Days numbered for Atlanta's Turner Field

The Atlanta Braves announced today they will be leaving Turner Field for a new stadium in the Atlanta suburb of Cobb County. This all but dooms the former Olympic Stadium to the wrecking ball in 2017. I know Turner Field was not the most ideal baseball facility, but it's sad to see a legacy of the Centennial Olympics set for demolition barely 20 years since the Atlanta SOGs. I know there's been a streak for sports teams moving to the suburbs, but it's just not the same when teams who've called their representative city home for so long (Fulton County Stadium then Turner Field and are now moving well outside the city limits).

Baron I'm curious to your thoughts on this

The Atlanta Braves announced today they will be leaving Turner Field for a new stadium in the Atlanta suburb of Cobb County. This all but dooms the former Olympic Stadium to the wrecking ball in 2017. I know Turner Field was not the most ideal baseball facility, but it's sad to see a legacy of the Centennial Olympics set for demolition barely 20 years since the Atlanta SOGs. I know there's been a streak for sports teams moving to the suburbs, but it's just not the same when teams who've called their representative city home for so long (Fulton County Stadium then Turner Field and are now moving well outside the city limits).

Has nothing to do with Turner not being ideal for baseball. Olympic Stadium in Montreal was the stadium that was not ideal for baseball, mostly since they made few structural changes after the Olympics in `76. Unlike Turner Field which got a fairly extensive overhaul to make it a baseball-only facility. They could have played there for a long time to come. But the problem is that the stadium wasn't owned by the team. It was owned by the city/county. Didn't think that would be reason for the Braves to head elsewhere. Maybe they were inspired by the Falcons. I get their reasoning for wanted to move closer to the center of their fanbase, but still. Very much a shame the legacy of the Atlanta Olympics continued to be sullied like this.

So much for any thoughts that the city of Atlanta might leave Turner Field Centennial Olympic Stadium standing..

Atlanta to demolish Turner Field

That's really disappointing. So the stadium that hosted the last Summer Olympics on U.S. soil won't even last long enough to see the United States host another Olympics.

Did those Games leave any legacy at all? Other than Centennial Olympic Park, which isn't even a huge tourist attraction to begin with.

Yes, Georgia Tech and GSU gained a 3,000-bed building which was part of the Olympic Village. It is shared today bu both universities. The Georgia Dome actually was planned and went up before 1996...so if that one also goes, I wouldn't put it in the negative column in the aftermath of the 1996 Games. The Swim center, like 1984, is part of a campus, Georgia Tech. The black colleges there got new sports facilities, thanks to the Games. So, yeah, 4 of the main stadia will be nothing but a memory after 2017.

But then again, Atlanta won over Athens because it already had most of the infrastructure in place. And that Turner/Centennial Field lasted until 2016 -- 20 years, which by definition, is a generation -- is OK by me. I guess the infamous cauldron might stay in place as part of the new development there...or be moved to Centennial Olympic Park. So, really there will be no white elephants hanging around in Atlanta.

And the funny thing about the move to Cobb...is that Cobb was the one county which did NOT host any Olympic venues. Part of women's volleyball was going to be there but when the County Board passed an unfriendly "gay" resolution in 1995, ACOG took that venue and the Torch Relay away from Cobb.

BTW, a Park is never a big draw per se. So I doubt that one would call that a failure. It was a great excuse to turn a rundown part of town into something memorable.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

As a Nationals fan, I do not need many more reasons to dislike the Barves. But this one is a big addition to the list. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Stade Colombes in Paris the last main Olympic stadium to have been demolished and those games were 90 years ago. (I guess Tokyo's 1964 stadium is also a goner, but they have a good excuse to build a replacement.)

That's just unbelievable. Only almost 20 years after it built, they're going to tear it down? That's the problem with pro sports nowadays. Billionaire owners now treats stadia as dispensable toys that can be replaced at a whim. And it's taxpayers that pay the price, though not as much as having to pay for government's unsustainable spending addictions, but that's beside the point. Look at some of the great stadia that have been around for decades, or even longer. Allen Fieldhouse at KU, Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke (whom we beat last night, Rock Chalk,) Lambeau Field at Green Bay, MCG in Melbourne, Lord's in London, Notre Dame Stadium, Santiago Bernabeu, Camp Nou, San Siro, Old Trafford, Maracana, Madison Square Garden, Bryant Denny Stadium at Alabama, and I could keep going. What a shame.

Well, the site and the name continued...but the original structure...and therefore the original ambience is gone and replaced by another structure with a 'personality' of its own.

The original ambience disappeared even before the Olympics were held at Wembley (by which time it was already a quarter-century old) thanks to the provision for sports such as speedway- it's amazing what uses that place saw in its time.

• 3 years later...