Which 4 cities do u think will make the 2022 Short List?

baron-pierreIV

Which will be the 2022 Finalist cities?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 4 that u think will make the Short List.

• Almaty
    • Beijing-Yankeejoe
    • Krakow-Jasna
    • Lviv
    • Oslo-Kvitjfell
    • Stockholm-Are

Now, it appears really idiotic for the USOC to pass up a Winter 2022 bid in favor of a quixotic Summer 2024 bid. A US 2022 bid would've been a total shoo-in.

Always wiser in hindsight...

USOC - and the IOC - probably did not expect all the big players (Switzerland, Germany, to some extent Sweden and now seemingly Norway as well) to fall by the wayside.

13 months ago it was Munich's to lose, with an outside chance for Oslo or St Moritz/Davos, besides, the 2020 race might have ended with Istanbul/Europe winning, pretty much excluding Europe for 2024.

Well, I disagree with the sentiment, but 10 points for the correct spelling of "shoo-in."

I KNOW the difference. And the US would still get a summer w/in the next 3 cycles regardless of whether the US got Winter 2022 or not. As a matter of fact, the USOC putting an unsure Summer bid before a certain 2022 hosting just threw off the WHOLE hosting cycles for everyone as well.

Except the US didn't necessary have a 2022 city to nominate.

Oh, 3 candidates are raring to go (denver, SLC and Reno), given a few months' notice. No; it was the unwise decision of the USOC Board of Directors.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The way Europe is going we could see two Olympics and Paralympics Games in the USA in a row Los Angeles California Summer 2024 and Reno Nevada Winter 2026, Before that either Beijing China or Almaty Kazakhstan 2022 Winter Games 3rd in a row for Asia after PyeongChang South Korea 2018 and Tokyo Japan 2020. They were just vote short from making that happened 1996 Atlanta and 1998 with Salt Lake City.

I KNOW the difference. And the US would still get a summer w/in the next 3 cycles regardless of whether the US got Winter 2022 or not. As a matter of fact, the USOC putting an unsure Summer bid before a certain 2022 hosting just threw off the WHOLE hosting cycles for everyone as well.

I congratulated you on knowing about shoo-in (and hoped others would take note).

As for the rest of your claims, we have to agree to disagree. Yes, the US probably could've landed 2022. (Although perhaps the US' presence in the race would've discouraged others from dropping out and made the whole pursuit seem more viable.) However there is NO WAY the IOC is going to give the US 2 Olympics within 10 years. That era is past and the IOC has zero desire to revisit it. That is where you and I will NEVER agree.

An American 2022 would've postponed Summer Games on home soil at least twenty years.

I still can't see the prospect of America getting the Winter Olympics in 2022 if they Bid. I think a Summer Olympics will be in America before a Winter Olympics. Probably Los Angeles 2032?

Oh, 3 candidates are raring to go (denver, SLC and Reno), given a few months' notice. No; it was the unwise decision of the USOC Board of Directors.

You had a couple guys in each of those places talking about it. Prehapse a bit mroe in Denver and SLC. But you didn't have full blown candidates needing just a few months to finalize plans.

Even if you got to the plan stage, even if we nominated a city, who is to say that city wouldn't have backed out by now? What makes you think US cities wouldn't have the same groundsweel of un-support we are seeing in Europe.

You had a couple guys in each of those places talking about it. Prehapse a bit mroe in Denver and SLC. But you didn't have full blown candidates needing just a few months to finalize plans.

Even if you got to the plan stage, even if we nominated a city, who is to say that city wouldn't have backed out by now? What makes you think US cities wouldn't have the same groundsweel of un-support we are seeing in Europe.

We have done it well the last 3x. We have the winning formula and the US still has the most economic clout over the Olympic product.

Well, Lake Placid 1980 lost money for New York state. I saw Blackmun added to that group.

We were not discussing profits. We were discussing whether or not a democracy could execute all the required preparations because Rio is struggling. The likes of China and Russia can guarantee delivery, but at what cost?

Lake Placid lost some money, but they delivered all the required elements without incident. Most Olympics result in losses.

Lake Placid lost some money, but they delivered all the required elements without incident. Most Olympics result in losses.

But I qualified my earlier statement in that the next 3 after that ended up in the plus side of the ledger, thus costing the taxpayers 0 $$; thus making it very doable for any US host city.

Also, I might add that WC 1994 ended up making like $40 mil when the books were finally closed for that.

The U.S. isn't jumping in though given how the race has shaped up, a U.S. city would be the near the front of the pack, if not leading it. While I've always thought Denver has no shot given their history, if you were to tell me the field would include Beijing, Almaty, Krakow, and a wobbling Oslo bid, I'd be curious to see how the Mile High City would fair.

As the race looks now, Krakow, Beijing, Oslo, and Almaty will all be shortlisted, but by the fall it will be down to Almaty, Krakow, and Beijing. I don't see Oslo staying in race when polls consistently show opposition at close to 60%.

But I qualified my earlier statement in that the next 3 after that ended up in the plus side of the ledger, thus costing the taxpayers 0 $$; thus making it very doable for any US host city.

Baron, you've been corrected on this many, many times. Just because the organizing committe made a profit, that doesn't mean the game didn't cost taxpayers any money. Hell, the Sochi orgainizing committee turned a profit.

There were substantial government bailouts for the 2002 games. It's absurd to think future games won't cost taxpayers anything.

Baron, you've been corrected on this many, many times. Just because the organizing committe made a profit, that doesn't mean the game didn't cost taxpayers any money. Hell, the Sochi orgainizing committee turned a profit.

There were substantial government bailouts for the 2002 games. It's absurd to think future games won't cost taxpayers anything.

The gov't helps out in federal highways, security and such. That's just how that ball of wax rolls; and like interstates have to be covered by the Feds anyway. You see the glass half-empty. I see it half-full. As for Sochi, you think I'm buying that? Please...

Federal taxpayers are still taxpayers. I don't see any way around that. Beyond that, though, that doesn't cover the venue costs, which are usually funded (in the US) with statewide or countywide sales tax increases.

Even LA 84, which used only existing venues IIRC, cost taxpayers 75 million in 1984 dollars. And that's not including opportunity costs and the displacement effect of holding the games. I would honestly be surprised if any city in Olympic history has actually made a net profit from hosting the games.

Federal taxpayers are still taxpayers. I don't see any way around that. Beyond that, though, that doesn't cover the venue costs, which are usually funded (in the US) with statewide or countywide sales tax increases.

Even LA 84, which used only existing venues IIRC, cost taxpayers 75 million in 1984 dollars. And that's not including opportunity costs and the displacement effect of holding the games. I would honestly be surprised if any city in Olympic history has actually made a net profit from hosting the games.

The 1932 Games were funded with a $1 million bond which was paid off in a year. Those were the first modern Olympic Games to finish in the black.

There were no financial reports or studies done for the Olympics of that era. And the reported profits of 1932 were based on the actual Olympics themselves rather than the host city as a whole. I know you've said you don't care about the distinction, Baron, but it sure as heck ought to matter to prospective host cities.

OT: It's amusing to note that LA won in 1932 when it ran unopposed; just like in 1984.

I just wonder how much affect there will be to the shortlist numbers if Lviv withdraws. As it's standing, I believe Lviv and Almaty will be eliminated. If there are only 4 left, will Almaty be eliminated on their own? Will Almaty AND Beijing both be eliminated? Will all 4 become Candidate Cities?

Surely Stockholm/Are 2022 should be removed from the Poll in this thread?

Once a poll's been started, and it has votes in it, it can't be edited. Why do we ned to edit it anyway? In a few months it will be time to start the poll: "Which one of these shortlisted cities will win? Who do you ant to win?".

I just wonder how much affect there will be to the shortlist numbers if Lviv withdraws. As it's standing, I believe Lviv and Almaty will be eliminated. If there are only 4 left, will Almaty be eliminated on their own? Will Almaty AND Beijing both be eliminated? Will all 4 become Candidate Cities?

With the dismal way the 2022 race is/has unravelling/unravelled, especially now with Oslo losing even more public support, & also newly seemingly with Krakow, it's starting to look like all four will be put forward (regardless of what Lviv does or doesn't do). At this dire point now, the IOC can't afford to cut anyone, even Almaty.

Once a poll's been started, and it has votes in it, it can't be edited. Why do we ned to edit it anyway? In a few months it will be time to start the poll: "Which one of these shortlisted cities will win? Who do you ant to win?".

Our dear Tony; can't even wait until letting the chips fall where they may...since the IOC may just end up with their four candidates by July. I just wonder how long Tony can keep up his idiotic act???

The way things are going there will be only two cities still in the race by July Almaty Kazakhstan and Beijing China, Oslo Norway looks like to be pulling out and Krakow is on the same boat and the Lviv is on hold now. Almaty Kazakhstan would be good to stop the sky rocketing cost of the games will only cost $5 Billion compared to the Beijing games, Almaty will take the crown now as the host city for the 2022 Winter Games it is way too soon for Beijing to host the games and the IOC would prefer Harbin to host the Winter Games in China.

The way things are going there will be only two cities still in the race by July Almaty Kazakhstan and Beijing China, Oslo Norway looks like to be pulling out and Krakow is on the same boat and the Lviv is on hold now. Almaty Kazakhstan would be good to stop the sky rocketing cost of the games will only cost $5 Billion compared to the Beijing games, Almaty will take the crown now as the host city for the 2022 Winter Games it is way too soon for Beijing to host the games and the IOC would prefer Harbin to host the Winter Games in China.

So you're swinging back to Almaty again after a couple of weeks claiming Beijing will get it...

And suuuuuuure...5 billion...Santa Claus probably does exist as well in your world.

• Like 1