Toronto Should Bid For 2028 Olympics Instead Of 2024

GBModerator

Yes, 1. What makes America "so liberal" when the extremely liberal president barley has a 42% approval rating, no one is interested in socialized medicine, and in a recent galop poll it showed that had the election been this year Romney would have won. Does not sound too liberal to me...

Maybe I need to keep up with current events more.. President Barley?

Glad to see this site hasn't lost its touch and that it can still go off on a tangent into something completely useless. int was right when he said it was a pointless exercise. That said, if someone says "America," more often than not, it is referred solely to the United States of America. If someone says "American," more often than not it's referring to someone from the United States. To refer to the continents, most people would call them North America or South America or The Americas. To Rols' point (and I actually have a friend who just traveled to Chile on vacation, so I should ask him), I'm guessing that most people in South American would refer to themselves as Sudamericano/a, not simply Americano.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God is for all people of the earth, not only to bless USA

In this case the UK must get a new national anthem.

Maybe I need to keep up with current events more.. President Barley?

Glad to see this site hasn't lost its touch and that it can still go off on a tangent into something completely useless. int was right when he said it was a pointless exercise. That said, if someone says "America," more often than not, it is referred solely to the United States of America. If someone says "American," more often than not it's referring to someone from the United States. To refer to the continents, most people would call them North America or South America or The Americas. To Rols' point (and I actually have a friend who just traveled to Chile on vacation, so I should ask him), I'm guessing that most people in South American would refer to themselves as Sudamericano/a, not simply Americano.

Sorry it was meant to come across as: 1. Our extremely liberal president barely has a 42% approval rating.

A couple of points.

Even in this thread people do not use "Americas" and "America" interchangeably. "Americas" refers to the two continents. "America" refers to the United States.

The only label to describe citizens of the United States of America is "Americans." They can't very well be "statespeople." Nor can they be simply "the United." That leaves "Americans." Why can't Canadians be content with being Canadians and North Americans? I honestly don't see the problem here.

As near as I can tell a few people are irked because they feel the USA is laying claim to the whole continent, but that's clearly not the case. We have defined borders and we know what they are. This is purely an accident of nomenclature. The founding fathers chose the name "The United States of America" -- which made perfect sense at the time. It was not designed to spite Canadians and, truthfully, at the time the country was formed there wasn't much clarity on just how big it would become. Come on, people. It's just not that big a deal.

As for "God Bless America" -- the song isn't written at anyone's expense. Of course one would like God to bless all people. The song just chooses to focus on a portion of them. The song isn't saying "Curse France! Curse Korea! Curse Uruguay!" It's inviting God to bless America. Lovely. What's wrong with that? Even if you're an atheist, it's not particularly offensive because from that perspective such blessings don't exist. Worst case scenario, it's a futile plea, but it's certainly not racist.

In this case the UK must get a new national anthem.

Sorry it was meant to come across as: 1. Our extremely liberal president barely has a 42% approval rating.

Eh...they all drop in their 2nd term, The independents, unfortunately, are such a fickle and impatient lot.

See his predecessor's...

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx

Guys relax. Canadians are hardly wanting to be American like someone here offensively generalized. Not even sure why intoronto brought it up as an irritant as I don't know anyone here who has a problem with Americans calling themselves citizens of America, however inaccurate that statement may be from a purely detail-oriented perspective. It's a minor matter. I refer to citizens of the USA as Americans and noone else, it's a noble title and Americans earned all the positive connotations associated with it. Canadians are proud of our country to the point of being condescending bastards. There was a time back in the 80's when Canadians did have an inferiority complex but those days are long gone, nowadays (the past 5 years at least) there's more Americans applying for Canadian citizenship/residency than there are Canadians applying the other way, Canada is a damn good place to live in and we welcome the world to immigrate here provided they are good people and don't bring any negative bagage with them. That being said we share a common North American culture and we love our American brothers and sisters, anyone who messes with the US messes with us.

Kind of offended by this; not going to go into details, but just to let you know who are you to say it is "very incorrect to simply refer to 'America'"? Sure there are other nations here, but America is a common and well used nick-name for the USA. It's similar to US it does not fully nor accurately describe what nation you are talking about.

You are VERY insecure if that offended you.

This old "debate" again. And it's funny the people that are making a big deal about the "American Continent" here are the same ones that argue that North & South America are "different continents" when it comes to the Olympics & how the IOC views it. Go figure. Is it no wonder then that the IOC sees it as such.

This is just my own opinion.

Perhaps you should become a member of the IOC then, so you could let your "own opinion" be known.

This old "debate" again. And it's funny the people that are making a big deal about the "American Continent" here are the same ones that argue that North & South America are "different continents" when it comes to the Olympics & how the IOC views it. Go figure. Is it no wonder then that the IOC sees it as such.

What I wonder is what do those who get heated about the use of the word Americans to describe citizens of the Union suggest to use in its place coloquially? US Citizens? US Americans? Rebel colonists?

Seriously, this speaks to the lack of real tangible Olympics related news that we're all splitting hairs over Australia/New Zealand and Canada/USA, some of the closest and friendliest national relationships around. What's next, Cuba/Venezuela, Dubai/Abu Dhabi and India/Israel? lol, 2015 couldn't come soon enough ;)

Did some research last night cause that is exactly what I thought but New Zealand isn't part of the continent of Australia. New Zealand is part of the sub-continent of Zealandia.

Gondwanaland rules!

Funnily enough, however, I just looked up a map of the continental plates before you posted, and NZ straddles the Indo-Australian plate (north island appears to be on this side) and the Pacific plate (which has South island). That said, I'm not going to claim expertise on planetary plate tectonics.

Talk about splitting frickin' hairs though. The fact is, there's a great mismatch in many areas if you're comparing linguistics, cultural, geographic and political classifications. I don't see that many people have too much of a problem navigating those differences, though.

Just occurred to me ... the few times I've mistakenly asked a Canadian "are you American" (ie, before they give it away by saying "oot"), they seem to be mortally offended, rather than congratulating me for correct terminology!

Guys relax. Canadians are hardly wanting to be American like someone here offensively generalized. Not even sure why intoronto brought it up as an irritant as I don't know anyone here who has a problem with Americans calling themselves citizens of America, however inaccurate that statement may be from a purely detail-oriented perspective. It's a minor matter. I refer to citizens of the USA as Americans and noone else, it's a noble title and Americans earned all the positive connotations associated with it. Canadians are proud of our country to the point of being condescending bastards. There was a time back in the 80's when Canadians did have an inferiority complex but those days are long gone, nowadays (the past 5 years at least) there's more Americans applying for Canadian citizenship/residency than there are Canadians applying the other way, Canada is a damn good place to live in and we welcome the world to immigrate here provided they are good people and don't bring any negative bagage with them. That being said we share a common North American culture and we love our American brothers and sisters, anyone who messes with the US messes with us.

Oh, please. That was in good fun and not a serious statement. If you find it "offensive" then you're misunderstanding the tenor of the post.

I do find it surprising that some are arguing that the words "America" and "Americans" have been unjustly appropriated by the USA and should be available for use by all residents of North and South America.

Obviously everybody doesn't really want to be American. That was a playful jibe.

Seriously, this speaks to the lack of real tangible Olympics related news that we're all splitting hairs over Australia/New Zealand and Canada/USA, some of the closest and friendliest national relationships around. What's next, Cuba/Venezuela, Dubai/Abu Dhabi and India/Israel? lol, 2015 couldn't come soon enough ;)

The bid process has become much less exciting. That's for sure. Or perhaps we're just jaded. Oh well.

Archived