Sign in to follow this  
breathesgelatin

Lviv 2022

I am an Australian who research things and the way that Eastern Europe is going I doubt there will be another games for an very long time in Eastern Europe there is about to be a war in Europe like in the 1990s but on a bigger scale the Eurozone is no better as well there is a deep divide which is happening in the Euro Zone could could bring out a civil war which is very likely now Ukraine could very well start it.

WW1 re-incarnated.

• Like 1

^Not to mention that the short-list of candidates will be made in only four months.

This. Maybe Lviv needs to considerated at this point to pull off the efforts. Even at this moment, we can't make a full idea if an United Ukraine will exist by 2022.

This. Maybe Lviv needs to considerated at this point to pull off the efforts. Even at this moment, we can't make a full idea if an United Ukraine will exist by 2022.

I think they will just sit this out and leave it to the IOC to kick them by not putting them on the shortlist.

Could even fuel inner-Ukrainian PR since obviously Putin has very good IOC connections and they could eventually blame him. Apart from the things that he really deserves the blame for.

Hey, but it was known from the beginning that Lviv have no chances and it's long-time shot. If they prepared documents why they should give up? They will see what evaluation comission says about this idea and that's goal of this application. To be honest, conflict between Ukraine and Russia don't change many things in race for 2022. It could have bad impact for future bids from Ukraine, maybe ends olympic dreams for many years, but now application comitee of Lviv do their job.

Hey, but it was known from the beginning that Lviv have no chances and it's long-time shot. If they prepared documents why they should give up? They will see what evaluation comission says about this idea and that's goal of this application. To be honest, conflict between Ukraine and Russia don't change many things in race for 2022. It could have bad impact for future bids from Ukraine, maybe ends olympic dreams for many years, but now application comitee of Lviv do their job.

Also, Kiev has should early minor interest in Bidding for 2024 Summer Olympics. They have no chance against Rome, Paris, Durban and Berlin.

Yes, it was chanceless already from the start, even without the current troubles. They'll just hang in there until the IOC tells them it's over.

A realistic bid wouldn't come before the 30s timewise anyway, assuming that (Oslo/Kraków), China and North America - at this stage - look likely to be the next three hosts.

Yes, it was chanceless already from the start, even without the current troubles. They'll just hang in there until the IOC tells them it's over.

A realistic bid wouldn't come before the 30s timewise anyway, assuming that (Oslo/Kraków), China and North America - at this stage - look likely to be the next three hosts.

China? I personally think there is more chance of Shanghai Hosting a Summer Olympics in the 2040's at the earliest. North America, I reckon will host a Summer Olympics in the late 2020's or 2030's. Oslo will host 2022. I know it's hard to predict, and I might be wrong. I think the IOC will steer clear from China for a while, with the country influenced with communism, human rights issues, environment issues, bad international relations and hosting recently in 2008 in Beijing. I know I keep bringing up the bad points of China, but that will affect the Bid. People could argue that Beijing got the 2008 Summer Olympics and the IOC ignored the issues. But, I reckon the IOC was naive and gave Beijing a chance to clear up their act, and give them the benefit of the doubt. But, it seems 2008 didn't help Beijing. Alot of Venues are not used, they STILL have Human Rights issues, people believed 2008 would give them a chance to clear the smog, there is still smog in China (especially in the Winter), still poor international relations, STILL a communist government, and as I have stated many times, China only hosted 6 years ago (14 years by 2022) which is still a short time frame, when here in London, we had to wait 64 years, Tokyo had to wait 56 years, South America has only just got their first Olympics after 120 years (by time Rio 2016) of the Modern Olympics. Africa still hasn't hosted a Olympic Games. Australia had to wait 44 years (Melbourne 1956 and Sydney 2000), Paris hasn't hosted an Olympics currently for 90 years, Germany hasn't hosted an Olympics in 42 years (Munich 1972 the latest). So it will be a long time before China gets another Olympic Games.

So it will be a long time before China gets another Olympic Games.

Tony China has never hosted an winter games and there economy is 3 times combined of all the 4 other countries bidding and there economy is forecast to double by 2022, China is an up and coming superpower of the world China is very influential to the world, Beijing put on a grand great games in 2008 the IOC can trust China to put on a great games, Norway don't have people support, Ukraine is on the brink of war which could very well impact on Poland as well EU Vrs Russia Krakow is very close to the battle ground the IOC will be wanting to stay away from that area for a Generation or 2 so that really leaves Almaty Kazakhstan Vrs Beijing China for the 2022 winter games hosting rights both countries are growing winter sporting powers and are the top two fastest growing economies in the world Almaty is a winter sporting hub for Central and South Asia and Beijing is an international city with a bullet train system to a new growing snow sport hub city in 40 mins.

GCL: Don't be ridiculous... the IOC isn't staying away from Europe for "a generation or two" and turing to China and Kazakhstan as alternatives. The Ukraine's stability may doom their bid, but that won't doom Poland for being kinda-near the troubles. Heck, Russia invaded Georgia a few years back and that didn't stop the games from taking place a mile from the Georgian' border.

As for the games not being popular in Norway.... we know this only because Norway is an incredible progressive country with freedom of the press. We have no clue what the people of China and Kazakhstan think. Can't really hold that against Norway, can we? Besides, how does the popularity of the games in Norway now compare to the popularity of the 2020 games in Japan two years ago? How'd that work out for Tokyo's bid?

• Like 1

Tony China has never hosted an winter games and there economy is 3 times combined of all the 4 other countries bidding and there economy is forecast to double by 2022, China is an up and coming superpower of the world China is very influential to the world, Beijing put on a grand great games in 2008 the IOC can trust China to put on a great games, Norway don't have people support, Ukraine is on the brink of war which could very well impact on Poland as well EU Vrs Russia Krakow is very close to the battle ground the IOC will be wanting to stay away from that area for a Generation or 2 so that really leaves Almaty Kazakhstan Vrs Beijing China for the 2022 winter games hosting rights both countries are growing winter sporting powers and are the top two fastest growing economies in the world Almaty is a winter sporting hub for Central and South Asia and Beijing is an international city with a bullet train system to a new growing snow sport hub city in 40 mins.

GCL, your not getting my point. I have never denied that China has a strong and growing economy, but no amount of money can hide the inside issues of China. Yes, all countries have issues, but China has a massive amount of issues, which I won't repeat again. Kazakhstan, had to CO-Host a much smaller Asian Winter Games, with Astana, as FYI pointed out. You cannot deny that Oslo is by far the strongest Bid out of the five, and the more democratic safer option. IMO, your being bias. You think that Asia/Oceania is on top of the world, as many others have pointed out to you in other words.

Out of Europe for a generation or two?

What are some people smoking?!

• Like 2

There'll be quite a cold shower for some, at the latest on 31st July 2015.

so that really leaves Almaty Kazakhstan Vrs Beijing China for the 2022 winter games hosting rights both countries are growing winter sporting powers and are the top two fastest growing economies in the world Almaty is a winter sporting hub for Central and South Asia

Maybe China is, but Kazachkstan is NO means is a "growing winter sporting power". They only have a mere seven medals overall at the Winter Olympics, & only one of them gold. Even Poland got just as many at Sochi 2014 alone.

• Like 1

Out of Eastern Europe for a Generation or 2 mean the Winter Games will most likely going to Western Europe for the 2030 Winter Games in Barcelona in the new country of Catalonia and Central Europe is likely to host an Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in 2028 with Berlin Germany.

Out of Eastern Europe for a Generation or 2 mean the Winter Games will most likely going to Western Europe for the 2030 Winter Games in Barcelona in the new country of Catalonia and Central Europe is likely to host an Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games in 2028 with Berlin Germany.

And another GCL post completely out of touch with the real world....

• Like 1

China? I personally think there is more chance of Shanghai Hosting a Summer Olympics in the 2040's at the earliest. North America, I reckon will host a Summer Olympics in the late 2020's or 2030's. Oslo will host 2022. I know it's hard to predict, and I might be wrong. I think the IOC will steer clear from China for a while, with the country influenced with communism, human rights issues, environment issues, bad international relations and hosting recently in 2008 in Beijing. I know I keep bringing up the bad points of China, but that will affect the Bid. People could argue that Beijing got the 2008 Summer Olympics and the IOC ignored the issues. But, I reckon the IOC was naive and gave Beijing a chance to clear up their act, and give them the benefit of the doubt. But, it seems 2008 didn't help Beijing. Alot of Venues are not used, they STILL have Human Rights issues, people believed 2008 would give them a chance to clear the smog, there is still smog in China (especially in the Winter), still poor international relations, STILL a communist government, and as I have stated many times, China only hosted 6 years ago (14 years by 2022) which is still a short time frame, when here in London, we had to wait 64 years, Tokyo had to wait 56 years, South America has only just got their first Olympics after 120 years (by time Rio 2016) of the Modern Olympics. Africa still hasn't hosted a Olympic Games. Australia had to wait 44 years (Melbourne 1956 and Sydney 2000), Paris hasn't hosted an Olympics currently for 90 years, Germany hasn't hosted an Olympics in 42 years (Munich 1972 the latest). So it will be a long time before China gets another Olympic Games.

Tony do you want me to pull out the Rio map? Too late here you go:

rio2016map-kl.jpg

Asia will host another games after Tokyo.

Wake up call: 2028 will be in Paris if not South Africa.

Tony do you want me to pull out the Rio map? Too late here you go:

rio2016map-kl.jpg

Asia will host another games after Tokyo.

Wake up call: 2028 will be in Paris if not South Africa.

Oh please. 2022 and 2024 won't be going to Asia. Why do you think Busan has postponed plans to Bid for 2024, instead opting for 2028? Because Tokyo won 2020.

I think Korea, Japan, China combo would feel too similar and boring over time, i bet devercity is more importent for IOC then numer of games in continent. Besides after IOC being kicked around because Russia i dont think they likely to pick China which has similar issues

I think Korea, Japan, China combo would feel too similar and boring over time, i bet devercity is more importent for IOC then numer of games in continent. Besides after IOC being kicked around because Russia i dont think they likely to pick China which has similar issues

Correction: Diversity. Also, I agree. I wouldn't like 3 Olympics from the same continent in a row. PyeongChang and Tokyo is fair enough, because it's Winter and Summer, but not 2 Winter's in a row in Asia.

Lviv Olympic bid still in play amid Ukraine crisis

LONDON (AP) — Sergej Gontcharov sums up the status of Ukraine's bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics in one word: uncertain.

The Ukrainian city of Lviv was among the five contenders that submitted applicant files to the International Olympic Committee by Friday's deadline.

With Ukraine engulfed in political crisis and its strategic Crimean peninsula under Russian control, it's unclear whether Lviv will be able to keep pursuing its Olympic campaign.

"Obviously so much is connected to what is going on in the country," Gontcharov, the CEO of the Lviv bid, told The Associated Press in an interview Friday. "As of now, there are more urgent and more important things that have to be clarified."

Competing with Lviv for the 2022 Olympics are Almaty, Kazakhstan; Beijing; Krakow, Poland; and Oslo.

The five delivered their applicant files to the IOC this week, outlining their vision and concept for the games, in the first phase of the bid process.

The IOC executive board will decide which cities go through to the final phase at a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on July 7-9. The full IOC will select the host city on July 31, 2015, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

"We did our job by submitting the files to the best of our ability and now we have to wait and see," Gontcharov said. "Hopefully the situation calms down quickly and is resolved peacefully. Then we will enter into more detailed and more concrete talks with the new government."

Beijing, which hosted the 2008 Olympics, is seeking to become the first city to host both the Summer and Winter Games. Oslo hosted the 1952 Winter Games. Krakow would hold some ski events across the border in Slovakia. Almaty is a strong contender, bidding for a second straight time after failing to make the cut for 2014.

Lviv's bid has been buffeted by the upheaval in Ukraine, including the anti-government protests and outbursts of violence that led pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych to flee last month. Russian troops have since moved into Crimea, where the public will vote Sunday on whether to break away from Ukraine and become part of Russia.

How long Lviv remains in the race is anyone's guess.

"I'm not here telling fairytales," Gontcharov said by telephone. "Of course, it's very uncertain. The concept itself is based on great demand and potential. Whether we will be able to realize it now is unclear at the moment, too uncertain."

Gontcharov was in Lausanne on Thursday to meet with IOC officials and confirm the bid files had arrived by shipment. Just getting that far was an achievement.

"We worked very hard to complete the applicant file," he said. "It's all been a very big challenge. So many times we had to cancel some events that were planned in promotion of the bid, such as the logo launch and different social events. Every time when we thought the situation has calmed down, there was a new escalation."

While most bid cities work hard to promote their case, Lviv is keeping a low profile while Ukraine remains in turmoil.

"All the nice words and slogans and so on that we have prepared, there's no sense in it," Gontcharov said.

Lviv is located in western Ukraine, where much of the population favors ties with the European Union. Many in eastern Ukraine have closer economic and traditional ties to Russia.

The Lviv bid also has offices in the Ukrainian capital, Kiev. The offices, located near Independence Square, were closed for two days during last month's deadly clashes between demonstrators and police.

"We came back to our offices and found three bullets," Gontcharov said. "It was very difficult to concentrate on the project."

A key requirement for any Olympic bid is government backing and financial guarantees — something that has been thrown into doubt for Lviv by the changes and instability in Ukraine.

"Of course (the bid) depends on the government highly, and right now the government has other priorities," Gontcharov said.

An IOC panel will examine the files of the 2022 bid cities and submit a report to the executive board before its decision in July on the short list of finalists.

"It is a short time frame but if you have followed the events in Ukraine, from one day to the other there can be so many things happening," Gontcharov said.

AP

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/lviv-olympic-bid-still-play-amid-ukraine-crisis

• Like 1

That's the most downbeat I've ever heard a bid leader when talking about their own bid and its activities. At least he's not sugarcoating anything.

That's the most downbeat I've ever heard a bid leader when talking about their own bid and its activities. At least he's not sugarcoating anything.

I agree. On one hand you got to respect that he is not being naive, but on the other, he should be supporting his Bid. If the Bid leader isn't confident, what chance is there of the IOC being confident in Lviv 2022.

I agree. On one hand you got to respect that he is not being naive, but on the other, he should be supporting his Bid. If the Bid leader isn't confident, what chance is there of the IOC being confident in Lviv 2022.

No one was confident in Lviv 2022 since it was announced.