Toronto Should Bid For 2028 Olympics Instead Of 2024

GBModerator

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, & also very interesting is how this former IOC member describes that the organization looks at North & South America as "one" continent. Going against on what some on here vehemently argue otherwise. I'm not surprised though, TBH.

Meanwhile Toronto's plans for 2024 are still on, city council is just doing their due diligence, the 2015 Pan Am committee and the provincial government have already stated they're on board. Henderson's opinion was solicited along with many others, he has no authority on decision making regarding the 2024 bid but his opinion will be considered along with everyone else being solicited by the audit committee.

Definitely true, but there are still so many unknowns. The field of bidders can dramatically change in the next couple years. Imagine Paris does not decide to bid for whatever reasoning. What if Rome pulls out again? I doubt that they would even submit a bid again knowing they might pull out again. Uncontrollable situations arise. If such scenarios happen, then this will strongly favour both Toronto and the chosen American city, even South Africa.

On the flip side, the field could be fully stacked for 2024. Then that will be a uphill battle.

neah 3 times out of europe? no way....

If there's one place that could do it, it's South Africa. Don't underestimate the potential, compelling power of the Final Frontier. The IOC has been talking about Africa for how long now. And especially if places like Paris (which would be the strongest Euro entry, IMHO) don't end up bidding.

Uncontrollable situations arise. If such scenarios happen, then this will strongly favour both Toronto and the chosen American city, even South Africa.

"Even" South Africa. It's more like especially South Africa. The only way I could see 2024 strongly favoring the U.S. & Canada is both Paris & South Africa don't bid. And even then, I don't think the odds would "strongly" be in their favor. The new Italian prime minister this time is in favor of a Rome candidacy & the Turks look like they want to give it another go to.

ok. i get your point about Africa.. question is if Durban gets tech. points enough ? another problem is durban is not a highly connected airport like capetown... it will be problem too.

still thinking cape town is a better option

+ where dey gonna find 55000+ hotel rooms in the city?

It's been pointed out many, many times here already that Durban is South Africa's most practical choice. It already has the Olympic stadium, a sports precinct to house other venues, the ideal weather during the Games time window, (& as some have also pointed out, more culturally African than Cape Town). All those technical attributes alone should get the South Africans "enough tech points". And considering how some like to criticizing that South Africa has bigger fish to fry than hosting some "elite party", then it would truly be irresponsible to build yet anther set of unneeded venues in Cape Town simply bcuz it's more "scenic" to some. I believe the IOC will look at South Africa with its pragmatic glasses, rather than with their "glamor" ones.

As far as the airport, the IOC, & all it's entourage didn't have any problems "connecting" there when the had their 2011 session in Durban when PyeongChang 2018 won. And surely it's gonna get upgraded in the years to come, not to mention if they win an Olympic bid. Hotel rooms? They could do cruise ships, ala Sydney & Rio if need be.

And of course, what else is Bach suppose to say. "No one else should bid cuz South Africa has it in the bag". Please, of course he's not say something like that. He still needs to coax other cities to bid. That's what he's suppose to do.

Berlin Germany bid would be the strongest in Europe, United Germany is the superpower of Europe last hosted the event back in 1936 would be the 35 years since the fall of the Berlin Wall and re-united Germany, The Germany economy is still growing while France is going backwoods like Greece and Italy is like Spain in deep money problems and with big youth unemployment. Germany got a growing economy low unemployment a sporting power and Europe superpower, Istanbul Turkey forget about it they are not going to win up against cities the likes of Berlin, Paris, Rome and Moscow 2020 was there best short. Spain will look like going for the Winter Games now with Barcelona Poland and the Ukraine is not ready for the SOPG.

If 2024 goes to Europe then it will be in Berlin Germany Berlin will be the strongest of them all in Europe even the great President Ronald Reagan wanted to see the Olympics Games back in the united Berlin and Germany there only bid since the fall of the wall was in 2000 where it was too soon and the work needed to be done more in the Old East Germany area after that was neglect from the Soviet Union for 30 years but 2024 they are ready to host the event, Berlin Germany bid will make a greater story for the Olympic Movement then Paris, Rome, Moscow 2024.

If 2024 does go to Europe then the 2028 games will go to North America in Toronto Canada I see the USA picking up the hosting rights to host the 2026 WOPG with Reno - Lake Tahoe Africa is not ready for the SOPG nor will be in the next 25 years.

So it could be like this to 2044 SOPG.

2024 Berlin Germany

2028 Toronto Canada

2032 Bangkok Thailand

2036 Los Angeles USA

2040 Perth or Brisbane Australia

2044 Lima Peru.

It's been pointed out many, many times here already that Durban is South Africa's most practical choice. It already has the Olympic stadium, a sports precinct to house other venues, the ideal weather during the Games time window, (& as some have also pointed out, more culturally African than Cape Town). All those technical attributes alone should get the South Africans "enough tech points". And considering how some like to criticizing that South Africa has bigger fish to fry than hosting some "elite party", then it would truly be irresponsible to build yet anther set of unneeded venues in Cape Town simply bcuz it's more "scenic" to some. I believe the IOC will look at South Africa with its pragmatic glasses, rather than with their "glamor" ones.

As far as the airport, the IOC, & all it's entourage didn't have any problems "connecting" there when the had their 2011 session in Durban when PyeongChang 2018 won. And surely it's gonna get upgraded in the years to come, not to mention if they win an Olympic bid. Hotel rooms? They could do cruise ships, ala Sydney & Rio if need be.

And of course, what else is Bach suppose to say. "No one else should bid cuz South Africa has it in the bag". Please, of course he's not say something like that. He still needs to coax other cities to bid. That's what he's suppose to do.

dont get me wrong but....

durban is neither a sydney nor rio... not a toursitic city like dem.. and the infrastructure and hotels..etc will take too much...

its not a barcelona too. cause lack of a giant tourism pool named Mediterranean...

just with an olympic stadium is not working.. we saw it at 2020 race ( %80 already built madrid)

so Sa must be clever and choose a site to boom for future.

I didn't say that Durban is just as touristy like Sydney & Rio. You asked a question about the hotel rooms, I merely gave you what could be a solution to that, if need be.

And again, it's not "just" the Olympic stadium. They have several other venues to work with as well, in a hub that could house other sports. The ideal weather in July/August, etc.

And c'mon. Madrid & Durban aren't even in the same league. That's like comparing Madrid to Istanbul. Spain didn't have a compelling case for the Games, plain & simple. So no matter how much they had built, it wasn't going to make a difference for them whatsoever.

1. another problem is durban is not a highly connected airport like capetown... it will be problem too.

2. still thinking cape town is a better option

3, where dey gonna find 55000+ hotel rooms in the city?

1. Durban is southeastern Africa's major gateway in the Indian ocean. It can ramp up its int'l airline connections.

2. Durban has the BEST weather in RSA in July-August period for a Summer Games. Has one ready Olympic stadium and the necessary open land around it for a whole new Olympic Park and/or Village.

3. Durban is RSA's major seaport. It will also be expanding its docks to accommodate big cruise ships to fill the shortage in Olympic hotel rooms...

I didn't say that Durban is just as touristy like Sydney & Rio. You asked a question about the hotel rooms, I merely gave you what could be a solution to that, if need be.

And again, it's not "just" the Olympic stadium. They have several other venues to work with as well, in a hub that could house other sports. The ideal weather in July/August, etc.

And c'mon. Madrid & Durban aren't even in the same league. That's like comparing Madrid to Istanbul. Spain didn't have a compelling case for the Games, plain & simple. So no matter how much they had built, it wasn't going to make a difference for them whatsoever.

still cape town is better IMO :) ask a 100 people around u about durban and cape town and let me know which one is a brand mark.:)

+ more tourists means hotel rooms.. even athens cant handle this issue while its a high tourism spot, dont think durban can make it...

Berlin Germany bid would be the strongest in Europe, United Germany is the superpower of Europe last hosted the event back in 1936 would be the 35 years since the fall of the Berlin Wall and re-united Germany, The Germany economy is still growing while France is going backwoods like Greece and Italy is like Spain in deep money problems and with big youth unemployment. Germany got a growing economy low unemployment a sporting power and Europe superpower, Istanbul Turkey forget about it they are not going to win up against cities the likes of Berlin, Paris, Rome and Moscow 2020 was there best short. Spain will look like going for the Winter Games now with Barcelona Poland and the Ukraine is not ready for the SOPG.

If 2024 goes to Europe then it will be in Berlin Germany Berlin will be the strongest of them all in Europe even the great President Ronald Reagan wanted to see the Olympics Games back in the united Berlin and Germany there only bid since the fall of the wall was in 2000 where it was too soon and the work needed to be done more in the Old East Germany area after that was neglect from the Soviet Union for 30 years but 2024 they are ready to host the event, Berlin Germany bid will make a greater story for the Olympic Movement then Paris, Rome, Moscow 2024.

If 2024 does go to Europe then the 2028 games will go to North America in Toronto Canada I see the USA picking up the hosting rights to host the 2026 WOPG with Reno - Lake Tahoe Africa is not ready for the SOPG nor will be in the next 25 years.

So it could be like this to 2044 SOPG.

2024 Berlin Germany

2028 Toronto Canada

2032 Bangkok Thailand

2036 Los Angeles USA

2040 Perth or Brisbane Australia

2044 Lima Peru.

You obviously have no clue about what's going on in Germany and in Berlin particularly. After the Munich referendum, any German bid will be dead on its feet for quite a while.

still cape town is better IMO :) ask a 100 people around u about durban and cape town and let me know which one is a brand mark.:)

I don't think that the average person knows too much about either, TBH. It's only here on gamesbids that the debate between the two ensues. And like I said earlier, the IOC is going to look at South Africa in a much more pragmatic sense, & not like some beauty contest between a couple of their cities.

+ more tourists means hotel rooms.. even athens cant handle this issue while its a high tourism spot, dont think durban can make it...

Right. And do you believe the people that say Istanbul "can't make it" bcuz of its gridlock congestion & problematic layout? I'm sure you don't. So I also don't buy the "can't" in Durban case, either. There are solutions to virtually everything if one works on them.

You obviously have no clue about what's going on in Germany and in Berlin particularly. After the Munich referendum, any German bid will be dead on its feet for quite a while.

What else would you expect from our non-punctual/Almaty/Asia Pacific/Canadian friend over there! :-D

Archived