Which 4 cities do u think will make the 2022 Short List?

baron-pierreIV

Which will be the 2022 Finalist cities?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 4 that u think will make the Short List.

• Almaty
    • Beijing-Yankeejoe
    • Krakow-Jasna
    • Lviv
    • Oslo-Kvitjfell
    • Stockholm-Are

Let's just put it this way...

Oslo is a slide back to an old fling. Beijing is a reliable drunk dial booty call. Stockholm is a long distance love affair. Krakow is bi. Almaty is a blind date. And Lviv is going to get dumped by text before the first date.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shall Stockholm's withdrawal change the IOC's thought process for the short list? Oslo is in and Krakow is probably safe. Almaty and Beijing must be happier with their short list chances now than they would've been yesterday.

Oslo, Krakow

Oslo, Krakow, Beijing

Oslo, Krakow, Almaty

Oslo, Krakow, Beijing, Almaty

Oslo, Krakow, Beijing, Almaty, Lviv

I could see any of those as possibilities.

Beijing was always in regardless, as a nice back-up plan, like I've been saying all along, as case in point with Stockholm's withdrawal now. And like I just mentioned in the newswire thread, 2022 is looking more like 2020 now. I could still see only three: Oslo, Krakow & Beijing, akin to Tokyo, Istanbul & Madrid. And Almaty & Lviv like Doha & Baku = out.

Shall Stockholm's withdrawal change the IOC's thought process for the short list? Oslo is in and Krakow is probably safe. Almaty and Beijing must be happier with their short list chances now than they would've been yesterday.

Oslo, Krakow

Oslo, Krakow, Beijing

Oslo, Krakow, Almaty

Oslo, Krakow, Beijing, Almaty

Oslo, Krakow, Beijing, Almaty, Lviv

I could see any of those as possibilities.

I can't see the last 2 as possibilities IMO. Oslo will deffiently make it as a Candidate, Krakow will and so will Almaty, not sure about Beijing, but Lviv deffiently won't. I think it will be 3 Candidate Cities, Oslo, Krakow and Almaty. And I think Oslo will win. Just my opinion though.

Oslo is only a short-list lock if they bid. They may have the same problem as Stockholm.

And Beijing? At lease some of the voters have to be worried about this: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/01/16/china-smog-air-pollution/4504729/

Excerpt:

"I couldn't see the tall buildings across the street this morning," said a traffic coordinator at a busy Beijing intersection who gave only his surname, Zhang. "The smog has gotten worse in the last two to three years. I often cough, and my nose is always irritated. But what can you do? I drink more water to help my body discharge the toxins."

The city's air quality is often poor, especially in winter when stagnant weather patterns combine with an increase in coal-burning to exacerbate other forms of pollution and create periods of heavy smog for days at a time. But the readings early Thursday for particles of PM2.5 pollution marked the first ones of the season above 500 micrograms per cubic meter.

The density of PM2.5 was about 350 to 500 micrograms Thursday midmorning, though the air started to clear in the afternoon. It had reached as high as 671 at 4 a.m. at a monitoring post at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing. That is about 26 times as high as the 25 micrograms considered safe by the World Health Organization, and was the highest reading since January 2013.

Serious air pollution plagues most major Chinese cities, where environmental protection has been long sacrificed for the sake of economic development. Coal burning and car emissions are major sources of pollution. In recent years, China has beefed up regulations and pledged financial resources to fight pollution.

In the far northeastern city of Harbin, some monitoring sites reported PM 2.5 rates of up to 1,000 micrograms in October

Please. How is any of that any different when Beijing was bidding for 2008. The problem was just as bad, if not worse, back then. But the IOC didn't care. The Chinese would just clean up again, temporarily, shutting down factories, making more green space, etc, if they did indeed wind up with the 2022 games. Making mountains outta molehills.

Yeah but the IOC would probably come under very heavy artillery if they gave 2022 to Beijing, which certainly won't happen as long as Oslo remains in.

The IOC was heavily criticised for handling 2008, especially the human rights issues and their "appeasemenr" approach. They would struggle even more to find willing bidders in Western democracies than they are already now.

They must light all available candles that Oslo stays in, and if not, they'll probably swallow the so-called "bi-national" toad (is "swallowing a toad also a saying in English, btw?).

"I couldn't see the tall buildings across the street this morning," said a traffic coordinator at a busy Beijing intersection who gave only his surname, Zhang. "The smog has gotten worse in the last two to three years. I often cough, and my nose is always irritated. But what can you do? I drink more water to help my body discharge the toxins."

The city's air quality is often poor, especially in winter when stagnant weather patterns combine with an increase in coal-burning to exacerbate other forms of pollution and create periods of heavy smog for days at a time. But the readings early Thursday for particles of PM2.5 pollution marked the first ones of the season above 500 micrograms per cubic meter.

See above. Not "just as bad, if not worse" back then. Also, you can shut down factories in summer. You can't stop people from buring stuff for heat in winter.

(is "swallowing a toad also a saying in English, btw?).

Sometimes crazy kids lick toads, but we don't swallow toads, nor use that expression. What's it in German?

With China's not so good record on Human Rights, and after Sochi 2014 with Russia's Human Rights issues, the IOC will start to look for more democratic human rights countries (Example: England or Great Britain as some say, Us, Canada, Australia and not Middle East, Russia or China).

With China's not so good record on Human Rights, and after Sochi 2014 with Russia's Human Rights issues, the IOC will start to look for more democratic human rights countries (Example: England or Great Britain as some say, Us, Canada, Australia and not Middle East, Russia or China).

We could ask Snowden about human rights in such democratic countries, but let's not get into that...

The IOC may look, but they can't force any of those to bid. Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Sweden all recently ran away and most of them won't come back soon.

But the more democratic the country, the less likely you are to get the necessary government support.

But the more democratic the country, the less likely you are to get the necessary government support.

I disagree with that, when 2000 was held in Australia, 2002 in Usa, 2010 in Canada, 2012 here in London, England. So we are a democratic country and we got the 2012 games.

Tony, you do realize that it's not just English speaking countries who are democratic lol.

Woops. I honestly didn't deliberatly do that list of just English speaking Countries. That was a coincidence. Back to topic, this has to be Oslo's to win now. Oslo is by far the strongest now that Stockholm has withdrawn. If Oslo withdraw, THEN the race is wide open as far as I am concerned. If Oslo withdraw, then it's Krakow VS Almaty. Beijing might be hanging on by a fingernail.

That's a big overstatement. So if Oslo get the necessary government support, it makes Norway less democratic country?

I don't really know how it works in other applicant cities but I guess, that the whole government support can be easily wiped out by the referendum.

Bern 2010 had got that necessary government support, and people killed the whole bid.

That's a big overstatement. So if Oslo get the necessary government support, it makes Norway less democratic country?

I don't really know how it works in other applicant cities but I guess, that the whole government support can be easily wiped out by the referendum.

Bern 2010 had got that necessary government support, and people killed the whole bid.

if a coutry is run by a dictator and he wants the games, boom, they bid. But in other countries you have to get bills through the legislature, then maybe pass a local referendum, then get past any roadblocks someone might throw their way (coughDenvercough), etc.

A democratic country *can* get the games; it's just harder. So if a country gets the games, it doesn't imply they aren't democratic.

Archived