Atlanta Braves to Leave Turner Field

zekekelso

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/braves/2013/11/11/atlanta-braves-moving-new-stadium-cobb-county-turner-field/3494835/

The converstion of Atlanta Olympic Stadium to Turner Field has been one of the successes in avoiding a White Elephant out of the main Olympic stadium. With the braves leaving after 20 years, that's no longer true.

Main stadiums are really expensive, and just not needed for anything but a one-time use for the Olympics. This is going to be a huge challenge for all future bids.

Saw this story this morning. Not sure why I'm surprised someone on GB picked up on it so quick. This isn't a white elephant issue here. The stadium saw plenty of use in its existence. The read I've gotten is that the Braves want to move into a stadium they own. They don't own Turner Field, it's owned by Fulton County. I guess if they have the money to move elsewhere, more power to them. Just seems like a massive waste of money for the Georgia Dome and now Turner Field to lose their primary tenants no more than 25 years following their opening

And the distinction for the Olympic host with the worst legacy is awarded to the city of.. Atlanta!

The stadium here could have been used for a lot longer and doesn't currently have any real signs of wear and tear. The Braves are moving because they think they'll get better attendance in the suburbs (they won't), not because of anything to do with the stadium.

Stadiums can be used for a long, long time and you can look at Fenway Park to confirm that possible longevity. The issue is that current American sports franchises are able to put political pressure on municipal governments in order to get newer, publicly financed stadiums. and of course they abuse this because no one is going to stop them.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/braves/2013/11/11/atlanta-braves-moving-new-stadium-cobb-county-turner-field/3494835/

The converstion of Atlanta Olympic Stadium to Turner Field has been one of the successes in avoiding a White Elephant out of the main Olympic stadium. With the braves leaving after 20 years, that's no longer true.

Main stadiums are really expensive, and just not needed for anything but a one-time use for the Olympics. This is going to be a huge challenge for all future bids.

Depends on the city and plans on development. London is going to get plenty of use, as does Sydney's. The only two that really stand out as excessive is Beijing and Athens.

The only two that really stand out as excessive is Beijing and Athens.

Athens' stadium is home to AEK Athens and has also been home to Panathinaikos. If I remember correctly, I've once read by a Greek that the stadium is massively overused, unlike most of the 2004 venues.

Athens' stadium is home to AEK Athens and has also been home to Panathinaikos. If I remember correctly, I've once read by a Greek that the stadium is massively overused, unlike most of the 2004 venues.

And Aek is moving into a smaller stadium soon. Which meant the olympic stadium was excessive

Such a shame. I can highly recommend a visit to watch a game of baseball there if you got atlanta. That's about all the olympic spirit you can get there really (well centennial park too I guess!)