Short Track

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fox please explain how the Americans qualified 3 female in each distance without qualifying a relay team and how does Korea only have two spots in the 500m and 1000m?

What the hell happened during the world cup?

USA got dq'd in the relay so they didn't qualify one. The max a country can have 3 per gender without qualifying a relay.

Korea in the 500m and 1000m had a dq so they didn't get any ranking points for that.

Technically its a penalty now, not a DQ. There was actually two Canadians out in the prelims of the 1000m, one because of penalty and the other because of a fall (though, as noted, Canada has a full quota anyway).

The US failed to qualify a relay on the women's side because of a penalty in the preliminaries of the second world cup, to the benefit of Hungary. Hungary failed to qualify a men's relay because of a yellow card (essentially like the old DQ - not only does it not rank you for the heat it also doesn't rank you for the entire competition) in the semi-finals. Had they gotten a penalty rather than a yellow card they would have qualified instead of Kazakhstan.

Also one of the American men took a really, really nasty fall in the 1500m in Kolomna (same race that took out Charles Hamelin for the day).

The Korean men have been looking very beatable this season.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Wang Meng is out with a broken ankle. That's a huge disappointment for the Chinese team.

Wow that's a big blow for the short track programme. Hadn't heard anything about it.

Btw anyone got any ideas on a good website which follows short track? One of my favourite sports but gets no mainstream coverage.

Wow that's a big blow for the short track programme. Hadn't heard anything about it.

Btw anyone got any ideas on a good website which follows short track? One of my favourite sports but gets no mainstream coverage.

Definitely a big blow for China. Her absence could pave the way to Italy's Fontana winning multiple medals and perhaps becoming a big star in the games.

Definitely a big blow for China. Her absence could pave the way to Italy's Fontana winning multiple medals and perhaps becoming a big star in the games.

Behind Meng its pretty even, so its a bit of a crapshoot now. South Korea is very strong in the 1000 and 1500 and Elise Cristie of Great Britain is probably the strongest European skater outside of the 500.

Its just generally a big blow to China's medal tally, but it isn't clear yet who will benefit.

I think instead of probably 1 or 2 medals on the women's side now, that 2 or 3 is likely. Short track is really going to have to make up for the lose of long track medals. We won 9 medals in speed skating last time. Canada could win no medals in long track this time around. World Cup season has been horrible for Canada.

I think instead of probably 1 or 2 medals on the women's side now, that 2 or 3 is likely. Short track is really going to have to make up for the lose of long track medals. We won 9 medals in speed skating last time. Canada could win no medals in long track this time around. World Cup season has been horrible for Canada.

Pretty much the opposite for the United States. U.S. has a strong long track team that could produce several medals but a seriously depleted Short-Track team with the retirement of Ohno and scandals that have ridden the U.S. Short Track program since 2010.

I hope Viktor Ahn cleans it up so he can stick it to the Korea Skating Union. The KSU needs to smarten up.

I don't I would rather Olivier Jean, Charles Hamelin, Michael Gilday and Charle Cournoyer clean up.

I tend to side with the KSU, Ahn tried to be bigger than the team.

Noh Jin-Kyu has cancer as well! :(

Talk about being able to catch a break :/

Hopefully he fully recovers and is able to compete in Pyeongchang, though apparently this sort of tumour often requires amputation (which would end his career). They discovered the tumour due to him having a broken elbow That injury might have saved his life.

• 2 weeks later...

so basically if you ever let quebec become independent, you wouldn't have a short track team.

Quebec becoming independent would be damaging to Canadian Olympic performance. But a reality I doubt we'll ever face. I cannot even think of a Quebecois athlete that was openly a separatist.

Quebec becoming independent would be damaging to Canadian Olympic performance. But a reality I doubt we'll ever face. I cannot even think of a Quebecois athlete that was openly a separatist.

off topic, would quebeckers be given a choice do you think of who to compete for? would you create a "unified team" a la the USSR? or slowly distance yourselves over time?

off topic, would quebeckers be given a choice do you think of who to compete for? would you create a "unified team" a la the USSR? or slowly distance yourselves over time?

They would probably establish their own Olympic committee ASAP as per recent precedent (i.e. Montenegro).

Its hard to say about choice because we don't know how Quebec citizenship would work and whether or not Quebecers would keep Canadian citizenship.

so basically if you ever let quebec become independent, you wouldn't have a short track team.

We'd have 30% of a short track team :P

Archived