Sign in to follow this  
breathesgelatin

Lviv 2022

Lviv isn't being "dismissed by some audiences because 'it's too Russian' ", but what mainly what works against them is that it's geopolitically, relatively too soon for a region that's not as traditional in much untested waters. Especially when there's much better, traditional safer options on the 2022 table. Even Krakow has an edge here over Lviv, & that ain't saying much, especially when they're proposing some events in Slovakia. The Tokyo/PyeongChang comparison is so way off base here, too. Apples & oranges, to say the least. Lviv is far from being a Tokyo. If anything, Oslo is more like the Tokyo in this race.

Not to mention Almaty would already cover that slight Russian aspect too. They're a shoe-in anyways due to past and future hosting experience and existing infrastructure.

It's gonna be them and not first timer Lviv.

^I'm still not convinced about Almaty, either. They may have past & future hosting experience & existing infrastructure, but just like Baku & Doha that also did/does, I believe the IOC will say 'thanks, but no thanks' for a variety of reasons. With first back-to-back Asian Olympics, adding a third one is not an ideal scenario. Especially when we already have had three consecutive Winter Olympics in non-traditional locales, so I don't see a fourth. And with Beijing also in the 2022 picture, geopolitics will push the Chinese in & leave the Kazahks to the wayside. Not to mention with all the types of controversies surrounding Sochi 2014, the IOC will surely want some piece of mind for at least a couple of cycles before pushing the envelope yet again..

Ałmaty's real problems will come when people start to analyzing political situation in this country. If Erodgan was bad, how about Nanarbajew...

• Like 1

Precisely - & that's certainly not what the IOC would be interested in.

And especially after the headaches that Sochi 2014 is are giving them.

Ałmaty's real problems will come when people start to analyzing political situation in this country. If Erodgan was bad, how about Nanarbajew...

Yep, Central-Asian version of Lukashenko. He is a president since 1991, and a head of ruling party since 2007. The party won 81% seats in Kazakh lower house of Parliament, and he won presidental election with 95%. There is something fishy going on there, but Kazakhstan, unless like Belarus, is oil rich, so nobody cares anyway :)

Yep, Central-Asian version of Lukashenko. He is a president since 1991, and a head of ruling party since 2007. The party won 81% seats in Kazakh lower house of Parliament, and he won presidental election with 95%. There is something fishy going on there, but Kazakhstan, unless like Belarus, is oil rich, so nobody cares anyway :)

From 1991? Rather 1989 when he became secretary general of Kazakh Communist Party. He is leader of Kazakhstan from Soviet times.

And i think it's not Asian Games or African Cup of Nations which was hosted by Equatorial Guinea but Olympic Games so someone will care about this. Until Kazakhstan became a real superpower. It's not going to happen soon.

But according to Borat, it's rich in potassium and prostitutes.... :lol:

Don't forget the swimming pool! Length 20 meter width 6 meter!

Looking at current events in Ukraine, the Lviv bid is basically DOA at this stage. Not that it had much life to begin with...

Demonstration in Kiev,Ukraine.

http://www.prochan.com/view?p=dbe_1385938024

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c0d_1385915137

The scale is quite large(I read a news that reported about 350,000 people participated).

For must of us it should be an issue Nazarbáyev, but I don't think the IOC really cares when they awarded the games to crazy and oppressive leaders like Brézhnev, Reagan, Roh Tae-Woo, Bush, Hu or Putin or the preceded ones. Fortunately no more Kaczynski for Krakow.

Let's see if Ukraine accomplish a revolution for the good sake of the Ukrainians.

For must of us it should be an issue Nazarbáyev, but I don't think the IOC really cares when they awarded the games to crazy and oppressive leaders like Brézhnev, Reagan, Roh Tae-Woo, Bush, Hu or Putin or the preceded ones. Fortunately no more Kaczynski for Krakow.

Let's see if Ukraine accomplish a revolution for the good sake of the Ukrainians.

Well I don't see how Reagan was oppressive :wacko: and the fact you forgot that Los Angeles won by default, was awarded the games during the first year of Carters term , Atlanta was one of the most realistic bids that year and the only one that was truly ready (despite the games still being bad), and Salt Lake City won during Clinton's term and was one of the most feasible bids that year. It just goes to show how you should maybe check your facts before you start calling American Presidents crazy and oppressive and placing them next to true tyrants like Brezhnev and Putin.

Now I'm not saying we do not have or have had crazy men in office or ones that have not done things in the countries best interest. Yet Reagan is far from classifying as one the same with the ones after him with the exception of Bush Jr. and Obama. The closest modern President to share any resemblance of the other men you mentioned is FDR and I'm not even going to go into that one.

I pray this happens; despite the death that would occur hopefully a peaceful and free future would be won.

^^ Roh Tae Woo wasn't also opressive. It was his predecessor who was the dictator of South Korea for most of the 80's until just some months before the games opened when he was peacefuly ousted and replaced with a democratic government (the 1988 olympics are considered in Korea also as a celebration of the arrival of democracy to that country)

The IOC doesn't give a care if you are a brutal dictator. But what they don't want is an unstable dictator. They want to know they guy they make a deal with will still be around in 7 years.

Put a fork in this bid, and hope the best for the people of Ukraine.

Which is another reason why I think Almaty is DOA, too. Same guy in power over there for over two decades. The cup could runnith over by the time 2022 arrives.

Lviv, Ukraine I want you to win Hosting Rights for 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics from London, England.

In that case, you won't get what you want.

• Like 1

Under Dogs sometimes win.

Sorry, Tony. Not in this case -- esp w/ all the turmoil happening in Kyiv. That alone is a bad start for this one. GB posters are quite savvy. A number of us here can gauge the pulse of the IOC quite early on.

An underdog would require some sort of potential capability, which Lviv doesn't at this point in time. If I'd have to label one of the 2022 Applicant cities as such, if would be Krakow, but definitely not Lviv.

I can usually feel the vibe of the IOC but I believe in Lviv. Name me one country that doesn't have protests. My England does. America does. European Countries do. Australia do. Asian Countries do.