Which 4 cities do u think will make the 2022 Short List?

baron-pierreIV

Which will be the 2022 Finalist cities?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 4 that u think will make the Short List.

• Almaty
    • Beijing-Yankeejoe
    • Krakow-Jasna
    • Lviv
    • Oslo-Kvitjfell
    • Stockholm-Are

Tell that to Baron. He'll tell you no.

And if that's your 'opinion', its not a very well, thought out one.

If Beijing beat Almaty, I will be a man and say you was right. Until then, I don't believe Beijing can beat Almaty.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have a lot to learn then.

Ok so if Beijing don't, what will your response be? Also, fair enough Beijing 2008 was an Amazing Games, but the Build up to it was awful. Political Concerns and Environmental Concerns.

Beijing could beat Almaty in the election (with Oslo winning of course), but they'll both make it through to the candidate stage. Stockholm and Krakow are the iffy ones to me. But as stated earlier, if Bach really wants to make strides in Olympic bidding, then Lviv will be the clear one which doesn't make the cut for obvious reasons.

You need to read more of these older threads. I've already explained countless times why the IOC isn't just going to shove the Chinese to the way side, no matter how "controversial" 2008 was. The IOC should've already known that it was gonna be when they overwhelmingly voted for them back in 2001.

You think Kazahkstan also ain't gonna be without its controversies? At least with the Chinese, Russians, etc the IOC knows first-hand that they can deliver if need be. I'm not convinced that thy will have that same kind of confidence with the Kaxahks, even for candidate. Cuz you're still running the risk of getting someone else that you really want get thrown out early simply for the sake of including someone else. Even if they "won't win" in the end.

How can anyone say Stockholm is iffy. It is the strongest there. Oslo is close behind aswell.[/quoted]

This is the same person that's endorsing Almaty. That's why you shouldn't pay much attention to that.

How can anyone say Stockholm is iffy. It is the strongest there. Oslo is close behind aswell.

This is the same person that's endorsing Almaty. That's why you shouldn't pay much attention to that.

You need to read more of these older threads. I've already explained countless times why the IOC isn't just going to shove the Chinese to the way side, no matter how "controversial" 2008 was. The IOC should've already known that it was gonna be when they overwhelmingly voted for them back in 2001.

You think Kazahkstan also ain't gonna be without its controversies? At least with the Chinese, Russians, etc the IOC knows first-hand that they can deliver if need be. I'm not convinced that thy will have that same kind of confidence with the Kaxahks, even for candidate. Cuz you're still running the risk of getting someone else that you really want get thrown out early simply for the sake of including someone else. Even if they "won't win" in the end.

How can anyone say Stockholm is iffy. It is the strongest there. Oslo is close behind aswell.[/quoted]

Almaty is a fresh new location in terms of experience. Beijing is not. So Almaty has the upper hand because it would be new locations.

How can anyone say Stockholm is iffy. It is the strongest there. Oslo is close behind aswell.

Oslo behind Stockholm? Why that's the strongest bid out there. Oslo can easily site the 1994 Lillehammer games if there are questions over the travel distance as many peeps traveled from Oslo to Lillehammer to watch events within a day. You can't boast that with Stockholm.

Stockholm have proposed a High Speed Rail link between Stockholm and Are. Not a problem no more. Oslo has hosted before. Stockholm is new and Winter Country that hasn't hosted it. Almaty will be 3rd.

Almaty is a fresh new location in terms of experience. Beijing is not. So Almaty has the upper hand because it would be new locations.

Wait so now Beijing is not a fresh new location? Though I would have preferred another Chinese city (like Harbin) bidding, Beijing is easily fresh enough in terms of a new location should they unlikely win. So they hosted the Summer Olympics. They're still fresh in the Winter Olympics and could snatch that coveted first Summer/Winter Olympic hosts title.

We already have that with PyeongChang 2018. And "new locations" aren't always everything. Especially when it comes to a place like Almaty.

We already have that with PyeongChang 2018. And "new locations" aren't always everything. Especially when it comes to a place like Almaty.

Sochi was a brand new city. And all that buisness about it's Russia means nothing because look at the problems now with anti-gay laws and corruption.

Stockholm have proposed a High Speed Rail link between Stockholm and Are. Not a problem no more. Oslo has hosted before. Stockholm is new and Winter Country that hasn't hosted it. Almaty will be 3rd.

A high speed rail link is a problem when you don't really need one for such a small country. Not to mention that it's only real benefit is during the winter skiing season. Sweden is better off (in terms of accessibility and infrastructure) just upgrading Ostersund's airport and providing better road/rail links from there to Are.

Oh and what's the first new winter country which hasn't hosted it? Shouldn't you be saying that Stockholm is first? Almaty 2nd etc?

FYI should give me credit for trying. You clearly are not. ;)

A high speed rail link is a problem when you don't really need one for such a small country. Not to mention that it's only real benefit is during the winter skiing season. Sweden is better off (in terms of accessibility and infrastructure) just upgrading Ostersund's airport and providing better road/rail links from there to Are.

I still stick by Stockholm/Are like many others are.

• Environmental concerns

It is stated by Chinese sources that 35% of the total area has been harmed by acid rain and 40% of rivers have been polluted. Over 25% of Chinese residents drink contaminated water and 400 of the 667 Chinese cities suffer from water shortage. 35% of people living in the towns and cities breathe polluted air. Only 32% of all hazardous solid waste is currently treated. As a result, public health and long-term sustainable development have been seriously affected. Economic experts estimate that environmental pollution costs the Chinese economy around US$28 billion annually. The Eleventh Five-Year Plan pledges to spend US$175 billion on environmental protection until 2010. (See Chapter 3 for further information on environmental issues.)

Source: http://www.activeukchina.com/china-overview/china-overview/current-issues-facing-china/

That was directed for FYI, who thinks that Almaty will not make the shortlist simply due to the iffiness of the region, a controversial government and the possibility of 3 consecutive Olympics in Asia.

But you can't not let them through if they have all or most of the necessary conditions to host. You simply deny them at the election if you don't want to see another Asian games. If you let Beijing through due to political reasons, then why deny Almaty a spot. Make it a 4 candidate race if you want another Euro bidder. Heck even make it 5 cities making the cut and having clear non starter Lviv as the only one which doesn't make it.

Exactly. Almaty won't win, due to geopolitical reasons, but they have the chops to compete.

Whose picking fights. How's it any different from you doing the same with me & Gangwon with Stockholm a couple of weeks ago. You find it "hysterical" anyone who champions Stockholm. Well, why can't I say the same for those who "champion" Almaty. I can voice my opinion on it just as much as you do. So please stop with the hypocrisy.

Stockholm also has "the chops to compete". It's naive for the ones that flat out dismiss them. And "hysterical" the ones that are championing this "boring", non-compelling bid.

It has the "chops to compete" however, the distance between Stockholm and Are is massive and should (should which doesn't always mean will) severely affect the bid

• 3 weeks later...

The Krakow and Jasna multi-country Bid (people differ on opinion if it's multi or mainly Poland, I say Multi because Slovakia will host some events), is gonna be a bigger problem for the IOC, then the distance with the Stockholm/Are Bid IMHO.

people on opinion if Poland for the IOC, (it's multi or mainly Slovakia IMHO, differI events say Multi because will host some the Stockholm/Are), is gonna be a bigger problem , then the distance with Bid

people on opinion if Poland for the IOC, (it's multi or mainly Slovakia IMHO, differI events say Multi because will host some the Stockholm/Are), is gonna be a bigger problem , then the distance with Bid

Don't be frazzled by Tony E's opinion. He's nothing but a 16-yr old spoiler...so he doesn't know what he's saying. :rolleyes:

In fact writing 'Krakow-Jasna' is like writing:

London-Dorney 2012

Beijing-Hong Kong 2008

Athens-Marathon 2004

or

Vancouver-Richmond 2010

If you want to use dual name it should be Krakow-Zakopane. And Lviv-Volovets, Almaty-Shymbulak should be here too.

But its pointless cause the is no dual-city bid among competitors.

Two important informations for guys who treat Krakow as a joint bid of Polish and Slovakian NOC.

- no single Sloviakian man in Krakows bid comitee,

- no even 1 euro of participating in costs of creating a bid from Slovakia.

In fact writing 'Krakow-Jasna' is like writing:

London-Dorney 2012

Beijing-Hong Kong 2008

Athens-Marathon 2004

or

Vancouver-Richmond 2010

If you want to use dual name it should be Krakow-Zakopane. And Lviv-Volovets, Almaty-Shymbulak should be here too.

But its pointless cause the is no dual-city bid among competitors.

Two important informations for guys who treat Krakow as a joint bid of Polish and Slovakian NOC.

- no single Sloviakian man in Krakows bid comitee,

- no even 1 euro of participating in costs of creating a bid from Slovakia.

Don't be frazzled by Tony E's opinion. He's nothing but a 16-yr old spoiler...so he doesn't know what he's saying. :rolleyes:

Archived