Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Toronto Should Bid For 2028 Olympics Instead Of 2024

Lol such a pointless exercise. America is not a country. Its usually refered to the continent.

It's referred to both ways and has been for decades. Hence the confusion.

Consider though, when people refer to "Americans" they most definitely are not referring to Canadians, Mexicans or Cubans. It follows that Americans are from America, i.e. the USA.

Talk about NORTH America and the language communicates a different meaning. Canadians live in North America.

• Like 1

I have the same recognition as Athensfan.As a person from outside of "America",when I hear the word "America" it always immediately means USA to me,not Canada....America of USA .Canada is Canada in NORTH "American" continent to me. :)

You're just desperate to be an American, aren't you, intoronto?

I live on the Americas continent yes. But the way you put it no Im not desperate to be a member of the USA.

You are also one of the guys of this forum that had predicted Chicago 2016 and Istanbul 2020 :lol:

Uh - can you quote me on that? You can't - because I never predicted a Chicago win for 2016, due to the fact I joined this forum just prior to the London Olympics. However, back then I was right behind Rio, and as much as Chicago is an appealing city for 2016, it was again too soon for the US.

As for Istanbul - I said it probably countless times that I supported Istanbul, but it was increasingly falling behind the tight ship of Tokyo.

Here is a tip: don't put words in other peoples mouths. It only reveals how truly uninformed and idiotic you really are.

• Like 1

Consider though, when people refer to "Americans" they most definitely are not referring to Canadians, Mexicans or Cubans. It follows that Americans are from America, i.e. the USA.

Talk about NORTH America and the language communicates a different meaning. Canadians live in North America.

While I do completely understand your point that America/Americans is normalised and is commonly used everywhere to describe citizens of, and the, United States, I do get intoronto's point --- that when listing countries, side by side, it is very incorrect to simply refer to 'America'. It tends to get under my skin. But when referring to only the US I don't see a problem.

• Like 1

While I do completely understand your point that America/Americans is normalised and is commonly used everywhere to describe citizens of, and the, United States, I do get intoronto's point --- that when listing countries, side by side, it is very incorrect to simply refer to 'America'. It tends to get under my skin. But when referring to only the US I don't see a problem.

Kind of offended by this; not going to go into details, but just to let you know who are you to say it is "very incorrect to simply refer to 'America'"? Sure there are other nations here, but America is a common and well used nick-name for the USA. It's similar to US it does not fully nor accurately describe what nation you are talking about.

The reality is that usage creates definition -- not the other way around.

For example, a pronunciation that was once incorrect becomes acceptable once it is sufficiently widespread.

The songs "God Bless America" and "America the Beautiful" are not about Canada, Mexico, Venezuela and Chile. It's about the United States. By long standing custom, the United States of America are also known simply as "America." It is not incorrect to use the word this way.

No other continent has this situation because there is no such thing as "The United States of Africa" or "The United States of Asia."

Sorry, intoronto, but I'm never going to call you an American.

• Like 1

But thats just it, Athensfan, this is not a one-way street. I agree with you that overwhelmingly COMMON VERNACULAR lends you the title of 'American' by nationality of the United States of America - but away from this, anybody from The Americas IS a continental American. That is an indisputable fact. Common use in the global vernacular or not, anybody from Winnipeg to Mendoza can refer to themselves as an American - by continental belonging, not US citizenship.

It, like many things, has a dual meaning.

• Like 1

For example, a pronunciation that was once incorrect becomes acceptable once it is sufficiently widespread.

The songs "God Bless America" and "America the Beautiful" are not about Canada, Mexico, Venezuela and Chile. It's about the United States. By long standing custom, the United States of America are also known simply as "America." It is not incorrect to use the word this way.

No other continent has this situation because there is no such thing as "The United States of Africa" or "The United States of Asia."

Yea the US took a continent and named a song after it lol. IIts just odd call a country a whole continent.

I live on the Americas continent, but I rather move to Ecuador then to the US.

Kind of offended by this; not going to go into details, but just to let you know who are you to say it is "very incorrect to simply refer to 'America'"? Sure there are other nations here, but America is a common and well used nick-name for the USA. It's similar to US it does not fully nor accurately describe what nation you are talking about.

And who are the US to call themselves as the entire continent? United States of America is a more correct term because that is specific.

But I'd disagree with you here, intoronto. The US can call themselves American- simply because they have, and were the first to claim it for use within their own country .

#nonamericanmediator

"God Bless America" is too racist phrase for a country that is considered so liberal

What's racist about it?

Common use in the global vernacular or not, anybody from Winnipeg to Mendoza can refer to themselves as an American - by continental belonging, not US citizenship. It, like many things, has a dual meaning.

Just asked my Chileno hubby sitting next to me: would you, or other Chileans, or Latin Americans generally, ever tell someone in general conversation you're American. Of course not, he said - except maybe in some parts of Mexico who want to be. Everyone understands that if you refer to someone as an American, unless you're being technical, your saying he's from one of the States of the Union.

By the same token, though, he said Chileans would refer to the country as the Estados Unidos, not America. And call citizens gringos or Yanquis rather than Americanos.

Whatever, if I was travelling to Canada or Argentina and told people I was going to America, I'd be being snootily pedantic and misleading.

I don't know very many Canadians who refer to themselves as American. How many of us in North America or South America have the kind of continental sentiment that they do in Europe or even Africa? For the most part, the countries here are bigger in size and more spread out than in Europe. Three of the countries on the two continents are almost the same size as Europe! I think we tend to refer to ourselves by our own nationality. To me, American refers to someone who lives in the United States of America, just as German refers to someone who resides in the Federal Republic of Germany or Australian refers to someone from the Commonwealth of Australia - not necessarily someone who resides in either North or South America.

Two different things in my opinion. Canada is part of the America's however if one says they are American I would assume they are from the USA and not Canada. Plus I don't particularly know why anyone would want to be American anyway. At least where i'm from we see that Canadians are amazingly kind and welcoming whereas Americans are rude and well unwelcoming. Now i'm not saying all or even most are like that but that is just the common belief (at least where I am from).

I don't mean to offend our American users btw.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Two different things in my opinion. Canada is part of the America's however if one says they are American I would assume they are from the USA and not Canada. Plus I don't particularly know why anyone would want to be American anyway. At least where i'm from we see that Canadians are amazingly kind and welcoming whereas Americans are rude and well unwelcoming. Now i'm not saying all or even most are like that but that is just the common belief (at least where I am from).

I don't mean to offend our American users btw.

This is an astonishing generalisation. Both the US and Canada are hugely diverse societies. I met some wonderful people in the US, and some blunt and uptight people in Montreal. You cannot wholly paint either of these two countries with the same brush like that.

What's racist about it?

Just asked my Chileno hubby sitting next to me: would you, or other Chileans, or Latin Americans generally, ever tell someone in general conversation you're American. Of course not, he said - except maybe in some parts of Mexico who want to be. Everyone understands that if you refer to someone as an American, unless you're being technical, your saying he's from one of the States of the Union.

By the same token, though, he said Chileans would refer to the country as the Estados Unidos, not America. And call citizens gringos or Yanquis rather than Americanos.

Whatever, if I was travelling to Canada or Argentina and told people I was going to America, I'd be being snootily pedantic and misleading.

But not inaccurate - it is still the Americas. As I said previously, people wouldn't use this language casually, but if we want to get technical, which is the point I think intoronto was trying to make, American does have a double meaning.

But it just doesn't commonly get used for the reasons you mentioned.

To clarify, the definition according to Merriam-Webster:

AMERICAN (noun):

: a person born, raised, or living in the U.S.

: a person born, raised, or living in North America or South America

Also going back to intoronto's original comment, using the word 'America' when referring to it in a group with other countries, is incorrect. In Australian universities, this would be considered improper, instead appropriate nouns would be the US, the USA, United States or United States of America.

eg/ its not the 1994 World Cup held in America, its the 1994 World Cup held in the United States.

This is an astonishing generalisation. Both the US and Canada are hugely diverse societies. I met some wonderful people in the US, and some blunt and uptight people in Montreal. You cannot wholly paint either of these two countries with the same brush like that.

That's why I said "i'm not saying (they) are like that but that is just the common belief.

I am sure there are lovely Americans and rude Canadians i'm just saying many people think that..

What's racist about it?

God is for all people of the earth, not only to bless USA

@intronto Are Mike Myers,Kiefer Sutherland,Celine Dion and Corey Heim Canadian or American? It will be spurprising if each of them(except Heim) says "I'm from America".

But thats just it, Athensfan, this is not a one-way street. I agree with you that overwhelmingly COMMON VERNACULAR lends you the title of 'American' by nationality of the United States of America - but away from this, anybody from The Americas IS a continental American. That is an indisputable fact. Common use in the global vernacular or not, anybody from Winnipeg to Mendoza can refer to themselves as an American - by continental belonging, not US citizenship.

It, like many things, has a dual meaning.

No and it's not "indisputable" citizens from the USA are Americans everyone else is either their specific nationality or North/South American.

Yea the US took a continent and named a song after it lol. IIts just odd call a country a whole continent.

I live on the Americas continent, but I rather move to Ecuador then to the US.

And who are the US to call themselves as the entire continent? United States of America is a more correct term because that is specific.

America is not a continent, North America is. Also if we can't call ourselves 'American' then what the hell are we? Maybe before you start saying how Americans are a

-a terrible nation because we call ourselves Americans and our country America go back to damn geography class.

No and it's not "indisputable" citizens from the USA are Americans everyone else is either their specific nationality or North/South American.

America is not a continent, North America is. Also if we can't call ourselves 'American' then what the hell are we? Maybe before you start saying how Americans are a

-a terrible nation because we call ourselves Americans and our country America go back to damn geography class.

It speaks of ignorance when you don't realize the whole continent is called the "Americas". Who decided what the continents are? Why is South Asia not a continent, while Europe is (When both are attached to the whole Eurasian continent for ex.). Fact is North and South America are one continuous landmass (which is often divided into two, but still one continuous landmass which is referred to the "Americas"). As Runningrings said using the term "American" is distinctly the US, they were the first to use so let them have it. However, saying you are from America is geographically and politically incorrect. The country is called the USA not "America",

"God Bless America" is too racist phrase for a country that is considered so liberal

Yes, 1. What makes America "so liberal" when the extremely liberal president barley has a 42% approval rating, no one is interested in socialized medicine, and in a recent galop poll it showed that had the election been this year Romney would have won. Does not sound too liberal to me...

It speaks of ignorance when you don't realize the whole continent is called the "Americas". Who decided what the continents are? Why is South Asia not a continent, while Europe is (When both are attached to the whole Eurasian continent for ex.). Fact is North and South America are one continuous landmass (which is often divided into two, but still one continuous landmass which is referred to the "Americas"). As Runningrings said using the term "American" is distinctly the US, they were the first to use so let them have it. However, saying you are from America is geographically and politically incorrect. The country is called the USA not "America",

No the whole continent is not called the Americas it is rather South American AND North America combined that take that title. The continent is called North America.