Sign in to follow this  
baron-pierreIV

Which 4 cities do u think will make the 2022 Short List?

Which will be the 2022 Finalist cities?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 4 that u think will make the Short List.

• Almaty
    • Beijing-Yankeejoe
    • Krakow-Jasna
    • Lviv
    • Oslo-Kvitjfell
    • Stockholm-Are

If things go to **** (like things appear) then they will host. They have money, they have support, they have infrastructure. Their always on time and appear to be a reliable partner for the movement. We all say we want the games to 'go back to basics', whats more basic then the world gathering in a small country to celebrate humanity?

Because there's this thing called the Olympic movement. Still not sure exactly what that is, but the point of having the Olympics is to further that movement. Does holding a Winter Olympics in Kazakhstan accomplish that goal? It's the same question we ask with the 2022 World Cup.. what does FIFA expect to get out of a World Cup held in Qatar? So to Stefan's point.. how does that "celebration" benefit the Olympic movement? For all we've talked about the size of Norway and how they had a Games relatively recently, at least there I could see some contribution to the Olympic movement. Even with Sochi, if that becomes a Winter resort destination that benefits Winter sport, then at least it has accomplished something. I don't see that happening with Kazakhstan. They may have venues and other infrastructure to make them seem appealing on the surface, but I don't see the IOC wanting to put a biennial element in a relatively small and obscure country that it's unlikely they will gain much of any benefit from.

They have money, they have support, they have infrastructure. Their always on time and appear to be a reliable partner for the movement. We all say we want the games to 'go back to basics', whats more basic then the world gathering in a small country to celebrate humanity?

How exactly do you know that a country without free press or speech has support?? Also note that Kazakhstan is neither a small country, nor a place where you go to celebrate humanity.

I don't understand this bickering. The race for 2022 is currently a shambles. None of the options is ideal -- especially if Oslo drops. Even Oslo wouldn't have been my first choice. If the IOC is desperate, they will do whatever they have to do. Most of this conversation about Almaty is moot unless Beijing and Almaty are the only two bids left standing. Anything can happen. Where's the value in debating such unknowns so vigorously? The plot will unfold on its own.

If some people want to 'bicker' & debate "vigorously" on something, let them. Not the first time on these boards, & surely won't be the last. You don't have to participate if you find it moot, & I find Q&Z's views not at all far off the mark on this one. We know enough about the 2022 race to form our own opinions here.

If some people want to 'bicker' & debate "vigorously" on something, let them. Not the first time on these boards, & surely won't be the last. You don't have to participate if you find it moot, & I find Q&Z's views not at all far off the mark on this one. We know enough about the 2022 race to form our own opinions here.

I'm not prohibiting anything. I'm not in a position to. I just don't understand the intensity of the debate regarding a situation that may never arise.

I don't understand this bickering. The race for 2022 is currently a shambles. None of the options is ideal -- especially if Oslo drops. Even Oslo wouldn't have been my first choice. If the IOC is desperate, they will do whatever they have to do. Most of this conversation about Almaty is moot unless Beijing and Almaty are the only two bids left standing. Anything can happen. Where's the value in debating such unknowns so vigorously? The plot will unfold on its own.

I'm not prohibiting anything. I'm not in a position to. I just don't understand the intensity of the debate regarding a situation that may never arise.

Is that something new for this site? It's a forum about Olympic bids. Not exactly a lot of fresh material to work with. So some people are going to pick up on a potentially useless element of an Olympic bid and debate it intensely. That's what a place like this is for. It's not like any of us have a direct interest in the outcome of these votes, but we still talk about it anyway. Who cares. Yes, the plot will unfold. And as it unfolds, it's going to get discussed, whether there's value in that discussion or not. I don't see why that would be surprising, let alone on this site.

If the situation is a shamble is only the result of IOC bullshit in the past?! Since 15 years they have humiliated some good potential bid, the most of them were traditional countries like Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France, Sweden... And now neither of these want to bid again because they know than the race is cheated. These are the only one able to host WoG in good condition, without to spend some billions and without to piss of environment issues. But IOC doesn't care. IOC respects nothing, no rules, only money nothing else. And now they have only some fragile bid than nobody want excepted Norway. In the race you only one strong bid is Oslo, Norway is able to host great WoG, but of course CIO doesn't have the choice, Norway or a fail.

I remember in my city a majority of people wanted to host WoG, now nobody want to try again. It's ones of the places in the world to host WoG but IOC has decided it was like it was Indian or Cuba bid. When I saw Sotchi now i think is better to my city to stay far from WoG. It wouldn't have been like people expect : Too much problem not enough legacy.

Gosh, it seems we come back to the late 70s and beginning of the 80s. Why don't the IOC pick LA and Lake Placid again, so they get their "safe pair of hands" assured? This race is boring to me. Above all when one has an opinion to express and others just let you know one is in a big mistake for supporting certain candidate cities. zzzzzzzzzzzz

Interestingly the IOC has never actually had a disastrous Olympics. The after effects have been disastrous (Montreal, Athens, etc) but the games themselves have never gone badly unless you count Munich and Atlanta.

Unfortunately I think that is what it will take for the IOC to change. They don't seem to honestly care what happens to the host city in the long term, or even the number of bidders as long as they have one good bid such as Los Angeles in '32 and '84. Even if both Oslo and Krakow withdraw, they still have a choice between two dictatorships who are guaranteed to deliver the required venues and infrastructure with no chance of referendums or public protests causing trouble.

Interestingly the IOC has never actually had a disastrous Olympics. The after effects have been disastrous (Montreal, Athens, etc) but the games themselves have never gone badly unless you count Munich and Atlanta.

Unfortunately I think that is what it will take for the IOC to change. They don't seem to honestly care what happens to the host city in the long term, or even the number of bidders as long as they have one good bid such as Los Angeles in '32 and '84. Even if both Oslo and Krakow withdraw, they still have a choice between two dictatorships who are guaranteed to deliver the required venues and infrastructure with no chance of referendums or public protests causing trouble.

Agreed. That's why Bach is "not too worried." Beijing and Almaty are not desirable, but they're not disastrous.

The real question is whether this string of Asian Olympics will hurt the IOC financially due to the disenchantment of western investors. A drop in ratings will cause concern.

would Beijing really want 2022?

I remember in my city a majority of people wanted to host WoG, now nobody want to try again. It's ones of the places in the world to host WoG but IOC has decided it was like it was Indian or Cuba bid. When I saw Sotchi now i think is better to my city to stay far from WoG. It wouldn't have been like people expect : Too much problem not enough legacy.

i agree

I do believe that for Beijing it's just a good chance to get awarded considering the lack of bidding cities. Look Nanjing 2014, even when there is not so much interest in this new version of Olympics, they tried and beat Poznan. At this point, I think Poland could have got those childish games, but still went back to Asia in a row.

Agreed. That's why Bach is "not too worried." Beijing and Almaty are not desirable, but they're not disastrous.

The real question is whether this string of Asian Olympics will hurt the IOC financially due to the disenchantment of western investors. A drop in ratings will cause concern.

3 Asian Olympics Games in a row will be very good for the IOC with 4 billion people in Asia it will grow the Olympics Movement in a way to get new people interested in the games, Then come back to the West in 2024, 2026 and 2028 then go to the East again in 2030, 2032 and 2034 it will bring balance to the Olympics Movement and allow it to grown more.

3 Asian Olympics Games in a row will be very good for the IOC with 4 billion people in Asia it will grow the Olympics Movement in a way to get new people interested in the games, Then come back to the West in 2024, 2026 and 2028 then go to the East again in 2030, 2032 and 2034 it will bring balance to the Olympics Movement and allow it to grown more.

How does a Winter Olympics in China (after we'll have just had one in Korea) grow the Olympic movement to the 2.9 billion people in Asia who don't live in either China or Korea? What about the 2.5 billion people who live outside of Asia who will have gone 3 cycles without an Olympics?

It shouldn't be in 3s like that. Ideally they aren't on the same continent more than 2 cycles in a row. 3 in a row on the same continent including 2 Winters in a row is not a good thing. It means there's a paucity of interest from other countries/continents. Going to Asia in 2022 is probably not what they're looking for. If the first 2 Asian Olympics (2018 and 2020) aren't enough to grow the Olympic movement, is a 3rd really going to help? Particularly when it means that Europe will have been out of the picture for several consecutive cycles.

It's definitely not ideal, but I think it's survivable. Beggars can't be choosers. The IOC is very close to turning into a beggar where 2022 is concerned.

Anyway Europe is more or less history now, except maybe Germany. The future is Asia and the Pacific.

Good grief. Are you related, by chance, to a little embellishing troll that likes to roam around here saying that "Europe is over. Asia/pacific is the 21st century now". Cuz it sounds like ya are.

Really, the only real, significant rising power in Asia is China. Japan is stagnant & has been for quite some time. And India (along with the rest of Asia, for the most) still has a long way to go before we could say such bombastic things for sure.

• Like 2

Now that Krakow has withdrawn, I believe that either all 4 or 2 Cities will become Candidate Cities. If it's 2 Cities, then it will be Oslo VS Beijing and bye bye Almaty and Lviv. I know that the Almaty supporters will disagree, but I still can't see the IOC eliminating just 1 City. Oslo is still the Favourite, Beijing is the IOC's Insurance Policy, Almaty has no chance IMO. Agreed, Beijing is the most stable Bid, but because Oslo hasn't withdrawn yet, Oslo is still the Favourite. If Oslo withdraws, I think the IOC will go with the safer option of Beijing.

This is starting to get ridiculous... Are we seriously going to see Beijing Vs Almaty? Can't believe that this is a realistic prospect. Very disappointing...

• Like 1

Now that Krakow has withdrawn, I believe that either all 4 or 2 Cities will become Candidate Cities. If it's 2 Cities, then it will be Oslo VS Beijing and bye bye Almaty and Lviv. I know that the Almaty supporters will disagree, but I still can't see the IOC eliminating just 1 City. Oslo is still the Favourite, Beijing is the IOC's Insurance Policy, Almaty has no chance IMO. Agreed, Beijing is the most stable Bid, but because Oslo hasn't withdrawn yet, Oslo is still the Favourite. If Oslo withdraws, I think the IOC will go with the safer option of Beijing.

In the Evaluation Commission reports, a lot of emphasis is put on the political support given to a bid - it's quite a big deal. As such, I wouldn't say Oslo are favourites at this stage. That doesn't mean things can't change, though.

I really think now if Beijing or Almaty host the games the IOC will surely give 2024 or maybe even 2026 or Both to USA to give the Olympic Movement new life