Seventh Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Contest

drawing_2.jpg

Oh my friend yoshi created his logo! You did your best. How could you use your mouse by your cute hands?

Dannyel is really good at forming something.He has God-hands. I like that Usaanditalia used river.I think nobody used the river Chaopraya so far.

Hmmmm. Not so sure about the color. Rings seem small now.

I like it a lot, Danny. Something about the rings feels a little weird. Are they lighter scale than usual? Regardless, I like this design better.

I'll check this later. In the pink version, there is really some problem with the rings. I'll fix it and post it again.

Thank you very much for the notice =]

Hurrah, it's not a maple leaft!

I suppose it's most similar to Athens' logo Kev. So what I'd probably do with it is use the Athens logo as your template. Move the rings to underneath the city and the year, and put them in their full colour version.

Smaller points, I'd also make the "t" in toronto uppercase, and maybe have the wording in a dark grey rather than black just to take the edge off it.

Feel free to tell me you hate any or all of these suggestions, of course :D

Edited by Rob.

Hurrah, it's not a maple leaft!

I suppose it's most similar to Athens' logo Kev. So what I'd probably do with it is use the Athens logo as your template. Move the rings to underneath the city and the year, and put them in their full colour version.

Smaller points, I'd also make the "t" in toronto uppercase, and maybe have the wording in a dark grey rather than black just to take the edge off it.

Feel free to tell me you hate any or all of these suggestions, of course :D

Thanks Rob for the comments, much appreciated. :)

My first and foremost design intent was to avoid having any snowflakes, maple leaf or CN Tower, which is expected of anything winter or Canada. I did have Athens 2004 logo at the back of my mind, as it's my favourite Games of all time and I want to pay a little homage to it.

I've been vacillating about the font colour and placement of the rings, did try a version with darker font colour with the ring under. And also the logo in single/ different solid colour. Will post the other variations later and see how they compare.

Some of these designs rank among the best I've ever seen made for the logo comps. Ill comment on them after the submission deadline, but generally the ones I like best make a reference not just to Canada but also specifically to the culture or geography of Toronto/Ontario.

Ah what the hell, everyone else seems to be commenting now. Some of my favourite ideas already being proposed:

Daveypodmore's Niagara Falls. What a great way to promote Toronto by linking it with another world famous natural attraction just a short drive away- a link that isn't always obvious upon first thought.

Aismanggo's maple leaf. He used something Canadian but turned it into something very Torontonian. It's one of the few logos with the CN Tower and he managed to use it in a non-cheesy way. And the reflection of the buildings on what appears to be Lake Ontario is just brilliant.

Kevzz's Tom Thomson painting. Kudos for even discovering what is a significant part of Ontario culture known to all in Ontario, yet probably unknown by all outside of Canada. The meaning is not obvious upon first glance but something the local population will appreciate, and, like Daveypodmore's, is a great way to promote the local culture to the outside world. Kevzz mentioned it as a homage to the Athens logo, but I even see some Lillehammer in it, in the sense that it captures a wintery feel in a painting unique to Ontario, much like Norway's aurora borealis which is unique and distinguished from the locales of the other past Winter Olympics hosts.

How time catches up! Okay, I've ventured out of the post-Christmas torpor to update progress. Only a bit over four days to go now to get those last logos or revisions locked in!

Some really great late entries coming in! Just a bit of housekeeping and comment (before I head off to watch Hobbits):

Victor Mata: Fair enough if you wanna withdraw it. I'll take it as such unless you change your mind, but for what it's worth, I think it was a really strong application and development of the branding. Okay, the originality aspects are diminished somewhat in my view as well, but I would have accepted it as a legitimate concept bringing the existing iconography forward (in a retro way).

alphacarter: Which final version of your Toronto logo are you going with? The rings in colour, or in mono?

Danny: I like both of those - maybe your original one a bit more. Do let me know what the final one is you'll go ahead with.

USAandItalia: Ditto as with Danny. I was a bit sorry to see the elephant go.

In about 48 hours, I'll post up what I'm assuming are the preliminary finalists' fields in both categories to go through to the short list vote just to check I've got everyone's preferred final versions right and to ensure I haven't left any out. The comp will still be open after that though for final entries right up until the clock strikes 2014 in Sydney.

Edited by Sir Rols

my submission for toronto 2026..

11561093104_3d385e3055_b.jpg

toronto2026 2 by atifnadzir, on Flickr

11560994123_85a05293c8_b.jpg

toronto2026 by atifnadzir, on Flickr

Great logo, but I'd be very surprised if this is not completely inspired by the Gold Coast 2018 logo- to the point where that logo uses GC's iconic Q1 tower as the pinnacle, in a similar way to the CN Tower.