Seventh Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Contest

It's December, the festive season is ahead, we have a new (Olympic) year to look forward to, and it's time to set our creative juices flowing. So...

It's my pleasure to officially launch the Seventh Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo competition!

Members are again invited to design either a Summer or a Winter Games logo, or both!

I've had this year’s contending cities in mind almost since the close of our last comp (though I did have a last minute change-of-mind for our winter contender. Same country, different city). For those who've been following the teasers I've been putting out, let's see how far off your guesses were.

First, Winter 2026.

This year it’s time to honour the country that has contributed to and shaped GamesBids so much over the years, from our proprietor, Rob Livingstone, who founded the site as torontosummergames.com, to the scores of members from the Great White North who have been with us through bids and hostings since then and are now gagging for another tilt at the Olympic merry-go-round.

Yes, it’s in Canada!

Initially, I thought Quebec City, but with the fields for the winter contenders now moving to metropolis and in the spirit of progress that is now presenting us with the likes of Beijing, Barcelona, Munich and Stockholm as winter contenders, this year we’ll go with...

Toronto 2026

Toronto_winter.jpg

Remember, this is a Toronto bid for a winter games, so let's see some Canadian cosmopolitanism and colour with a winter feel. Mounties and mountains, as it where. And for those who want to know where the alpine events will be held… well, somewhere in the Rockies, I suppose (I DID say it was in the spirit of Stockholm and Beijing 2022!). Or Vegas (in the spirit of Krakow-Jasna).

And so onto Summer 2028.

2028 brings the “Asian rule of 8” into play. Initially I considered Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, but settled long ago on...

Bangkok 2028

bangkok-grand-palace.jpg

Or Krung Thep, the pearl of Thailand, Travel & Leisure’s “Best” city for four years running and a proud Olympic host that I’m confident will offer plenty of scope for creative design, fonts and graphics. You can always look for inspiration on Thai takeaway menus.

Just one note – as per the lèse majesté clauses of the Thai Kingdom’s Constitution of 2007:

"The King shall be enthroned in a position of revered worship and shall not be violated. No person shall expose the King to any sort of accusation or action."

In other words: DON'T MENTION, OR DRAW, THE KING! (elephants are okay, though).

For those of you not familiar with the drill, the rules and advice for this stage of the competition are:

We are after logos for that encompass the overall feel of the city and local influences that can be tied into a design concept. How can any of these cities articulate graphically what they could bring to future Olympics hosting? What flavour will they bring to the games?

The logos should be presented as full colour designs on white background. If you like, however, they can also be presented in black and white or utilised in forms like street banners, t-shirts, apps, vehicles, pins etc. For voting purposes, the main (colour) logo will be used on the polls, but any extra material you produce may help you “sell” your design better to the wider GamesBids voting membership.

These logos are for HOST cities. So you can use the rings, and don't need to include the words “Candidate City”.

Post your preliminary submissions on this thread. If you want to hold anything back to be presented as a “surprise” when voting starts you can contact me via PM and I'll tell you where you can send the extra material.

Feel free to post as many logo designs as you like. When the time comes for voting, however, you will be asked to settle on ONE official logo in each category (winter and summer) as your official entry.

I'm not sure if this is still up to date but Rob. last year gave some good links for the graphically or technologically challenged (and, I hope, will update them if there's anything better around now):

Want to enter but don't want to use a pencil and paper or MS Paint?

Fear not!

Free software from the internet is available...

Inkscape - for vector graphics, drawinghttp://www.inkscape.org/

Paint.net - for photo editing and manipulationhttp://www.getpaint.net/

The deadline for submissions is 12pm (Sydney time) on December 31 – ie, you must submit your logos before the end of this year. We will thus start 2014 (with a few days, perhaps, to clear our heads of hangovers) with the voting for short lists, followed by the final round polls.

I will rule on any disputes.

So with no further ado, it’s over to the real stars … the entrants. Good luck everyone and have fun!

* Oh, one last thing. Explanation of the hints. I know they were cryptic – they were meant to be. But I thought there was enough there on each to get the links between them. Anyway:

Initially, when I was thinking Quebec City, I posted a French beaver hat (if you would have clicked on the image details, it would have said so) and a gift from god (referring to the city's motto). When I switched to Toronto, I kept the Beaver hat and added cannibals (in honour of the mayor's gaffe in the 2008 race), and crack (in honour of the present mayor).

For Bangkok, the clues were from western popular culture, from Yul Brynner, who starred as the King of Siam in The King and I, to Benny Anderson's and Björn Ulvaeus' Chess (One Night in Bangkok). And finally, the city's reputation for its lady boys.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To give some idea of how these cities have approached the Olympic task in the past in real life, here's what they've used as bid logos:

Toronto:

lg1996b5.jpglg2008bt2.gif

It's funny, looking at those Toronto bid logos above, I think either of those would work just as well as a winter bid logo. The fireworks could also imply snowflakes in the 96 one, and the maple leaf in the first box of '08 also has a snowflake vibe to me. Not to mention the second box, in blue graphics, has a mountainy winter feel to me.

Bangkok

lg2008bb.gif (surely anyone here can better THAT effort!)

Logos are all well and well, but can we do a venue plan as well?

I got a crazy idea for Toronto to use Blue Mountain in nearby Collingwood (artificially heightened from a 219 vertical drop with an added 600 vertical for 819 m drop), to be used as for alpine events.

Logos are all well and well, but can we do a venue plan as well?

I got a crazy idea for Toronto to use Blue Mountain in nearby Collingwood (artificially heightened from a 219 vertical drop with an added 600 vertical for 819 m drop), to be used as for alpine events.

You can. But I don't see how it would sell the graphics for a logo comp... Which us what this is, nothing more, nothing less.

You can. But I don't see how it would sell the graphics for a logo comp... Which us what this is, nothing more, nothing less.

The answer is simple. Make a little promotional book (not a bid book) that bidding cities make with their bids. Add as much graphic content (design, maps and logo) as you want there.

The answer is simple. Make a little promotional book (not a bid book) that bidding cities make with their bids. Add as much graphic content (design, maps and logo) as you want there.

Yeah, well that's a comp of its own. You can do it if you want, but the vote at the end will be on the logo, not the book. I don't do, or have any interest in, bid book or mini bid book comps. These logo comps have always done well enough precisely because nothing else is required beyond a bit if graphic fun. Anyway, it's tradition now - Christmas-New Year time is logo time.

I'm in, here's a BIG clue as to what my logo will feature. The Toronto Olympic Planning Committee is excited to unveil the final logo next week at a special ceremony. Until then they have offered a small 'cryptic' promotional image for the games and it's design brand.

143g9ki.jpg

I'm in, here's a BIG clue as to what my logo will feature. The Toronto Olympic Planning Committee is excited to unveil the final logo next week at a special ceremony. Until then they have offered a small 'cryptic' promotional image for the games and it's design brand.

143g9ki.jpg

I like it. But the leaf shape seems more British Columbia to me. Toronto's more a crack pipe in my view.

143g9ki.jpg

Ironically I thought of the very same typo first yesterday evening :lol: but I settled for another in the end.

Here's my Toronto 2026 Olympic Winter Games emblem:

toronto2026.png

So there's three main elements in it:

- Ontario Lake to present the host city & region

- the maple leaf to present the host country and

- the Olympic rings to present the Olympic spirit and global inspiration of the Toronto 2026 games.

As for the colours:

- blue for Toronto

- a light green as a reminder of the marvellous Vancouver 2010 games and of course

- red for Canada

The rectangles shall represent how every single athlete and spectator makes the games a memorable experience.

I'm in as usual, I'll have a think today which city I'll go for. Thanks for organising this again Rols! B)

As for free software, Inkscape and PaintNET are still decent enough for vector graphics and image editing respectively and are the only free pieces of software I've used. But I've done a bit of Googling and found this blog piece all about free software. Sections 1 and 4 are the ones of interest...

http://www.creativebloq.com/graphic-design/free-graphic-design-software-8134039

Hope this helps!

Yeah, well that's a comp of its own. You can do it if you want, but the vote at the end will be on the logo, not the book. I don't do, or have any interest in, bid book or mini bid book comps. These logo comps have always done well enough precisely because nothing else is required beyond a bit if graphic fun. Anyway, it's tradition now - Christmas-New Year time is logo time.

This time of year is always flat out impossible for me due to work. C'est la vie.

Good on you for keeping it simple.

Aren't cauldrons illegal?

Only for bid logos (AFAIK). These are all meant to be host logos.

Actually at some point i want to contact Rols to ask him to make competition about Jakarta, since i want to know how foreigner see my country :), but Bangkok is OK, I'll try my best with Krung thep... Sawasdee

I could imagine lots of batik or wayang puppets. Actually, I settled on Bangkok specifically because I knew we had Indonesian, Singaporean and Malaysian members, and didn't ant to favour one over the other. Never known of any Thai member here.

The Toronto Planning Committee is proud to unveil the emblem of the 2026 Winter Olympic Games

w1p56e.jpg

The Logo's meaning: The main color RED symbolizes the Canadian flag, the snowflakes symbolize the winter games and the cities involvement, the maple leaf represents Canada's tie to nature, and the French translation of the games motto represents the nations french roots.

Along with the logo promotional images have also been released:

2vlptfp.jpg34g3394.jpg2djyxl4.jpg2qxol1y.jpgr86o9f.jpg

In the promotional images and banners all five Olympic colors are featured.

The next thing to be unveiled is the official venue plan and promotional booklets which must be approved by the IOC before a public introduction.

I've watched this contest the past few years and want to enter this year. I have a mac and neither of the graphic design softwares from the initial post seem to work on my computer. Can anybody recommend a free graphic design software that will work on Mac?

Not sure if any of these are good, but there's a few Mac ones listed here:

http://www.creativebloq.com/graphic-design/free-graphic-design-software-8134039

Someone else might also have suggestions.

Can it be a joint Bangk-oronto bid? Winter/alpine events in Toronto and Figure Skating/Curling in Bangkok?? :lol:Winter Games with a Thai Food touch!!

If you wanna submit it, I'm not going to throw it back.

Maybe you and Lord David can collaborate on a venue plan/bid book?

Archived