Which 4 cities do u think will make the 2022 Short List?

baron-pierreIV

Which will be the 2022 Finalist cities?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 4 that u think will make the Short List.

• Almaty
    • Beijing-Yankeejoe
    • Krakow-Jasna
    • Lviv
    • Oslo-Kvitjfell
    • Stockholm-Are

I can't see 2022 costing anyone less than 8 billion.

It's unbelievable to think that we're now talking about the Winter Games costing $8-10 billion on a regular basis. $8-10 billion is about what the Greeks spent on the Athens Games in 2004. There's no way that the smaller European countries that might be interested in hosting the Winter Games are going to be able to afford that.

^^ Which is silly given that they have most of the venues in place, have proven that Oslo-Lillehammer is not a problem and could actually use a new major arena.

Is that the best allocation and use of their money and resources though? Do they want to take that risk or is their a better investment to be made?

Again, we here on GB need to be not as surprised when cities and countries aren't jumping at the chance to host an Olympics just because we can put together a nice looking venue plan.

I think the solution to this whole issue is easy. Thomas Bach needs to step up and explain that Sochi's spending was an anomaly, and meet the requests that Oslo has laid out for them. The Oslo requests like the IOC paying their own hotel fees and the IOC promising not to add any more sports after the election seem pretty darn reasonable to me. The IOC needs to consider using these as rules for all bidding cities.

If there is dialogue between the IOC and the general public, people who are apprehensive about the spending and the Olympic movement in general will feel more comfortable.

The IOC really is digging their own grave by refusing to listen to Oslo's requests and doing nothing about the fears amongst the public that the Olympics have become too expensive. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the IOC are some of the most unqualified, self-serving individuals in the world. The refusal to address this current issue shows how ignorant they are to current global trends and the IOC's refusal to adapt to the changing world. I think Bach is a pussy, for a lack of a better term. He has done nothing to improve the public image of the IOC, and if anything, he's hindered it. There is such a simple solution to this problem which makes it so damn frustrating to watch this group of idiots ruin something that everyone on this site cherishes.

• Like 4

The thing is...

IOC, like all Olympic Clients except people staying at the Olympic Village, is paying its own accommodation bill.

No sport can be added later than 7 years prior to the Games. Discipline events can be added up to 3 years to the Games but in consultation with OCOG and with potential financial compensation

IOC does encourage use of temporary venues when no legacy needs are identified.

• Like 1

The thing is...

IOC, like all Olympic Clients except people staying at the Olympic Village, is paying its own accommodation bill.

No sport can be added later than 7 years prior to the Games. Discipline events can be added up to 3 years to the Games but in consultation with OCOG and with potential financial compensation

IOC does encourage use of temporary venues when no legacy needs are identified.

Then the IOC should have no qualms about reasurring the Norwegians. To my knowledge that has not happened yet.

The cost is the cancer of the games. Many who don't care about the Olympics are now speaking up and just saying "we don't want the Olympics" So for an event that claims to be the biggest event in the world. Many don't want and many more don't care for it. But does the IOC need the US to save the games again (LA 1984) and we could see 1979 again. The Olympic world is very different today than yesteryear. The IOC fail many and I do mean many, many times to face this issue (or crises). This is only the beginning.

I find the 'Olympics are too expensive' argument a little funny though, as an Olympic Games cost the same as a few jet fighters .... and every advanced economy has a multi billion, in the US case $400billion + defense budget.

It is just a case of national priorities.

Defending your nation trends to be a slightly higher priority than hosting a 2 1/2 week long sports festival that most citizens get little too any benefit from. So I'd call those relatively smart priorities

• Like 2

I find the 'Olympics are too expensive' argument a little funny though, as an Olympic Games cost the same as a few jet fighters .... and every advanced economy has a multi billion, in the US case $400billion + defense budget.

It is just a case of national priorities.

Actually for 50 billion you could buy 500 fighter jets or 10 aircraft carriers or 1 space station or send 20 robots to Mars.

Golf was added less than seven years before the start of Rio 2016

More importantly, it was added *after* cities committed to bid.

It's crap. And when people defend it, it just alienates people from the Olympics even more.

You are confusing stating facts and defending the IOC.

Golf was added at the same Session as the one where Rio was elected. All four 2016 bid cities were consulted during the bid process about the possibility for them to host Rugby and Golf all agreed proposing to use existing venues. Rio's mayor chose to build a new golf course for the Games as he wanted to have a public golf course as a legacy for Rio's population rather than the private one already existing.

I am not defending the IOC as indeed they have a lot of things to fix. For example why they didn't address the Norwegian requests is beyond me. Why they don't make the Technical Manuals public is beyond me.

Why they are incapable of communicating about the cost of the Games in a clear and transparent way is beyond me.

• Like 3

Rio's mayor chose to build a new golf course for the Games as he wanted to have a public golf course as a legacy for Rio's population rather than the private one already existing.

And yet here's another example of Brazil's overreach. While this may seem like a good idea on the surface, how many "average" Brazilans play golf? Was this really necessary as part of a "legacy"? And I'm sure this isn't the only example of building when not really necessary.

IDK, but it's starting to become quite apparent that Brazil itself brought on many of their own problems with the Olympics (& World Cup). And then others try to reflect that on the eligibility of other new countries whether or not they should get the Olympics. Sounds like misrepresentation, to say the least.

• Like 2

I am not defending the IOC as indeed they have a lot of things to fix. For example why they didn't address the Norwegian requests is beyond me. Why they don't make the Technical Manuals public is beyond me.

Why they are incapable of communicating about the cost of the Games in a clear and transparent way is beyond me.

Spot on! Their huge fail at the moment is their totally ineffective, or non-existent, communications.

I don’t subscribe to the theory they’re a bunch of old, blind fools – at the top at least. The executive in Lausanne of course will know all too well the problems they’re facing – I’d assume the meetings in the boardroom and Bach’s offices would have been getting even testier since the Krakow result last week, and their press office will be showing them all the headlines of the week: Bids for Olympic games declining due to high cost: Is hosting worth it?; CBS- Has Russia “destroyed” the Winter Olympics?; A bridge too far: Are the Olympics becoming too costly to host? (the last from Russia even!). The thing is, Bach himself hasn’t helped any of this when the only public responses to this sort of thing from the IOC have been his “We have no problems, we’re not concerned” and tetchily trying to brush off all that pesky mounting criticisms as the usual anti-games cranks.

They need to get someone out there to do a bit of straight talking and directly address some of those criticisms and misinformation out there. In the old days they’d wheel Dick Pound out as the attack dog, but he’s getting on and seems more in the background these days. Coates might suit the job now – he did a good job on firing up a cracker under the Brazilians and he’s always been a savvy operator and good prosecutor when pushing the AOC’s agenda and viewpoint in the public and political sphere down here. But whoever, someone below Bach who can do some good candid interviews or a press conference or background briefing where they can tackle the criticisms head on. They do have a case they can sell, and while there are legitimate criticisms out there, there’s also a lot of uninformed assumptions, disinformation and hysteria being splashed out as well.

After directly acknowledging the Sochi elephant in the room, they should next be putting their global PR agency – is it still Hill & Knowlton? – to earning their retainer and start getting a bit more backgrounding and messaging out there on the positive legacies they can sell – the London and Vancouver stories – and outlining their case for the benefits the games and their surrounding investments can bring.

Then later this year at the Agenda 2020 this, if they can show some real concrete demonstration that they are paying attention and acknowledging concerns, they may start winning back some kudos again.

Alas, probably too late for this race. I think they’re stuck between a rock and a hard place on all the alternatives. Both Almaty or Beijing are exactly the type of hosts they’d wanna avoid right now. Yet even if Oslo lasts the distance and gets picked, I don’t think seven year of preparations there hounded by a large and activist opposition who’d probably love to see the games cancelled and IOC humiliated is looking appealing either. But, again, that need not happen I suppose if the IOC can get their communications right. Or start communicating at all. They won't get the Norwegians behind them if they don't.

• Like 1