Wishes for sports & events @ Sochi

As the mouth-watering Sochi games approach...And olympics are all about sport....

Just curious to know if there's any athlete / team in whatever sport / event that you're particularly looking forward to seeing @ Sochi, if you would like to see anyone succeed in particular. Who's gonna make those games ?

I do not back athletes according to their citizenship, but rather according to their personality, performances...according to themselves.

Being into snowboard, I would like Iouri Podladchikov (SUI - but may represent Russia) to make it to the podium in halfpipe. Really endearing guy, talented, hope he grabs a medal.

Snowboard - parallel slalom : Benjamin Karl (AUT).

I hope Ilinykh / Katsalapov and Bobrova / Soloviev (RUS) in ice dance will also be part of the athletes that will make the games. Both pairs are really good I can't even pick one.

In hockey, a great performance by team US would be nice...Or Russia in front of their crowd.

I'll try to look past the norwegian gold rush that is coming up in Sochi.. B)

The most memorable athletes are impossible to predict in advance. I'd say every underdog achievement, and esp if they're from a non-traditional nation in that sport, is a great story. I don't think anything is ever going to beat Steven Bradbury's gold in 2002, but there will always be surprises and stories.

The hockey tournament is always a highlight. I've been fascinated by the old soviet hockey teams that destroyed its competition. The russians always play technically and fluidly; a final between Russia and USA on russian soil would be a very special thing cause of history.

Personally, I'd like to see a good farewell competition from Ole Einar Bjørndalen. He's old now and hasn't done anything remarkable for a while. It'll be his last olympics for sure.

Another veteran that as far as I'm aware will compete in Sochi is Noriaki Kasai the skijumper, a personal favourite. He's 41 years old and have already competed in six winter olympics, so that would be his 7th. That should be a record of some kind.

Too bad Lena Neuner has retired though..

I also enjoy watching sports where i have no idea who the winner will be or how the point system works, for instance half pipe, curling or ice skating (no, not really). Those sports you don't normally follow, but that you do cause of that olympic buzz.

Canada's hocky team is maybe too strong. I'm looking forward to see Sara vs Sarah(Sara Takanashi JPN vs Sarah Hendrickson USA).But Sarah is unsure to go to Sochi because of her injury.I hope her get well soon.

I'll try to look past the norwegian gold rush that is coming up in Sochi.. B)

:) You can't help it, can you....

I agree that any unexpected nation winning a medal in a wog is a great thing (am I starting to rub off on you ? :P )..

It's not gonna be Australia anymore as Australia now has many athletes capable of winning medals at winter games, which is awesome. But it'd be nice if it happened with a small delegation.

Janni Weir!!

I always knew that your critics towards him were hiding the fact that he's your idol...

Canada's hocky team is maybe too strong. I'm looking forward to see Sara vs Sarah(Sara Takanashi JPN vs Sarah Hendrickson USA).But Sarah is unsure to go to Sochi because of her injury.I hope her get well soon.

Nice choice, especially as it will be a first for that event in Sochi. It will trigger a lot of curiosity and interest indeed...

Speed skating, 10K

I hope that that Sven Kramer wins gold after the "disaster" in Vancouver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a0V7H_8IDI (from 2.40)

Very interesting video, and definitely dramatic for Kramer...Something he'll remember all his life. I guess he thanked his coach many times after that....

I'll sure be looking forward to his event to see if he gets it. And I'll know what will be on his mind before the race as well.

I cant wait for the short track. Out of all the different olympic sports I've seen live (22 at current count) its the most exciting to watch and my absolute favourite. Saw 4 out of 5 sessions live in vancouver - will just have to appreciate it all on tv this time. Here's hoping for a first british medal in the sport since 1992!

Very interesting video, and definitely dramatic for Kramer...Something he'll remember all his life. I guess he thanked his coach many times after that....

I'll sure be looking forward to his event to see if he gets it. And I'll know what will be on his mind before the race as well.

He still has the same coach. In this video he talks about the period after the Games:

http://www.olympic.org/news/sven-kramer-aims-for-a-hat-trick-in-sochi/217102

(from 3:00)

I wish for the same thing I wish for every Olympic Winter Games, Canada to win the Quad. Men's and Women's Ice Hockey, and Men's and Women's Curling. A stupid mistake cost the nation that glory in Vancouver.

I would also like to see a lot of Norwegian and German medals, some sexy athletes and for the Canadian men to do well in cross country.

Dear G-d I have a lot of hopes.

So here's a list

1) The Quad as stated above

2) Canadian men's cross country team to win a few medals

3) Canadian luge team to win a medal or two

4) Norwegian medals

5) Virtue/Moir repeating with a Chan victory to erase the horrors of the failed Canadian men

I wish for the same thing I wish for every Olympic Winter Games, Canada to win the Quad. Men's and Women's Ice Hockey, and Men's and Women's Curling. A stupid mistake cost the nation that glory in Vancouver.

Gonna be tougher than in Vancouver for you guys I think. But always possible. I know lots of Canadians who are gonna fall in deep depression if their men's hockey team doesn't win lol

I would also like to see some sexy athletes

:)

Seems like you'll be well-served in that area...

For me....Iouri Podladchikov, Andreas Kofler, Andreas Wellinger, Scotty Lago....there'll be quite a few ;)

He still has the same coach. In this video he talks about the period after the Games:

http://www.olympic.org/news/sven-kramer-aims-for-a-hat-trick-in-sochi/217102

(from 3:00)

What a proof of trust. And perseverance. That truly what the spirit of olympism is about ....

Best of luck to Sven, he sounds like a truly nice guy.

Gonna be tougher than in Vancouver for you guys I think. But always possible. I know lots of Canadians who are gonna fall in deep depression if their men's hockey team doesn't win lol

:)

Seems like you'll be well-served in that area...

For me....Iouri Podladchikov, Andreas Kofler, Andreas Wellinger, Scotty Lago....there'll be quite a few ;)

What a proof of trust. And perseverance. That truly what the spirit of olympism is about ....

Best of luck to Sven, he sounds like a truly nice guy.

I wouldn't say harder. Men's curling is just as strong as Vancouver, women's curling is likely going to be stronger, women's hockey is about the same and men's hockey will likely be USA, Sweden, Canada and Russia.

and men's hockey will likely be USA, Sweden, Canada and Russia.

Precisely. That's what I meant by tougher, I was targeting the men's ice hockey which is going to be the toughest element of the 4.The teams you mentioned are indeed gonna be serious opponents, and if I were you, I wouldn't forget about the Czechs and the rising Swiss outsiders (they beat you at the last Worlds). But again it's possible and we'll follow that ;)

Precisely. That's what I meant by tougher, I was targeting the men's ice hockey which is going to be the toughest element of the 4.The teams you mentioned are indeed gonna be serious opponents, and if I were you, I wouldn't forget about the Czechs and the rising Swiss outsiders (they beat you at the last Worlds). But again it's possible and we'll follow that ;)

The worlds mean nothing. The Czechs are old and slow, pretty much the only high end Czech player to come around has been Thomas Heartl. It is the Finns I'd be more worried about. And I'd actually say its women's curling that will be the most difficult because you have Canada, Britain, Sweden, Switzerland and China, plus you can never count out Russia or the Americans.

The worlds mean nothing. The Czechs are old and slow, pretty much the only high end Czech player to come around has been Thomas Heartl. It is the Finns I'd be more worried about. And I'd actually say its women's curling that will be the most difficult because you have Canada, Britain, Sweden, Switzerland and China, plus you can never count out Russia or the Americans.

+ Canada's women haven't won the world's since 2008.

I wouldn't also count of Scotland or Denmark

Great confidence lol. Which is nice. We'll see.

Not specific, but I'd like to see Australia win four medals, perhaps of any colour. Even bigger wish would be for us to crack the top 10- but that might be a long shot for 2014- but a reasonable target for 2022.

For NZ a medal would be nice!

After seeing him win a silver this year at the winter x games europe in Tignes (FRA), I'm thinking maybe Jossi Wells in ski slopestyle can do it for NZ ?

He'll definitely be one to watch for our kiwi friends...

For Oz, I guess 4 medals is a very realistic goal.

Archived