Which 4 cities do u think will make the 2022 Short List?

baron-pierreIV

Which will be the 2022 Finalist cities?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 4 that u think will make the Short List.

• Almaty
    • Beijing-Yankeejoe
    • Krakow-Jasna
    • Lviv
    • Oslo-Kvitjfell
    • Stockholm-Are

Putin have no excuses to trying take over the western ukraine and he is not crazy as western media tries to paint him

Yeah that's why his best friend on Russia today threatened to turn America into, "Radioactive dust", Sounds like Putin is trying to start the Soviet Empire again.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the Applicant Files, IMO Oslo is still the strongest. In this order of strongest first and weakest last in order - Oslo 2022, Krakow 2022, Almaty 2022, Beijing 2022 and Lviv 2022.

If you put aside the geopolitical aspects and economic aspects, my favorite venue concept is Almaty. The Games would be very compact. On the other side, the Beijing concept is the kind of bid I hope will never get selected, because this is a direction where I would not like the Olympic Games to go. For me Beijing is nightmarish. Krakow and Lviv look like twin concepts. Even the orientation of the site network is the same. Lviv is like Sochi, everything would have to be built from scratch except the stadium. I am not too much impressed by Oslo, why go again to Norway for a concept which is not as good as Lillehammer 94 ? Right now, if I had to vote I would pick Krakow : feasible concept, safe, but going to a new place, Poland.

• 2 weeks later...

If you put aside the geopolitical aspects and economic aspects, my favorite venue concept is Almaty. The Games would be very compact. On the other side, the Beijing concept is the kind of bid I hope will never get selected, because this is a direction where I would not like the Olympic Games to go. For me Beijing is nightmarish. Krakow and Lviv look like twin concepts. Even the orientation of the site network is the same. Lviv is like Sochi, everything would have to be built from scratch except the stadium. I am not too much impressed by Oslo, why go again to Norway for a concept which is not as good as Lillehammer 94 ? Right now, if I had to vote I would pick Krakow : feasible concept, safe, but going to a new place, Poland.

You can't put aside Geopolitical aspects. The IOC is as I would say 'Obsessed' with Geopolitical factors, which is why I believe Beijing and Almaty are at a disadvantage.

"I'm not too worried" claims Bach over troubled race for the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/news/1019177-i-m-not-too-worried-claims-bach-over-troubled-race-for-2022-winter-olympics - Source: Inside the Games.

Wow, that was certainly a long and somewhat entertaining read (this whole thread in one morning). I'd agree with the general gist of it:

Possibly a three or four city short list which will very likely feature Oslo and Krakow, will likely feature either Beijing or Almaty or possibly even both - and will very unlikely feature Lviv.

I'm not even going to speculate what will happen round by round in Kuala Lumpur at this point as the Bid Books haven't been published and the general concepts and motivation for bidding.

Each bid has it's (fairly large) pitfalls as well as their strengths (I certainly don't think the IOC will entertain the idea of the Norwegian government trying to dictate the terms of the Host City contract). It is how strong the Oslo and Krakow bids present themselves as to whether three or four cities are short listed - if either of those to start to appear risky, it would be dangerous to only offer the option of one "insurance vote" in case of last minute withdrawals. I can see Beijing getting short listed but can't see them getting anywhere near hosting (in terms of past the first round in KL).

When you are choosing a candidate for a job, you don't necessarily choose the best person for the job, but the person who fits what you are looking for the closest. It's the same with the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The IOC have a technical template for the Games. They want a high quality Games that the athletes will exceed themselves in and enjoy, that the public will support and that are work well in a realistic organisational template. They don't want to travel for hundreds of miles for hours on end between venues, they don't want athletes, officials and visiting spectators to have to face complicated visa application procedures. The Games need to be safe and secure, the country hosting them need to be able to afford them and not turn around half way through preparing and say "sorry, we can't afford them any more".

But the IOC have other needs too. They are a sports organisation whose primary concern is the promotion of sport. The Games is by far their biggest product and promotional tool, so they want hosting cities to have a sporting legacy - in the city at the very minimum, preferably the country as a whole and ideally internationally as well. Granted, each host city has won due to a mix of numerous reasons, but London's winning message was the promise to "inspire a generation" to take up sport; Sochi claimed that hosting the Games was their only opportunity of building world class sports facilities for their athletes to train. They are also concerned about their brand: the more cities that end up with lots of white elephants, the fewer potential bidding cities are inclined to bid for the Games (therefore also possibly reducing the quality of the bids).

We are living in different days to some of the bidding patterns of the past and sometimes it can be misguided to simply rely on voting patterns of twenty years ago or more. In times of austerity, the public are scrutinising more and there are no alpine cities bidding for the Games this time, largely due to the public's dissatisfaction with the Host City agreement. Sochi was unique in that they had to build everything from scratch - the fact that they built every venue plus athletes villages, volunteer villages and 24,000 hotel rooms, all in seven years, is an astounding and huge testament to their project. But even though the budget ballooned, it was still on a budget and most certainly on a deadline. This meant that some things were unfinished or built at the last minute, some things were built to a low standard of quality. We all remember the bobsledder punching through his toilet door... and in my apartment, which I shared with nine other volunteers, the toilet door wouldn't close properly, so you had to sit on the toilet with one hand on the door handle to ensure no one would walk in on you.

I'm not saying it wasn't worth the - the incredible transformation of the city will be felt by generations to come. Some of it was maybe far fetched - there were a number of apartment blocks advertised for sale with signed "Investors wanted". With the lack of international flights, strict visa regimes, it would be naive to think people will suddenly start flocking to Sochi in years to come. Would the IOC entertain such an experimental bid in future? I doubt it...

So a much as I would like to speculate in great detail about who might win at this stage, it's just way too early to even think about... but as time goes on and we here more from the different bids, I'm sure we'll start to get an idea.

These are just applicant city questions, I'm referring to the Candidate City "Candidature Files" that are published after the short list... and all the presentations they do in the run up to going to Kuala Lumpur (such as at SportAccord, in Monaco if they're given time to do so, all the various meetings, forums and Congresses like the EOC, PASO, Sport For All etc.).. Only then will we learn the running "theme" of the bid and know where the momentum is heading towards...

I would disagree. Things can happen, bids can withdraw (eg Bern in 2010, Rome in 2020, Stockholm in 2022), or things can happen to impede on the bid (New York's Stadium debacle in the 2012 race, Annecy's change of leadership on the 2018 - one could argue that they both were not going to win anyway, but these incidents derailed any chances they had). With PyeongChang having 70% of venues already built at the time of the 2014 election, few expected Sochi to pull it off with no venues built (not to mention huge environmental concerns), but it was exactly that reason that they used to help them win the bid (I'm not naive enough to even suggest that Putin's appearance didn't have an effect on the win, but I think it's not so cut and dry to suggest it was all down to him). Some bids such as Lviv might be easy to rule out at this stage, but others might suprise.

Things can happen, bids can withdraw

They can, and they will, but it seems its not about Oslo ;-) Both Carpathian bids are murdered already. Lviv because of unstable sittuation, and Krakow cause of referendum and not reliable authorities. Oslo seems to have highway to be host.

I would disagree. Things can happen, bids can withdraw (eg Bern in 2010, Rome in 2020, Stockholm in 2022), or things can happen to impede on the bid (New York's Stadium debacle in the 2012 race, Annecy's change of leadership on the 2018 - one could argue that they both were not going to win anyway, but these incidents derailed any chances they had). With PyeongChang having 70% of venues already built at the time of the 2014 election, few expected Sochi to pull it off with no venues built (not to mention huge environmental concerns), but it was exactly that reason that they used to help them win the bid (I'm not naive enough to even suggest that Putin's appearance didn't have an effect on the win, but I think it's not so cut and dry to suggest it was all down to him). Some bids such as Lviv might be easy to rule out at this stage, but others might suprise.

I'm with the Colonel. This race just gets more and more like the 2020 Last Man Standing race. Three months ago, I couldn't see how the IOC could dare to choose anyone but Oslo. A month ago I started figuring Krakow was the the one to fancy. These days I'm starting to ponder what would be so bad about Almaty anyway?

This race just gets more and more like the 2020 Last Man Standing race. Three months ago, I couldn't see how the IOC could dare to choose anyone but Oslo. A month ago I started figuring Krakow was the the one to fancy. These days I'm starting to ponder what would be so bad about Almaty anyway?

And next month we could see something to really cast a cloud over Almaty. And they really wouldn't be the last ones standing either, since we still have Beijing left. Yeah, we all know Beijing has issues too, but the IOC already know that they could count on the Chinese if need be.

And on the opposite side of the spectrum, I'm still trying to ponder what would be that good about Almaty. And the only things I see are too many similarities to Sochi ie corruption, perception to close to Russia (whether right or wrong), no laws really for the LBGT community (since that was an issue with Sochi 2014) etc. all I see is a virtual dictator wanting to make a name for themselves like Putin wanted to.

I sure hope this Krakow referendum passes, cuz after Oslo, they're the only other bid that really intrigues me. I'm sure this was the last thing that the IOC wanted to hear to, & I'm sure that they're just running circles now in trying to keep the 2022 filed from shrinking anymore than it already has.

*field

Nursultan Nazabayev and Vladimir Putin are not dictators they are well liked by the people of Russia and Kazakhstan both have free and fair elections keep winning them we will be seeing more from both of them in the next 10 years, Kazakhstan is a safe place for the Olympics Games they got great links with the Western World too Almaty is the only compacted bid in the race and it will be a low cost games Almaty is a good option for the IOC to expand winter sports to a new region.

Nursultan Nazabayev and Vladimir Putin are not dictators they are well liked by the people of Russia and Kazakhstan both have free and fair elections keep winning them we will be seeing more from both of them in the next 10 years, Kazakhstan is a safe place for the Olympics Games they got great links with the Western World too Almaty is the only compacted bid in the race and it will be a low cost games Almaty is a good option for the IOC to expand winter sports to a new region.

Oh my...believe what you want.

Now, it appears really idiotic for the USOC to pass up a Winter 2022 bid in favor of a quixotic Summer 2024 bid. A US 2022 bid would've been a total shoo-in.

Well, I disagree with the sentiment, but 10 points for the correct spelling of "shoo-in."

Archived