Lviv 2022

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am just joshing u. U have to earn ur stripes here as well. Pay attention to the emoticons. ;)

I want to contribute to this Amazing Forum massively and I am not trying to get the best Stripes, I just want to learn, help and contribute and socialize with people with interests like mine.

You can love and support any bid you want. But you also have to measure it against reality. Personally, I was a fan of the Istanbul 2020 bid. I love the city and thought they would make an exotic host. But I knew in my heart that Tokyo was a very strong candidate. In the end, Tokyo essentially creamed Madrid and Istanbul. Just like Rio creamed Madrid for 2016 and Beijing creamed everyone for 2008. I also supported Paris for 2012, but expected it to be a close showdown with London. It was. But London won.

And as a Vancouverite, I madly supported my city for the 2010 Winter Games. And I wanted us to cream the Salzburg bid. And we did. But almost lost to Pyeongchang in the process!

The IOC is sometimes like the weather. An unexpected storm or blast of rain sweeps in. Sydney stealing Beijing's 2000 thunder by two votes. Chicago's early 2016 exit. A near first ballot 2010 upset by Pyeongchang. But they are also predictable. Beijing's thunderous return for a 2008 win. The London-Paris 2012 showdown. Borjomi failing to make the 2014 shortlist.

But in this case, this bid is not likely to "Lviv Long and Prosper".

• 1 month later...

Yep, i think in this same way. I though Lviv had only little chances to make it, but now it seems all is gone. IMHO there will be 3 shortlisted bids. 2 from Europe, and 1 from Asia.

I just wanted to know what people from another parts of the world think about Ukraine issue. Polish media coverage is quite emiotional. Our history is similiar and future is connected. Not so long ago Poles faced similiar nightmare. Thanks God i was born in Poland ready to sail to west.

I truly see this race as another 2014 one. You have the "favorite" in Oslo (Salzburg in 2014), then 2 others cities who I see getting shortlisted (Krakow and Beijing, maybe Almaty) that although people don't see being a threat (like Sochi was), could pull it off. It'll be interesting w/o Stockholm and essentially Lviv in the race now.

I don't know the political ties behind the bid, but since Western Ukraine is an opposition stronghold normally, I could imagine either the people behind it also being anti-Yanukovich and thus trying to keep the bid alive as a symbol of their independence. Or if it's pro-Yanukovich, they will pull the plug to demoralise the people of Lviv (if they actually care about that bid in the first place).

Lviv might as well just give it up already. It's futile at this point.

I hope they don't :) i'm extremelly biased here (my grandma was born in Lviv), but I really hope that they don't withdraw to that March deadline, and the bid book will be supplied to the IOC.

I hope they don't :) i'm extremelly biased here (my grandma was born in Lviv), but I really hope that they don't withdraw to that March deadline, and the bid book will be supplied to the IOC.

I can see your reasoning, but it really is a waste of time and money at this point. Better get out now and come back in hopefully a peaceful democratic era of Ukraine in a couple of years. Energy should be focussed on other things than an Olympic bid that will NEVER happen in 2022.

Archived