Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Toronto Should Bid For 2028 Olympics Instead Of 2024

And just for fun, in much of the Spanish-speaking portion of the Western Hemisphere... the common term for somebody from the US is "norteamericano". And while norteamericano can also include a Canadaian, it most certainlly does not include Mexicans.

Won't they look silly in 300 million years when plate tectonics force North America and South America apart, and the Northerners have taken Mexico with them. :P

Toronto, Canada would be a strong Bid in my Opinion but I would also like to see Paris, France - Durban, South Africa and Munich, Germany Bid aswell because the one's I just mentioned would be strong Bids.

Toronto, Canada would be a strong Bid in my Opinion but I would also like to see Paris, France - Durban, South Africa and Munich, Germany Bid aswell because the one's I just mentioned would be strong Bids.

Yeah because Munich's most recent attempt was such a huge success and everyone's gearing up to give it another try asap...

Yeah because Munich's most recent attempt was such a huge success and everyone's gearing up to give it another try asap...

C'mon man, don't be a dick to the new guy.

C'mon man, don't be a dick to the new guy.

Thankyou. And also it's matter of opinion. If Pyeongchang had his mentality they wouldn't be host of 2018 Winter Olympics and Paralympics.

I wasn't referring to the failed 2018 bid, but the failed 2022 referendum.

Unlike what many seem to believe, hosting Olympics is not such a popular idea anymore in some parts of the world.

You can dream about a bid from Munich as much as you like, but reality is different.

I wasn't referring to the failed 2018 bid, but the failed 2022 referendum.

Unlike what many seem to believe, hosting Olympics is not such a popular idea anymore in some parts of the world.

You can dream about a bid from Munich as much as you like, but reality is different.

I respect your view on it and I never said Munich was going to bid, I said I would LIKE to see Munich bid because Amazing Venues, Amazing Legacy from 1972 and Germany hasn't hosted in a long time.

^^^ Gold Coast Lions multi?

• Like 1

^^^ Gold Coast Lions multi?

At least he uses punctuation.

• Like 1

Inteligent... 2024 is clearlly gonna be for Europe, but still a risk. I think Toronto should bid for 2024 in order to create a more competitible bid for 2028. Call it ''experiene gainer''. Also, beacuse if USA wins 2024 they'd loose their shot till 2032 at least.

Inteligent... 2024 is clearlly gonna be for Europe, but still a risk. I think Toronto should bid for 2024 in order to create a more competitible bid for 2028. Call it ''experiene gainer''. Also, beacuse if USA wins 2024 they'd loose their shot till 2032 at least.

Likely Bidders are - (Europe) - Paris, France - Madrid, Spain - Istanbul, Turkey and Rome, Italy - (North America) - Toronto, Canada and Usa (Have no clue which City)

If there's one thing Toronto doesn't need it's an experience builder lol.

If Canada gets 2026 Fifa World Cup, Toronto couldn't afford this aswell. Similar with Istanbul Bidding 2020 Summer Olympics and Turkey Bidding UEFA Euro 2020 (before Michel Platini announced Europe Host).

Likely Bidders are - (Europe) - Paris, France - Madrid, Spain - Istanbul, Turkey and Rome, Italy - (North America) - Toronto, Canada and Usa (Have no clue which City)

Madrid has already stated they will not bid. And you omitted Durban.

Madrid has already stated they will not bid. And you omitted Durban.

Oh yes, Durban. Thanks for reminding me. And yeah Madrid did state that my bad.

If Canada gets 2026 Fifa World Cup, Toronto couldn't afford this aswell. Similar with Istanbul Bidding 2020 Summer Olympics and Turkey Bidding UEFA Euro 2020 (before Michel Platini announced Europe Host).

First of all, Toronto has not yet said it will NOT bid for 2024 (or will, actually).

And then, I don't think there's any serious plans for Canada and WC 2026 so far.

So you're discussing completely hypothetical ideas.

First of all, Toronto has not yet said it will NOT bid for 2024 (or will, actually).

And then, I don't think there's any serious plans for Canada and WC 2026 so far.

So you're discussing completely hypothetical ideas.

Canada, Mexico, Usa and Colombia are discussing bids - Look at Wikipedia.

And I meant 2028 sorry.

Canada, Mexico, Usa and Colombia are discussing bids - Look at Wikipedia.

And I meant 2028 sorry.

But I meant 2024. You're already taking for granted Ytoronto won't be there in 24 even though no decision either way has been made.

As for Wikipedia...it's a great compendium, but I wouldn't take everything in there for granted.

First of all, the assertion that Canada cannot afford a SOG and a World Cup within 2 years of each other is completely false. Infact, Canada's federal government has budgeted for a major sporting event on average every 4 years. The 4 year quota will be used up by both a SOG and a WC since no other major events are planned around that time. The CSA has already started its campaign for the 2026 Canadian World Cup and has put many international organizations and FIFA on notice regarding their intentions. As for the Olympic Games, the COC stated categorically they will not entertain any other Olympic hosts within Canada before Toronto hosts an Olympic Games. I've already posted extensively about this so won't go into details. Canada is a rich country with a strong economy, both the city of Toronto and the Canadian governmet have AAA credit ratings. There is no question of bowing out because we cannot 'afford' these games.

They might be able to afford it (most o the richer western nations wouldn't have much trouble). But would the taxpayers want to have their money used for two carnivals in such a tight time span?