Brazil 2014 Final Draw

gotosy

Because they have to move according to where the stadiums are;the stadiums used by football clubs of the country(maybe..). If WC would be held in the countries of large size like USA,China,Australia,Russia,the fans would follow just because they want to watch the best football on the great stage,which is WC. Hmm..$4000USD sounds too much.Not so many people watch all matches,I guess.

I UNDERSTAND that. But what I don't understand is why do they have to move them around in the prelim stages? Why NOT limit it to the top 8 cities??? Why can't they just anchor them in their Group X city. And then UNDERSTANDLY, as it narrows to 16 - 8 - 4, it shrinks to the major cities? It's like...becuz you are a diehard fan of your team, therefore, we will MILK you for everything you've got...so you'll have to MOVE around...check in at different hotels, etc., etc. Before you get to know a town, you already have to move on to the next one. As I said, thank God, I'm not a SUCKA for any sports team or personality to waste my resources like that.

Do they really hope to recover their stadium investments by doing that?? Will say, 4 early games, in Natal, cover the cost of their having a new stadium? I don't think the ticket sales for 3 or 4 sold-out matches would bring back $200 million to the smaller cities?? (I know the federal gov't kicks in most of the cost of the stadia...but still, that came from the people's taxes).

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I UNDERSTAND that. But what I don't understand is why do they have to move them around in the prelim stages? Why NOT limit it to the top 8 cities??? Why can't they just anchor them in their Group X city. And then UNDERSTANDLY, as it narrows to 16 - 8 - 4, it shrinks to the major cities? It's like...becuz you are a diehard fan of your team, therefore, we will MILK you for everything you've got...so you'll have to MOVE around...check in at different hotels, etc., etc. Before you get to know a town, you already have to move on to the next one. As I said, thank God, I'm not a SUCKA for any sports team or personality to waste my resources like that.

I think there are some good reasons;Is it possible to have several matches in a row in one stadium a day?It might be possible but we have to consider about the quality of the grass I think. A stadium or I should say the pitch needs rest for the next match to keep the least quality,don't you think so?

I think there are some good reasons;Is it possible to have several matches in a row in one stadium a day?It might be possible but we have to consider about the quality of the grass I think. A stadium or I should say the pitch needs rest for the next match to keep the least quality,don't you think so?

They can always bring in the Zamboni machine to spruce up the grass. No; I think it's to milk the most from the fans as they move around the country. It will be even worse in Russia...

I UNDERSTAND that. But what I don't understand is why do they have to move them around in the prelim stages? Why NOT limit it to the top 8 cities???

There are stadiums that are only used in the group stage, for the play-off games only the biggest ones are normally used. Back in the day each group was assigned two host cities with each seeded team playing normally every one of their group matches in the same city, and the rest of that group's matches were in that other city. Sometimes the seeded team had a path to very far in the tournament at their "own" ground, like with Brazil in Mexico '70 when they played all their matches at Jalisco Guadalajara. Brazil would have repeated that feat had they not been eliminated in the QF's. In USA 1994 two groups were given three stadiums to share between them with the seeded teams playing two consecutive matches at the same stadium and one in another place.

With the enlargement of the tournament to 32 teams in 1998 it was decided that everyone should rotate around the country and it has remained so since even though there were suggestions that some kind of geographical blocks should be created to ease the traveling. That was however considered unfair, because only one part of the country could see Brazil playing so the host team will travel from south to northeast and to center between their three first round games.

Interestingly in the European Championships the seeded teams often have still enjoyed the benefit of having a first round "home" even in the latest tournaments.

* I meant to say Brazil would have repeated that feat of playing every match in Jalisco except the final had they not been eliminated in the QF's also in Mexico 1986.

They can always bring in the Zamboni machine to spruce up the grass. No; I think it's to milk the most from the fans as they move around the country. It will be even worse in Russia...

:lol: But not so easy matter for football.Not only about the grass but have to think about the soil under the leaves as well ;) .

Says the guy whose coach said they'll be world champions.

BTW In which media did you found that headline?

Ole, it was an article. Don't worry. I know how passionate are Argentine sport news people. It's funny and somehow it's part of the thing

Why do they move 'em around the country too much? That scheduling....just for the sake of sharing the games amongst 12 cities....is crazy. Thank god, I'm not much of a football fan to even want to follow my team like that. What would a No. American-Euro-Japanese fan spend to follow his team around in the prelims? At least US$4,500???

Or is the scheduling so that the 4 teams do not just sit and fester in one city if the original Groups were assigned to just one city?

Who has a better train system? Brazil or Russia??

No train system in Brazil. The distance from Porto Alegre to Manaus would require a 2-day long train trip.

The goal of spreading the matches is to promote tourism. This is very polemic, I agree, but at same time, it's special to see different parts of a very multi cultural country.

The modern World Cup did not assign groups to one city only... It would be impossible because FIFA requires a certain number of days of rest for each stadium before a new match...

The best system, IMO, was used in 1994 WC, each group had only 3 stadiums to travel and each team would play twice in a certain stadium.. Still, during the tournament, after knock-outs Brazil played in Dallas, Los Angeles, Detroit........

I talk a lot about the World Cup in the USA, because, it was my favorite WC of all time about everything.

And because USA is as big as Brazil, the tournament was very spread out (LA and Boston were host cities) and it was played in American summer. Brazil played against Netherlands in a sunshiny Dallas, at 2pm!!!!! And nobody died or complained...

With the enlargement of the tournament to 32 teams in 1998 it was decided that everyone should rotate around the country and it has remained so since even though there were suggestions that some kind of geographical blocks should be created to ease the traveling. That was however considered unfair, because only one part of the country could see Brazil playing so the host team will travel from south to northeast and to center between their three first round games.

Thanks for the explanation, Reindeer. The above paragraph was the argument that made the strongest and most sense to me.

I'm paying 3000 for two games in Recife and Fortezela

Does that amount include spending for your 'down time' between games? So you'll be down in Brazil for like (including the long travel days) like a week?

Ole, it was an article. Don't worry. I know how passionate are Argentine sport news people. It's funny and somehow it's part of the thing

oh, I think I know which one. The one that says "De semis en adelante" ("from semis onwards"), it means the possibility of avoiding Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Brazil until semis, but not that we'll for sure reach there.

Thanks for the explanation, Reindeer. The above paragraph was the argument that made the strongest and most sense to me.

Like Danny explained, another reason is the amount of stadiums needed in a modern 32 team World Cup if every group was assigned two stadiums. Even if the USA 94 system of using three stadiums for two groups was used, there would be a minimum amount of 12 sites needed. While Brazil and Germany decided to use 12 stadiums, South Africa had fewer. I believe the minimum number required by FIFA is 8 or 9. There is a limit to the use that a pitch can handle during a month long tournament.

While moving around between every match is not that difficult in countries like France, Germany or Japan, it can be quite complicated in South Africa, not to mention Brazil and Russia.

Does that amount include spending for your 'down time' between games? So you'll be down in Brazil for like (including the long travel days) like a week?

Staying in Recife, 10 days. That is just flight, hotel, flight to Fortazela and tickets to the two games.

Hmm..$4000USD sounds too much.Not so many people watch all matches,I guess.

OMG I calculated wrong,I thought 4000,000 in JPY.So $4000USD is not big amount. Some travel agencies in my country just announced after the draw that they organized tours in Brazil.Air tickets of out and return + 2 matches of group stage costs $7700(USD);including hotel reservations,air tickets to stadium to stadium etc.Not including WC tickets and tourist visa. I can't go there,@faster enjoy your stay and WC in Brazil to the max! ;)

Following the Final Draw of the 2014 FIFA World Cup™, FIFA has now confirmed the match schedule for the 64 matches of next year’s carnival of football. The final match schedule is now available on FIFA.com.

In total, only seven matches have been adjusted following the draw to allow later kick-off times in the hottest venues - in particular, for three matches in Manaus and one in Recife. The following games' kick-off times have been adjusted (all times stated are local):

Saturday 14 June
Côte d'Ivoire-Japan, 22:00 (from 19:00) in Recife
England-Italy, 18:00 (from 21:00) in Manaus (similar conditions as at 21:00)

Wednesday 18 June
Cameroon-Croatia, 18:00 (from 15:00) in Manaus
Spain-Chile, 16:00 (from 19:00) in Rio de Janeiro

Sunday 22 June
USA-Portugal, 18:00 (from 15:00) in Manaus
Belgium-Russia, 13:00 (from 19:00) in Rio de Janeiro
Korea Republic-Algeria, 16:00 (from 13:00) in Porto Alegre

FIFA

So my guess of US$4,000 (to follow the first 3 prelims) is NOT unrealistic. And if you want to stay the whole month and follow you team to the finals for 5 weeks, that could go as high as US$10,000 -- which you could get back if you scalped your tix to the finals. ;)

Yes,not unrealistic. I for now hope our team aim best 16 finishing in 3rd place. 5 weeks for holidays!....it would be really fantastic if I could be off duty such a long time!

England vs Italy starts at 18:00!!FIFA is bullying those teams! :angry:

It was the teams who have asked FIFA to change this so fans could watch the match in Europe. 21h here I think is 02h in Europe. As FIFA said, the weather conditions will not be so different.

Just would remind that this is the southern hemisphere, where we will be in WINTER during the month of june. Some cities are cold and others are hot but no more than some cities in the United States or Europe in the summer where football matches take place normally. So do not worry about the weather. Here is not Qatar, will be perfect for football

It was the teams who have asked FIFA to change this so fans could watch the match in Europe.

No, it was the broadcasters who forced the change. Hodgson said before it happened he'd rather it was kept as it is.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/07/england-italy-world-cup-2014

It means I won't have to stay up as late which is good, but it wasn't the teams who asked for this change, it was the BBC and ITV.

It was one of the positives of the draw for me. If Germany had been drawn into the south of Brazil where I've already been, I would have been less likely to go. Wanted them to play in Manaus though.

Insanely jealous here. A World Cup in Brazil is a once in a lifetime experience. The next two won't come anywhere near this.

The iranians could not see the draw because of censorship to Fernanda Lima dress.

fernandalima_sorteio_afp_95.jpg

Source in portuguese: http://globoesporte.globo.com/boleirama/noticia/2013/12/decote-de-fernanda-lima-veta-transmissao-do-sorteio-da-copa-no-ira.html

What about the 2006 and 2010 draw? B)

_46854843_draw_getty226.jpgarticleInline.jpg
becks_wideweb__470x321,0.jpg

Archived