Which 4 cities do u think will make the 2022 Short List?

baron-pierreIV

Which will be the 2022 Finalist cities?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 4 that u think will make the Short List.

• Almaty
    • Beijing-Yankeejoe
    • Krakow-Jasna
    • Lviv
    • Oslo-Kvitjfell
    • Stockholm-Are

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a five-city shortlist. If Bach is serious about wanting bidders to show more flexibility and imagination, they'll have to put Stockholm (assuming it gets government backing) and Krakow through as a show of faith. Oslo (again assuming support) and Beijing are pretty well no-brainers in terms of ability to organise them, and I don't count out Almaty making the cut – like Baku, they have been delivering on the promises of past bids. Lviv's the only one I really discount from making it through at this stage.

But is it fair for Beijing to get an Olympic Games quite near to the 2008 Summer Olympics and Paralympics? 14 years is not too far apart considering London (my home city), had to wait 64 years to host an Olympic Games again?

Go figure. The two bids that a few people here have a problem with the most.

People have the biggest problem with Lviv.

The issue with Krakow and Stockholm is that both if them really would force the IOC to make a radical departure from precedent. That's why many, including me, have questioned their chances. But now that Bach is talking about dramatic changes and finding creative solutions that benefit the applicant city, that throws a different light on things.

We'll have to see whether the rest of the IOC agrees with Bach or not. I don't expect their voting patterns to totally dissolve overnight, but who knows? I think the recent news suggests that Stockholm and Krakow have a better shot at the short list than I previously thought. At the end of the day, however, my guess is that the final votes will be cast according to the traditional criteria that has influenced recent cycles. I still think Oslo will most likely win.

It's also worth noting that the IOC may fear lack of government support could scupper both Oslo and Stockholm. They may feel that they must be more flexible in order to curry government support for those two bids. They may be right. This could have far more to do with the IOC protecting itself than a genuinely new vision for the Games.

People have the biggest problem with Lviv.

No, Lviv is a non-factor. It's virtually unanimous by everyone here that they're not gonna make it. It's Stockholm & Krakow where everything is seriously divided.

This could have far more to do with the IOC protecting itself than a genuinely new vision for the Games.

The IOC is always protecting themselves in one way or another, though. And if this step only helps Stockholm & Krakow (which again, some people are already discarding them without much sufficient cause, other than the distance to Are, or a "bi-national" proposal from Krakow) then I'm not surprised.

I think in my Opinion - Lviv, Ukraine - Stockholm, Sweden - Beijing/Zhangjiakou, China and Krakow, Poland/Jasna, Slovakia should make the shortlist (just my opinion by the way) and I want Lviv to win. Also why is Stockholm proposing to host Opening and Closing Ceremonies at Tele2 Arena instead of Friends Arena?

To be picky, 23 of 71 voter have put Lviv on their 4-city short list.

I was one of the 23. I want Lviv to win. If they don't, then I want Stockholm to.

But based on the results of this poll (which I know is just a Gamesbids poll), Oslo and Stockholm would be pretty safe. It is Almaty and Krakow that are on the cusp, depending on a shortlist of three or four. Beijing and Lviv would clearly be out of the running.

And of course, the real say belongs to the IOC Executive.

But based on the results of this poll (which I know is just a Gamesbids poll), Oslo and Stockholm would be pretty safe. It is Almaty and Krakow that are on the cusp, depending on a shortlist of three or four. Beijing and Lviv would clearly be out of the running.

And of course, the real say belongs to the IOC Executive.

Yeah good point it is down to IOC Executive we are just speculating but who I think will be Candidates and who I want are the same, Lviv, Beijing, Stockholm, Krakow

Yeah good point it is down to IOC Executive we are just speculating but who I think will be Candidates and who I want are the same, Lviv, Beijing, Stockholm, Krakow

Oh yeah sure. The IOC will cut a great Oslo bid but include a bi-national bid, a split bid which is 500km apart from the other and a city which hosted the games 7 years before the final IOC vote. Oh and don't get me started on Lviv

I'm not saying some of those cities won't make the cut but cutting Oslo? Stupid.

To be picky, 23 of 71 voter have put Lviv on their 4-city short list.

Well, since you enjoy to be picky & love to split hairs wherever you can, then let me rephrase that for you: It's virtually unanimous by everyone here that's PRAGMATIC, that Lviv's not gonna make it. There :-P

Look it is Opinion. Lviv has a great Stadium for Opening and Closing Ceremonies (Arena Lviv), fair enough they have to build other venues but so did Sochi 2014. Also fair enough economy is in trouble but who's isn't in this day and age?

Lviv would be too much like Sochi, whilst Almaty will be only a little. Almaty can boast the venues and experience which Lviv cannot despite the link geographically and culturally with Sochi and Russia.

Not to mention Lviv will have to boast as much as 3 clusters for it's games.

The only thing going for Lviv is not the ceremonies venue (you can always build a temporary one, which is what PyeongChang is doing for 2018), but the prospect of a Sliding Center in the city itself.

Lack of infrastructure, experience, winter sporting prowess and organizational know-how.

Cough Cough look at Sochi before they got hosting rights. No Winter Olympics Hosting Experience, No Venues.

Cough Cough look at Sochi before they got hosting rights. No Winter Olympics Hosting Experience, No Venues.

Cough. Cough. Look at Russia. Winter sporting powerhouse with plenty of experience, know-how, very deep pockets, etc.

The Ukraine is a far cry. Plus, being Russia's next door neighbor disqualifies them geopolitically.

You asked why no one believes in Lviv's bid. I'm telling you.

Cough. Cough. Look at Russia. Winter sporting powerhouse with plenty of experience, know-how, very deep pockets, etc.

The Ukraine is a far cry. Plus, being Russia's next door neighbor disqualifies them geopolitically.

They shouldn't be remembered for Russia's shadow. They are there own country now. Plus Russia has too many sporting events.

I think people are being harsh on Lviv 2022. Why don't people believe in Lviv 2022?

Because it's not enough to have a nice stadium for ceremonies. And you can't change the fact that Sochi overshadows any former Soviet bid for some time to come, unfair or not.

At the risk of sounding like a dick towards a newbie again, I think your posts so far show that you're enthusiastic but also pretty clueless about how the whole bidding circus works, sorry. Get more sense of reality into your posts, and this could lead to interesting discussions.

I know how the Bidding Process Works you know if I didn't I wouldn't comment I just feel every country has ups and downs and violent protests.

So, AF. When are you going to ask the new guy if they're of Ukranian decent, or have a Ukranian BF/GF, or any other sort of Ukranian connection. :P

I know how the Bidding Process Works you know if I didn't I wouldn't comment I just feel every country has ups and downs and violent protests.

Sorry, but I don't think you do. Otherwise you'd have a far more objective perspective other than "people are being too harsh on Lviv". There's good reasons for that.

Plus Russia has too many sporting events.

There's a reason for that, too.

I have no Ukrainian Connections and I honestly do know the Bidding Process hence I supported 4 out of 5 of the previous bidding process correctly.

Archived