Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Toronto Should Bid For 2028 Olympics Instead Of 2024

My thoughts too. But I'd go as far as saying Toronto has no real chance until 2032 at the earliest. Again - South Africa, Europe and the US are all factors here. IMO Toronto should wish for a US win in 2024/28 - it would then have an extremely strong case for 2036 - 26 years after Vancouver and 60 years since Montreal.

I don't think that the average person knows too much about either, TBH. It's only here on gamesbids that the debate between the two ensues. And like I said earlier, the IOC is going to look at South Africa in a much more pragmatic sense, & not like some beauty contest between a couple of their cities.

Right. And do you believe the people that say Istanbul "can't make it" bcuz of its gridlock congestion & problematic layout? I'm sure you don't. So I also don't buy the "can't" in Durban case, either. There are solutions to virtually everything if one works on them.

agree ... the thing i cant get about Durban and Capetown is, its like İzmir and Istanbul or Manchester and London thing... never been there and just saying what i heard and know from web. thts why CT is in my mind... well dont bother it.. anyway african games will be iconic for olympics even Ct or Durban or nairobi

lets back to toronto thing. again.

So it could be like this to 2044 SOPG.

2024 Berlin Germany

2028 Toronto Canada

2032 Bangkok Thailand

2036 Los Angeles USA

2040 Perth or Brisbane Australia

2044 Lima Peru.

Ya probably.....

You obviously have no clue about what's going on in Germany and in Berlin particularly. After the Munich referendum, any German bid will be dead on its feet for quite a while.

Gold Coast Lions just generally has no clue on whats going on anywhere.

Gold Coast Lions just generally has no clue on whats going on anywhere.

bangkok lima..:) optimist guy he is.. dont push him hard:)

anyway african games will be iconic for olympics even Ct or Durban or nairobi

And that's been precisely the whole point all along. An African Olympics would be iconic & have a "brand mark" virtually anywhere they're held on the continent. As a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet that the city that gets to host it first, will take a back-burner in some way bcuz the fact that Africa would be hosting their very first Olympics would take center-stage. And besides, it's not like Africa is riddled with London's, Paris' & New York's. The only city in Africa that could be described as 'iconic' is probably Cairo. And they're not exactly up to snuff for the job anyway.

"Even" South Africa. It's more like especially South Africa. The only way I could see 2024 strongly favoring the U.S. & Canada is both Paris & South Africa don't bid. And even then, I don't think the odds would "strongly" be in their favor. The new Italian prime minister this time is in favor of a Rome candidacy & the Turks look like they want to give it another go to.

It's not like Italy has high chances anyway though?

Not to mention that Spain's economy is in not so great of shape. Now compare that to a CONTINENT that's never hosted before, & it's just no contest at all.

It seems like that is all South Africa is pulling though. Sure Spain's economy isn't that great but compare that to South Africas homicide statistics, crime rates and immense widespread poverty throughout the country.

If South Africa can convince the IOC members to give it to them simply because they are the last continent then good on them, however, I personally would rather a Paris or Canadian or United States 2024 Olympics.

It seems like that is all South Africa is pulling though. Sure Spain's economy isn't that great but compare that to South Africas homicide statistics, crime rates and immense widespread poverty throughout the country.

If South Africa can convince the IOC members to give it to them simply because they are the last continent then good on them, however, I personally would rather a Paris or Canadian or United States 2024 Olympics.

same... even kenya or morroco deserves more thn SA due to athletics records IMO... but poor economics and unstably democraticts make it nearly impossible. If ıoc accepts a games less expensive and emotional Nairobi can be the hotspot

^^But South Africa succeeded in hosting wonderful WC last time?

^^But South Africa succeeded in hosting wonderful WC last time?

It doesn't stop the fact that the country has high unemployment, immense poverty, one of the lowest life expectancy and a high homicide rate. I think there are much more deserving countries that deserve the games and it seems that all South Africa need to do is bid and then bam 2024 olympic host.

I'm sorry - that question again. What are 'much more deserving' countries? Can this be measured in a meaningful way that can allow the IOC rank their options? Thought not. Until then - South Africa IS not only a proven capable host country, but has a clear rapport with the Olympic movement that is a clear threat to its potential rivals.

Things like crime and poverty should be viewed in context. Whilst they are still extremely important, they cannot be measured in the same way as fully developed countries. The challenges facing South Africa are big, but are really not going to be any better or worse because of an Olympics. If South Africa wants the validation of giving the world an African Olympic Games - then all power to them. Until then, Europe may have to wait a bit longer for its next SOG.

Spain and South Africa got the same amount of people 50 million people and the Spanish economy is 3.5 times bigger then South African one not to mention they never hosted an multi sporting event apart from the 1999 All African Games< They need more nation building work to be done before they can get the games It would be in the mid century 2050s and 2060s when Africa will host the event for the 1st time and see being that South Africa, South Africa is not ready for the event at all nor ready any time soon.

My thoughts too. But I'd go as far as saying Toronto has no real chance until 2032 at the earliest. Again - South Africa, Europe and the US are all factors here. IMO Toronto should wish for a US win in 2024/28 - it would then have an extremely strong case for 2036 - 26 years after Vancouver and 60 years since Montreal.

You are also one of the guys of this forum that had predicted Chicago 2016 and Istanbul 2020 :lol:

• Like 1

same... even kenya or morroco deserves more thn SA due to athletics records IMO... but poor economics and unstably democraticts make it nearly impossible. If ıoc accepts a games less expensive and emotional Nairobi can be the hotspot

Seriously, you're talking about "if the IOC accepts less expensive" & then championing Nairobi. That's such an oxymoron. If that's the case, why can't that be done with South Africa, too. They could do it much more efficiently than Kenya. And it's not like the IOC is going to expect that South Africa spend as massively as China & Russia have, which is why Durban makes the most sense, yet you keep arguing against it. Go figure. And it's not like Nairobi or Rabat are anymore "brand mark" than Durban is, either

It's not like Italy has high chances anyway though?

Isn't that what many said about Tokyo 2020, too, though. Even for 2020, Rome was already an early favorite, & had they stayed in the race, I bet the Italians would've given the Japanese a good run for their money at least, & perhaps maybe even the stealing the show from entirely. But I'm saying their chances become very good only if both Paris & Durban refrain.

It seems like that is all South Africa is pulling though. Sure Spain's economy isn't that great but compare that to South Africas homicide statistics, crime rates and immense widespread poverty throughout the country. .

It doesn't stop the fact that the country has high unemployment, immense poverty, one of the lowest life expectancy and a high homicide rate. I think there are much more deserving countries that deserve the games and it seems that all South Africa need to do is bid and then bam 2024 olympic host.

Is that what your were saying when China, Brazil & Russia were bidding, too? All of them were basically "pulling" on one thing, too. And they all have those same problems as well, yet the IOC chose every single one of those countries. I remember how many were so adament that China "does NOT deserve" the Olympics due to their massive Human Rights violations, yet that's exactly what the IOC chose, & by a landslide, too. Brazil & Russia have immense poverty & high crime, yet there too, that's what the IOC chose.

And for the millionth time, NO ONE is saying that all South Africa has to do is bid. The bid at least has to be viable. The IOC is simply not going to hand South Africa the Games just for the sake of it & no one here is saying such a thing. They have to at least feel confidence in the South Africans, just like they finally did with the Brazilians, so they can do so. So stop taking things outta context when that's not the argument here whatsoever.

I personally would rather a Paris or Canadian or United States 2024 Olympics.

The only one there that would interest me just as much as a South African Games is Paris, than returning yet again to Canada or the U.S. Especially when the U.S. 2024 field isn't exactly turning out to be a stellar one. And I'm sure I'm in the majority on that one.

I'm sorry - that question again. What are 'much more deserving' countries? Can this be measured in a meaningful way that can allow the IOC rank their options? Thought not. Until then - South Africa IS not only a proven capable host country, but has a clear rapport with the Olympic movement that is a clear threat to its potential rivals.

Exactly.

Things like crime and poverty should be viewed in context. Whilst they are still extremely important, they cannot be measured in the same way as fully developed countries.

Yep, I remember some of the arguments about the crime between Rio & Chicago for 2016, & bcuz the U.S. is a much more developed country than Brazil, we don't get the same type of pass on that aspect.

Spain and South Africa got the same amount of people 50 million people and the Spanish economy is 3.5 times bigger then South African one not to mention they never hosted an multi sporting event apart from the 1999 All African Games< They need more nation building work to be done before they can get the games It would be in the mid century 2050s and 2060s when Africa will host the event for the 1st time and see being that South Africa, South Africa is not ready for the event at all nor ready any time soon.

Right. Yet Spain was proposing cheap, austerity Games in a nation that had already hosted the Summer Olympics as recent as 1992. These are the same type of arguments that were used against China & Brazil, too. And we know what happened with those bids, don't we.

You are also one of the guys of this forum that had predicted Chicago 2016 and Istanbul 2020 :lol:

I don't remember him predicting Chicago 2016. But I predicted PyeongChang 2018 & Tokyo 2020, & I agree with him on 2024! :P

Things like crime and poverty should be viewed in context. Whilst they are still extremely important, they cannot be measured in the same way as fully developed countries. The challenges facing South Africa are big, but are really not going to be any better or worse because of an Olympics. If South Africa wants the validation of giving the world an African Olympic Games - then all power to them. Until then, Europe may have to wait a bit longer for its next SOG.

I'm sure we all have different points which make or break a country and it's ability to host a games. I don't think that a country with such severe poverty issues, HIV/AIDS issues, severe unemplyment should host an Olympic Games.

Found this as a good read http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9280481/More-than-half-of-South-Africas-children-live-in-poverty.html

For now I personally believe that a developing country such as South Africa shouldn't host an olympics. I think that the Olympics should stick to developed countries and the developing countries should stick to developing. And yes that is what I thought about China with there appalling human rights record and I am disgusted by Russia's homophobic laws.

I believe that if South Africa bids for the games they will be the favorite simply because it's the "final frontier" while countries like Canada and the United States will struggle even though they are more qualified and don't have tens of millions of people living below the poverty line and dying of malnutrition and HIV/AIDS. This is just my own opinion.

A South Africa bid will be technically realistic and impressive enough to win IOC members support? I am waiting to see what they will offer because in some internet sites i see that half of proposed venues aren't realistic at all

I don't see SA hosting the games in 2024; 2028 would be a stretch. Here is how I see things playing out for 2024 onward to 2036:

- Sochi 2014

- USOC announces that LA has been selected as the American bid city

- Paris announces it is bidding

- Rome announces it is bidding

- Toronto announces it is bidding

- Cape Town announces it is bidding

- All bidding cities submit Applicant Files (LA, Toronto, Paris, Rome, Baku, Cape Town)

- Due to lack of support and funding Los Angeles withdraws from the race

- Winter 2022 vote

- Rio 2016

- IOC releases shortlist: Paris, Rome, Cape Town, Toronto

- IOC Vote

- Round One; Paris and Rome lead, Toronto is eliminated thanks to Cape Towns touching presentation

- Round Two; Paris leads Rome and Cape Town tie

- Round Three (tie-breaker); Rome is eliminated in favor for Cape Town

- Round Four; Paris wins by a land slide the vote is close to 65 (Paris) and 55 (Cape Town)

- Pyongyang Chang Winter 2018

- America announces it will not bid

- Istanbul announces it is bidding

- Dubai announces it is bidding

- Baku announces it is bidding

- Buenos Aries announces it is bidding

- Winter 2026 Vote

- Tokyo 2020

- IOC releases shortlist: Istanbul, Toronto, Cape Town

- IOC vote

- Round One; Everyone ties with 40 across the board

- Round Two; Istanbul gains a slight five vote edge, Toronto stays 40, and Cape Town is eliminated

- Round Three; Istanbul wins with a large majority. 70 (Istanbul) 50 (Toronto)

- 2022 Winter Games

- America announces it will bid

- Madrid announces it will bid

- Shanghai announces it will bid

- Melbourne announces it will bid

- Toronto announces it will bid

- America selects Los Angeles (In this timeline America endured a small revolution that lasted from 2016-2019 this resulted in tremendous patriotism and a new America)

- Prague announces it will bid

- Dubai announces it will bid

- Berlin announces it will bid

- Rome announces it will bid

- 2030 Winter Vote

- Paris 2024

- IOC releases shortlist: Los Angeles, Berlin, Rome, and Melbourne

- IOC vote

- Round one; Los Angeles leads and Melbourne is eliminated

- Round two; Los Angeles leads and Rome is eliminated

- Round three; Los Angeles wins by a very close count. (67) Los Angeles and (53) Berlin

- 2026 Winter Games

- Moscow announces it will bid

- Cape Town announces it will bid

- Sydney announces it will bid

- Edinburgh announces it will bid

- Istanbul 2028

- IOC releases shortlist: Berlin, Cape Town, Sydney, and Shanghai

- IOC vote

- Round one; Sydney leads and Shanghai is eliminated

- Round two; Sydney leads and Cape Town is eliminated

- Round three; Berlin wins by two votes. (62) Berlin (58) Sydney

^The winter bids would play a massive role in that scenario (especially for USA and Canada, who could potentially both bid and win 2026).

I don't see SA hosting the games in 2024; 2028 would be a stretch. Here is how I see things playing out for 2024 onward to 2036:

It won't be Capetown - Durban's pretty well set in stone (rightfully) as SA's future bidder.

It won't be Capetown - Durban's pretty well set in stone (rightfully) as SA's future bidder.

Okay, that makes more sense.

^The winter bids would play a massive role in that scenario (especially for USA and Canada, who could potentially both bid and win 2026).

I think though that both countries really have their hearts set on the summer games. The major downfall with winter games is that a select few countries can host or attend so in the end it comes down to do I go for gold or silver.

Lack of support for LA? Unlikely. When the USOC does bid it will commit till the end or end up getting backlash (like losing votes) when they bid next time.

I think though that both countries really have their hearts set on the summer games. The major downfall with winter games is that a select few countries can host or attend so in the end it comes down to do I go for gold or silver.

That all depends on how 2024 ends up. If either country loses, nothing's stoping the USOC or COC from throwing their hat into the ring for 2026 to give the winter games a shot too.

- Sochi 2014

- All bidding cities submit Applicant Files (LA, Toronto, Paris, Rome, Baku, Cape Town)

- Winter 2022 vote

- Rio 2016

- IOC Vote

- Round One; Paris and Rome lead, Toronto is eliminated thanks to Cape Towns touching presentation

- Round Four; Paris wins by a land slide the vote is close to 65 (Paris) and 55 (Cape Town)

- Winter 2026 Vote

- Tokyo 2020

- IOC vote

- Round Two; Istanbul gains a slight five vote edge, Toronto stays 40, and Cape Town is eliminated

- 2022 Winter Games

- America selects Los Angeles (In this timeline America endured a small revolution that lasted from 2016-2019 this resulted in tremendous patriotism and a new America)

- 2030 Winter Vote

- Paris 2024

- IOC vote

- Round three; Los Angeles wins by a very close count. (67) Los Angeles and (53) Berlin

- 2026 Winter Games

- Istanbul 2028

- IOC vote

Los Angeles will announce bid and then withdraw?? thats crazy

- Sochi 2014

- Winter 2022 vote

- Rio 2016

- IOC Vote

- Winter 2026 Vote

- Tokyo 2020

- IOC vote

- 2022 Winter Games

- 2030 Winter Vote

- Paris 2024

- IOC vote

- 2026 Winter Games

- Istanbul 2028

- IOC vote

I'm not even sure if this is fully serious.

So pyongyang is hosting 2018? North Korea has come very far from where they are now!

America small revolution? what? Do tell more! How many deaths are there? Are any cities ruined!

The 2024 olympic bid process also starts a year early and cities announce there intentions to bid in 2014 instead of the proposed 2015?

The 2028 olympic bid process starts a year early as well?

Istanbul beats Cape Town and Toronto!

South Africa doesn't host a games til at least 2040?

Scotland bids for a games?

Can you link me to this information! I can't wait for the next 20 years!

Sorry for the sarcasm. I just had to