see what that's like and how much interest it gains outside of the Games and the built-up.

They say temporary venues will be encouraged but they said that 12 years ago in their last review and it's had mixed results. Will a bid like Sochi's with no existing venues be welcomed with open arms in future?

The most obvious thing which I think could see some results is their approach to bidding. An invitation process could see more collaboration rather than it being a top-down process, but then again it might not work as there's still going to be plenty of requirements which aren't flexible, and a bidding race is still a competition with cities wanting to offer more than their rivals. The IOC bearing more cost of the bid is a good step, and I hope would encourage cities which are well capable of hosting but are worried about blowing cash in a wasted venture - getting good bids to return and stopping cities getting cold feet about the bidding process seems to be vital after the 2020 and 2022 races. I'm not sure how all this helps smaller cities who would struggle to host, but depending how much cost the IOC is going to bear, it may encourage bids to come back into the fold which have shied away before.

Lastly, I don't know if anyone saw this but "publication of bid files in electronic format only". A small but very easy cost saving measure. Not sure our resident eBayers and bid book collectors will think much of it though.

Agreed. And I don't see what's so revolutionary about the proposal to allow events outside the host city. Doesn't that already happen? Sailing, rowing, canoe, whitewater, etc. are almost always outside the host city's limits. Or are you guys interpreting this to fit, say, the San Francisco 2024 issue, where the host city may only house a few of the venues and others spread out over a vast swath of terrain?

The way sport's going, they might as well just give 2024 to Doha now & save everyone's time & money :angry:

For some reason, I can't see the IOC making the same mistake Fifa did. Doha Bid for the 2016 and 2020 Summer Olympics and Paralympics and didn't Host. I can't see the IOC choosing Doha for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics.

The way sport's going, they might as well just give 2024 to Doha now & save everyone's time & money :angry:

Easy option there...But the way things are going, anything is likely.

I'm more inclined to go with Robs thoughts and ideas here especially regarding Winter games which seems to be the true crux of the problem. Sochi starting off as a greenfield project verses already inplace venues that probably need minor tweeking takes merit in this. Spread out venues over a large geographical area does work as in the case of 1994. I suppose the IOC would have to settle on a future "hub and spoke" type of operation if they want costs to lower and make the Olympics, especially the winter version more attractive to potential future hosts.

This is not strictly about Agenda 2020, but I came across this interesting paper that touches on most of the major issues preoccupying our Oly discussions of late. One of the most thoughtful, well reasoned and balanced assessments I've read lately on the state of the rings. I recommend it:

The Olympic Games and Asia’s Rise - Yale Global

Recommendation 25

Cancel the Youth Olympics - No one watches them and no one cares.

Recommendation:

IOC members will be housed in the Olympic Village - no more 5 star hotels. They will be with the athletes and goodness eat with them.

you know the athletes what the Olympics are about.

Recommendation

International Federations pay for the travel of officials to and from the Olympics.

3. White-water rafting.

Surely there must be a river with rapids somewhere in California. I can understand building an artificial course for places like London that don't have easy access to mountains (although they could have held it in Scotland), but there's no excuse for building an artificial facility anywhere in the American West.

The kayaking issue disgusts me just like golf. This should be an easy sport that costs almost nothing for the host city, and the IOC and organizers are finding ways to make it a burden. If it's really so difficult for host cities to find a suitable river, then they should just hold a marathon sea kayaking or lake canoeing race instead of the slalom.

Recommendation:

IOC members will be housed in the Olympic Village - no more 5 star hotels. They will be with the athletes and goodness eat with them.

you know the athletes what the Olympics are about.

That seems very unfair to the athletes.

Recommendation 1-6

The Host City Contract made public, well that just fuels opposition to the Olympics. Knowing the financial contribution by city and government.

Recommendation 19

The Olympic Channel. Its nice to see that the IOC can joke. I believe NBC try it.

Recommendation

If the IOC is serious about costs. Then CUT SPORTS!!!!!!!

Recommendation

If the IOC is serious about costs. Then CUT SPORTS!!!!!!!

That's an excellent idea. And what sports would you like to see eliminated? Because this is still the IOC who previously voted to drop wrestling but keep modern pentathlon. So yea, good idea in theory, but really bad idea in execution.

That's an excellent idea. And what sports would you like to see eliminated? Because this is still the IOC who previously voted to drop wrestling but keep modern pentathlon. So yea, good idea in theory, but really bad idea in execution.

Oh definitely get rid of golf! The idea that it is even a considered a sport worthy to be in the Olympics is hilarious. Not everyone needs a golf course, or another golf course, certainly Rio doesn't.

Recommrndstion 37

One time extension of term in office beyond 70. NO!

Recommendation 38

No more royalty in the IOC.

Recommendation –

The IOC will loosen its grip and allow greater selling of olympic merchandise around the world.

Recommendation –

Find cost savings in the opening and closing ceremonies. (Sorry Baron)

Archived