Which 4 cities do u think will make the 2022 Short List?

baron-pierreIV

Which will be the 2022 Finalist cities?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 4 that u think will make the Short List.

• Almaty
    • Beijing-Yankeejoe
    • Krakow-Jasna
    • Lviv
    • Oslo-Kvitjfell
    • Stockholm-Are

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is Almaty a no go? Simply because it's too soon to Sochi? Well that's just one point, but it shouldn't be why they're not a no go.

They have the venues already in place, minus the sliding center and perhaps a major arena.

They have the experience and will prove themselves ready when they host the 2017 Universiade.

I don't see why they are a no go. They may not win, but they could come close. They will be shortlisted for sure. It's no where near Doha or Baku.

Yes, we can't wait until the shortlist, where Almaty is ranked as high or close to Oslo. Where there's no real faulting their bid, with mostly everything in place.

You're another one. I've already explained MANY times already, throughout these boards, why Almaty is a no-go. So why do you keep asking. And it's not "simply" bcuz it's too soon to Sochi, but Sochi is part of the bigger picture, especially with all the bad press that Sochi 2014 is getting. I'm sure the IOC is not amused.

And so what that they're gonna host the winter universaide. The only reason why they're even hosting that is bcuz they were the only bidder for that edition. Big deal. Hardly a qualifying attribute, especially when they still wouldn't have hosted that when the 2022 vote comes around.

But that's what it would take for the IOC to even somewhat consider them, they'd literally have to be one of two or maybe three applicants, with Oslo dropping out eventually, if they did. And even then, I'm sure the Executive Board would be hesitant. Their job is to protect the Olympic Brand. And after the fiasco that seems to be Sochi 2014, they'll wanna avoid even more headaches, regardless if they score "just as high" or higher than Oslo. All you have to do is look at Doha for precedence.

GCL seems to have finally woken up from the stubborn Almaty delusion. So why haven't you. I just think that at this point you're just enthralled at the aspect of diddling with a flashy bid book, as usual with all your arguments. The E.B. I'm sure could care less, if it means what's best for the Movement.

Baron wouldn't be so gung-ho about Krakow & the IOC "pushing the idea of Olympism farther & taking in more people into the Olympic fold than ever before" if Reno were in the 2022 picture. Such pragmatism.

Of course, each race has its own dynamics!! I mean that statement is on the level of a Tony E!!!

And yet you're trying to be baron Pierre the 4th. So you're saying there were another 2? :D

You Americans...don't understand lineage...even though only digital. :( Hopeless.

Of course, each race has its own dynamics!! I mean that statement is on the level of a Tony E!!!

You Americans...don't understand lineage...even though only digital. :( Hopeless.

Don't bring me into this argument and don't underestimate me to try and back yourself up.

Right, & how does spread-out, Sactahreno edge out everyone else when Lake Tahoe is also a "been there, done that". Especially in a country that also a very well, "been there, done that". Again, such pragmatism.

Right, & how does spread-out, Sactahreno edge out everyone else when Lake Tahoe is also a "been there, done that". Especially in a country that also a very well, "been there, done that". Again, such pragmatism.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT? U're just sounding so desperate when u don't have to. :(

You're another one. I've already explained MANY times already, throughout these boards, why Almaty is a no-go. So why do you keep asking. And it's not "simply" bcuz it's too soon to Sochi, but Sochi is part of the bigger picture, especially with all the bad press that Sochi 2014 is getting. I'm sure the IOC is not amused.

And so what that they're gonna host the winter universaide. The only reason why they're even hosting that is bcuz they were the only bidder for that edition. Big deal. Hardly a qualifying attribute, especially when they still wouldn't have hosted that when the 2022 vote comes around.

But that's what it would take for the IOC to even somewhat consider them, they'd literally have to be one of two or maybe three applicants, with Oslo dropping out eventually, if they did. And even then, I'm sure the Executive Board would be hesitant. Their job is to protect the Olympic Brand. And after the fiasco that seems to be Sochi 2014, they'll wanna avoid even more headaches, regardless if they score "just as high" or higher than Oslo. All you have to do is look at Doha for precedence.

GCL seems to have finally woken up from the stubborn Almaty delusion. So why haven't you. I just think that at this point you're just enthralled at the aspect of diddling with a flashy bid book, as usual with all your arguments. The E.B. I'm sure could care less, if it means what's best for the Movement.

Doha is different. They had numerous issues with the climate being something the IOC couldn't turn there back on.

If the IOC really cared about the Olympic brand they wouldn't consider sending a games to a country with the second lowest life expectancy in the world. (South Africa) Yet it seems they are already a favorite for 2024 before the bidding begins.

So if Oslo drops out you think a multi-national bid will win? On it's first try? Or a city that hosted the summer Olympics 7 years earlier? Or Lviv, need I explain all the disasters there?

I'm not saying Almaty will win, I just wouldn't be so sure to count them out before the race has even started it seems.

Almaty is nothing like Doha. Kazakhstan is one of the 4 big Asian countries for winter sports, along with Korea, Japan and China. It's a world power in bandy (fine, not an Olympic sport, but it shows they're a winter nation). They've got massive mountains. As mentioned by others, they've hosted the Asian Winter Games, and did really well. It's no Oslo, but they have some pluses going for them.

Doha is different. They had numerous issues with the climate being something the IOC couldn't turn there back on.

If the IOC really cared about the Olympic brand they wouldn't consider sending a games to a country with the second lowest life expectancy in the world. (South Africa) Yet it seems they are already a favorite for 2024 before the bidding begins.

So if Oslo drops out you think a multi-national bid will win? On it's first try? Or a city that hosted the summer Olympics 7 years earlier? Or Lviv, need I explain all the disasters there?

I'm not saying Almaty will win, I just wouldn't be so sure to count them out before the race has even started it seems.

The IOC said it was okay for Doha to submit their 2020 bid with the October dates. So don't even say that the IOC "couldn't turn their back on it" when they told the Qatari's that it was okay to do so in the first place. And yeah, exactly. They had many other issues than the dates. And that's the whole point. Just like Almaty. And don't drag South Africa into this. At least the IOC is talking about them. I don't hear them getting hot & heavy about Almaty like some of you here are. You were so sure that Doha was gonna make the 2020 short-list simply bcuz they had the cash to burn on the Games. Well, that didn't turn out to be.

If Oslo were to drop out, why couldn't it go to Krakow? Bi-national bid? The Olympic Charter already states that the IOC can make an exception to that in an extenuating circumstance (which this race is turning out to be) in a neighboring country. And Poland has bid before for 2006, so 2022 is not their "first try".

Beijing is the capital of a nation of over 1.3 Billion, & they haven't hosted the Winter Olympics either. Plus, they'd be a reliable back-up plan if the IOC is backed into a corner, which it seems that they are with each passing day with applicants dropping like flies.

Some of you guys here just make me laugh! Some of you are groaning & moaning about Russia's homophobic laws & how much corruption & mega expense has gone on with Sochi 2014, but yet wanna endorse a fricken place like Almaty! You think that would be better?! Who fricken cares that they have some big mountains or hosted the Winter Asian Games & that they're gonna host the winter universaide, which they only got since no one else bid for that edition. If the IOC was leery about Erdogan, I can't see them being that enthused about going to Kazackstan either. And who saying anything about Lviv. They're hardly on the radar, as far as I'm concerned.

The IOC said it was okay for Doha to submit their 2020 bid with the October dates. So don't even say that the IOC "couldn't turn their back on it" when they told the Qatari's that it was okay to do so in the first place. And yeah, exactly. They had many other issues than the dates. And that's the whole point. Just like Almaty. And don't drag South Africa into this. At least the IOC is talking about them. I don't hear them getting hot & heavy about Almaty like some of you here are. You were so sure that Doha was gonna make the 2020 short-list simply bcuz they had the cash to burn on the Games. Well, that didn't turn out to be.

If Oslo were to drop out, why couldn't it go to Krakow? Bi-national bid? The Olympic Charter already states that the IOC can make an exception to that in an extenuating circumstance (which this race is turning out to be) in a neighboring country. And Poland has bid before for 2006, so 2022 is not their "first try".

Beijing is the capital of a nation of over 1.3 Billion, & they haven't hosted the Winter Olympics either. Plus, they'd be a reliable back-up plan if the IOC is backed into a corner, which it seems that they are with each passing day with applicants dropping like flies.

Some of you guys here just make me laugh! Some of you are groaning & moaning about Russia's homophobic laws & how much corruption & mega expense has gone on with Sochi 2014, but yet wanna endorse a fricken place like Almaty! You think that would be better?! Who fricken cares that they have some big mountains or hosted the Winter Asian Games & that they're gonna host the winter universaide, which they only got since no one else bid for that edition. If the IOC was leery about Erdogan, I can't see them being that enthused about going to Kazackstan either. And who saying anything about Lviv. They're hardly on the radar, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah yeah I supported Doha until I researched how god awful the country is blah blah.

I am aware Zakopane bid but I was referring to Krakow winning on first bid.

I'm sure the IOC will make Beijing a candidate however I really can't see them winning this soon after 2008... I would throw my full support behind a Harbin bid for a winter olympics. Not a city that has already hosted in the same century.

I'm not even hoping Almaty wins 2022, I would much rather Oslo. However you easily throw Almaty out of the equation. If Oslo stays in the race I don't think Almaty will be shortlisted however if they do pull out, all bets are off. The past 3 races have had 3 cities.

I was asked why, twice, I thought Almaty was a no-go. So I was merely acknowledging that request. Even though I've mentioned it thoroughly before in other threads.

And like Kazackstan wouldn't have any broken promises either. At least with the Chinese, they know how to put on a show & we know that they can deliver. But even Beijing at this point, is a last resort option (which I even acknowledge). But as long as Oslo, & even Krakow, are in the race, the others are just second & third fiddle.

Yeah yeah I supported Doha until I researched how god awful the country is blah blah.

I am aware Zakopane bid but I was referring to Krakow winning on first bid.

Well, how long did it take you to do that 'research' then, since you were still in dismay when the IOC gave Doha the heave-ho for the second time around.

And why couldn't Krakow win on its first try? Nobody is questioning if Oslo could win on it's first try. Nagono won on its first try. And so did Turin. Besides, Sebastian Coe, former London 2012 head, has said that being a first-time bidder, or a repeat-bidder, "is neither an advantage or disadvantage". What matters is what the bid city brings to the table for the Olympic Movement. And right now, that seems to be Oslo or maybe even Krakow (depending on their bid book & other variables).

Actually I agree with OFD. Broken promises or not, I would still be interested in the idea of a Harbin Games. I think they should be the next Chinese host. Just not for 2022.

Like I said, the Chinese would be a last resort, considering all the variables for 2022. I'm not saying that they're a shoo-in. I don't see why that's so hard to comprehend.

I am not convinced by the 2 arguments used here to prove Oslo is 100% winner:

- Cheapest offer, cause there are already venues. We still dont know bidding books, but three cities showed their projects of budget (Oslo - 3.30-3.85 BLN USD, Krakow - 3.5 BLN USD, Lviv - 3 BLN USD) IMHO not meaningful difference here.

- Winter country, guarantee of atmosphere and public attention. Norstat published results of poll - they asked about giving governement financial to the bid.

a total of 58 per cent of Norwegians were against the Government supporting it with financial guarantees.

Only 26 per cent supported it.

Even in Oslo, only 37 per cent of those polled backed the idea of the Government providing the necessary financial guarantees, with 49 per cent against.

Opposition was highest in Northern Norway, best known as being land of the midnight sun and the northern lights, where 75 per cent were against against a state guarantee for Oslo 2022..

In western Norway, is the region along the Atlantic coast of southern Norway, which includes Bergen, 69 per cent opposed it.

As you see, its not clear and Norwegians arent so keen of bid as we think. Also looking at those results, politics will be carefull with giving governement support to the bid.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't wait to see the Bid logo's for Krakow, Almaty and Beijing. Does anyone have any news on when those Logo's will be released to the public?

I can't wait to see the Bid logo's for Krakow, Almaty and Beijing. Does anyone have any news on when those Logo's will be released to the public?

There was news that Kraków hired Event Knowledge Services placed in Switzerland to help with application work. There was also news that there was a contest for a logo, but logos that was submitted was supposedly not satisfying... which personally i hardly believe (and whole thing smell fishy for me), as i know you definitely can find someone that can do good graphics in Poland. So they decided to get someone from Swiss to do the logo, and i suspect it's mentioned EKS that they hired. Thats all i know about Kraków logo.

www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/winter-olympics/2022/1017679-krakow-2022-hires-mclatchey-s-eks-to-help-with-olympic-bid

http://www.tvn24.pl/krakow,50/logo-igrzysk-w-krakowie-zaprojektuja-szwajcarzy,388142.html

Deadline for applications is March 14 and application needs logo, so we see them all before that date.

There was also news that there was a contest for a logo, but logos that was submitted was supposedly not satisfying... which personally i hardly believe (and whole thing smell fishy for me), as i know you definitely can find someone that can do good graphics in Poland.

Some of the submitted works are publicly availalble

1478912_10202435288915909_1634407899_n.j

1621960_635301516535616_1413438398_n.jpg

1017128_802384349774888_1237803360_n.jpg

2nd one looks like Dinosaur or yoshi :D ! 3rd one is very very lovely. ;)

That second is a Wawel Dragon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wawel_Dragon_%28statue%29

Smok_Wawelski_02.jpg

The logo is OK, but more suitable for some children party or cartoon

The 1st logo looks more like Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur bidding for 2028.

I like the 3rd, but it looks a bit like Flying Spaghetti Monster

Archived