So Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela has died, age 95. Without him, we almost certainly would not have been discussing the possibility of Durban, or any other South African city, as an Olympic host.

A remarkable human.

Forget just hosting.. South Africa might not even be participating in the Olympics today if not for Mandela.

The funny thing about the inevitable, it will happen, eventually.

When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always.

• Like 1

One should be careful about superlatives - but Nelson Mandela truly was a giant. Rarely will ever a politician and humanitarian make such an immense difference and leave such a powerful legacy. He achieved drastic change in his country by peaceful means - an achievement that cannot be praised enough.

So farewell, Nelson Mandela - you were a true inspiration, a flame and a beacon in a sometimes appallingly cold and disoriented world.

:( Oh so sad...even though we knew this day was fast approaching...

New Zealand has a close bond with Mandela, nearly ended up in civil war fighting apatheid.

All through the 1980's and to mid 90's this happend during my formative years growing up

Sleep in Heaven great Madeba. :(

He brought South Africa back to the world and made legalised racism taboo everywhere, not just in his own country.

What a better place the world would be if only there were more political leaders like him!

R.I.P Nelson Mandela

Nelson_Mandela-2008_%28edit%29.jpg

• Like 1

We've lost one of the most influential, courageous and profoundly good human beings that any of us will share time with on this earth.

Through his fierce dignity and unbending will to sacrifice his own freedom for the freedom of others, Madiba transformed South Africa and moved all of us. His journey from a prisoner to a president embodied the promise that human beings and countries can change for the better

• Like 1

I hope the funeral doesn't cost too much.

:angry: P### Off Baron! :angry:

Yet another one of your snide remarks.

(And it has been reported - just to give you a taste of your own medicine)

The moral giant of our age. The world's the poorer for losing him.

:) But far richer for his legacy!:)

Edited by Alexjc

Olympic Movement mourns death of Nelson Mandela and salutes “hero of humanity”

NM_BIG_NEW_2.jpg

©IOC/Giulio Locatelli; Getty Images

06/12/2013

International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach today expressed the shared loss of the sporting world at the passing of Nelson Mandela.

“The Olympic Movement is mourning the loss of a great friend and a hero of humanity,” President Bach said. “However, his attitude towards sport can make us proud – proud at his understanding of the potential of sport to bring inclusion.”

President Bach, who met Mr Mandela personally, added that he was an inspiration. “When I met him, I remember asking him if he hated his enemies. He replied, 'No'. When he saw I doubted him he added: ‘If I would hate them I would not be a free man anymore.’ That sums up the man and his humanity.”

NM_BIG_2_600.jpg

At a meeting at the IOC this morning, IOC member in South Africa Sam Ramsamy, who was a leading member of the anti-apartheid movement, praised Mr Mandela for his “understanding of sport as a uniting factor.” He added: “This is a time to celebrate a great life, not to mourn.”

Mr Mandela, himself a huge sports fan, once said: “Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire, it has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope, where once there was only despair. It is more powerful than governments in breaking down racial barriers. It laughs in the face of all types of discrimination.”

The IOC will observe a period of mourning of three-days at its head-quarters with the Olympic Flag at half-mast to mark his passing.

NM_BIG_600.jpg

Mandela with the Olympic Flame and that familiar friendly beaming smile back in 2004 is quite moving to see. It also reminds what a great idea that global torch relay was in 2004, bringing together so many different iconic cities and people. Unlike the successor in 2008... But I don't want to digress.

• Like 1

Mandela with the Olympic Flame and that familiar friendly beaming smile back in 2004 is quite moving to see. It also reminds what a great idea that global torch relay was in 2004, bringing together so many different iconic cities and people. Unlike the successor in 2008... But I don't want to digress.

Couldn't agree more, on all those points.

At least he got to see the World Cup that he worked so hard to bring to Africa. And Olympian, the torch relay was a great idea, but only as a one off. It was perfect for 2004 & the games coming home to Greece. When, thanks to Mandela's legacy, the Olympics finally reach Africa, maybe the flame should go to a city on each continent, but that's all.

I pray his legacy lives for generations, that it may inspire the future leaders among us and untie the world in peace through the power of a dream. His dream and the dreams of children around the globe now and forever to come.

At least he got to see the World Cup that he worked so hard to bring to Africa. And Olympian, the torch relay was a great idea, but only as a one off. It was perfect for 2004 & the games coming home to Greece. When, thanks to Mandela's legacy, the Olympics finally reach Africa, maybe the flame should go to a city on each continent, but that's all.

I love this idea, maybe it should go to the capitol of each participating nation. I feel that once Africa get's their games it will be a true global celebration, I hope I live to see it, see the unity of the world through the power of the Olympics.