Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

Well I think Zhangjiakou is iffy because it's a no name "city", and is not even a proper winter destination in China like Harbin for example is.

I guess it ultimately comes not to having 3 Asian games in a row, but if the IOC wants to go through a whole mega games which cost well over budget and 10's of billions of dollars again. Sure, it's not their money, but expensive games just keep putting off potential future bidders.

Perhaps Zhangjiakou was chosen instead bcuz it's not as polluted as other Chinese cities like Harbin. Plus, I've also read that Harbin could be brutally cold in the winter. Not to mention that it's farther away from Beijing.

Well, the IOC may have no choice with all the credible 2022 bidders dropping like flies. And if Oslo does indeed drop out, too, by the end of this month, then the IOC will be in a real pickle of a situation then. But I'm sure that they'll enjoy their totally brand-new, mega-expensive Olympic Park in Sochi next month, exclusively just built for them, though.

• Like 1

I think it's really interesting that everyone is willing to make all these definitive statements before we've even seen the concrete specifics of the bids.

Geopolitics reveal something, but not everything.

But the point is, is that the IOC won't go back to Beijing for a long time, so if Oslo withdraws, Krakow will win. If the IOC goes back to China, it will be Shanghai in 2036 or 2040. Especially after the problems with Sochi, they don't need Beijing's problems with Human Rights, Environment Issues, and being so close to the 2008 Summer Olympics. Oslo will win. If they withdraw, then Krakow will win. If both withdraw, then Beijing might win, with a close race with Almaty.

But the point is, is that the IOC won't go back to Beijing for a long time, so if Oslo withdraws, Krakow will win. If the IOC goes back to China, it will be Shanghai in 2036 or 2040. Especially after the problems with Sochi, they don't need Beijing's problems with Human Rights, Environment Issues, and being so close to the 2008 Summer Olympics. Oslo will win. If they withdraw, then Krakow will win. If both withdraw, then Beijing might win, with a close race with Almaty.

Sorry, Tony. You don't know that. You don't know what Krakow, Almaty or Beijing are really proposing. You are guessing. It's a decent guess, but it's not a fact and it shouldn't be represented like one.

Sorry, Tony. You don't know that. You don't know what Krakow, Almaty or Beijing are really proposing. You are guessing. It's a decent guess, but it's not a fact and it shouldn't be represented like one.

Beijing having problems is a fact. Human Rights, Environment (just look at smog), too close to 2008 Summer Olympics and I also forgot, political tension with Taiwan, Macau, Tibet, Hong Kong, and with Japan.

I think the IOC can see past those problems if it means 1.4 billion people being force fed their product, & giving them money.

Indeed. They did so for 2008 already, and will happily do it again sooner than later. For 2022, they might even end up with having no choice...

Not exactly the most comfortable situation for the IOC these days.

China problems are no where near as bad as Russia problems the world leaders from everywhere attended the Beijing 2008 not so with Russia with many world leaders are boycotting the games, Beijing don't need to do much work and the high speed railway already under way to Zhangiakou for the winter games and most of the work for the Chinese bid is in Zhangiakou with building the snow events stuff and village for the games and build up that city more, Beijing already got the venues ready to convert for winter sports and the legacy with a new training hub for 1.4 billion people in the country, The Beijing 2008 games was very great I can't say it will the same for the Sochi 2014 the IOC can trust the Chinese and deliver a great games.

China problems are no where near as bad as Russia problems the world leaders from everywhere attended the Beijing 2008 not so with Russia with many world leaders are boycotting the games, Beijing don't need to do much work and the high speed railway already under way to Zhangiakou for the winter games and most of the work for the Chinese bid is in Zhangiakou with building the snow events stuff and village for the games and build up that city more, Beijing already got the venues ready to convert for winter sports and the legacy with a new training hub for 1.4 billion people in the country, The Beijing 2008 games was very great I can't say it will the same for the Sochi 2014 the IOC can trust the Chinese and deliver a great games.

stream of (un)consciousness

• Like 2

Did you guys get that?

China problems are no where near as bad as Russia problems, OK?

Damn China problems. Beijing China 2022 Olympics Games and Paralympics Games bid got so many China problems. At least they're not those pesky Russia problems.

Beijing having problems is a fact. Human Rights, Environment (just look at smog), too close to 2008 Summer Olympics and I also forgot, political tension with Taiwan, Macau, Tibet, Hong Kong, and with Japan.

I know you are a lot optimist, but all your points can be debated.

Human rights - 2008 was the same and the Chinese government pull off. Let's get the idea - The charter of the IOC is nice on paper and optimist, but the IOC isn't MOTHER THERESA. Even the UN can't solve these revelant matters since 1945. The IOC proposes two weeks of healthy competition and harmony, but they haven't the magical wood to resolve lives.

Environment - Even they cleaned the sky in 2008. They can make it again.

Too close to 2008 - Again apples and oranges. Winter Olympics is still a limited organization with geographical conditions. If there's another country with REAL power to have two Olympic Games in short time is CHINA. Big market, political power, influence in many sporting organizations.

Political tension - Please, if that's so, South Korea and Japan have the SAME problem. Pyeongchang is close for one of the most dangerous frontiers with a pariah country with weapons and state of war. And recently Japan has many troubles with their neighbourns especially for lands and historical controversies. Also, which tension is confronting China with Hong Kong and Macau? If anycase the "one country two systems" policy was a great adition. They still keep the economic, administrative and cultural sovereignity

I know you are a lot optimist, but all your points can be debated.

Human rights - 2008 was the same and the Chinese government pull off. Let's get the idea - The charter of the IOC is nice on paper and optimist, but the IOC isn't MOTHER THERESA. Even the UN can't solve these revelant matters since 1945. The IOC proposes two weeks of healthy competition and harmony, but they haven't the magical wood to resolve lives.

Environment - Even they cleaned the sky in 2008. They can make it again.

Uhm...unlike the UN, the IOC can at least decide not to let a country get the games because of HR. At least in theory, and if they really wanted to, also in practice.

As for environment, they got the air clean for a few weeks in summer 2008 and painted (literally) a few brown bushes green, the overall situation hasn't improved. And as was pointed out earlier, winter is worse because of heating with coal.

Not disagreeing on the other points though.

• 2 weeks later...

China thanks Russia for supporting Beijing Winter Olympics bid

BEIJING, Feb. 11 (Xinhua) -- China on Tuesday thanked Russia for the country's support of China's bid for the 2022 Winter Olympic Games and said it would draw experience from the Sochi Olympics.

Beijing launched a joint bid with neighboring Zhangjiakou City to host the 2022 Winter Olympic Games last November. Beijing hosted the Olympic Games and Paralympics in 2008.

China has always attached great importance to the Olympic Games and has widely participated in the events, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said at a daily news briefing.

The bid for the 2022 Winter Olympic Games has gained strong support from the Chinese government. President Xi Jinping also garnered backing from Russia and other parties during his presence at the Sochi Olympics, Hua said.

"We wish the Sochi Olympics full success and are willing to learn from the successful experiences of Russia," the spokeswoman said.

Xinhua

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2014-02/11/c_133107036.htm