Beijing/Zhangjiakou 2022

If Norway government does not support the bid then we will be seeing Beijing China hosting the 2022 winter games where ever you like to see Asia hosting 3 in a row or not Beijing is an stable option in a time in of uncertainty.

1) I disagree, Beijing is 3rd Choice behind Oslo and Krakow. - 2) Beijing a stable choice? (Poor Human Rights Record and Environment Issues with Smog e.t.c).

It's Beijing's Fukoshima! lmfao :-D And besides, Oslo can have freezing fog in the winter, bringing visibility virtually to nil. So it's a wash. Let the fog/smog/radioactive Games begin! :-P

Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Public Health;

http://monitoring.tokyo-eiken.go.jp/en/index.html

Japan National Tourism Organization:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eq/eng/04_recovery.htm#city

:rolleyes:

Oslo can have fog, it's true. But the air quality is a million times better than a polluted metropolis like Beijing.

And of course, the weather can vary. Lots of crisp, cold blue sky days too. I used to live in Oslo and fog was never bad enough to restrict any events like Holmenkollen ski jumping or cross country ski competitions which took place in the city streets.

Oslo can have fog, it's true. But the air quality is a million times better than a polluted metropolis like Beijing.

And of course, the weather can vary. Lots of crisp, cold blue sky days too. I used to live in Oslo and fog was never bad enough to restrict any events like Holmenkollen ski jumping or cross country ski competitions which took place in the city streets.

Besides, Winter Games are far more weather-dependent than Summer Games. There is always an inherent risk that the weather will seriously trouble the schedule. However, if it is altrady known that smog in Beijing is worse in winter, then this really is a point of concern.

Some of you guys really need to learn on how to pick up on the sarcasm, especially palette. My last post was in jest of paul's Beijing smog post. He made it his own personal campaign against Tokyo's 2020 bid with "Fukushima" always on the front-line. While myself, & a few others, were being pragmatic about the 2020 race in support of Tokyo. So if you need to link some pollution guides to anyone, then please direct at the right place, since it's totally unwarranted at this end. :-P

*direct them.

It's Beijing's Fukoshima! lmfao :-D And besides, Oslo can have freezing fog in the winter, bringing visibility virtually to nil. So it's a wash. Let the fog/smog/radioactive Games begin! :-P

i want Beijing to win so you are the one barking up the wrong tree

i really am not excited about Tokyo, wish Japan would focus on their mess

Edited by paul

might as well....nothing else groundbreaking or interesting seems to be happening, least the show would be good

The only way Beijing has a chance is if Oslo and Krakow both withdraw. They won't have 3 Asian Olympics in a row, unless it is only Asian Bidders left. Also, Oslo is a safe option, so Oslo is favourite. Beijing has too many issues, Human Rights and Environment Issues. Almaty has some Venues, like the Medeo, and Venues built for the 2017 Winter Universiade, but won't win unless Oslo, Krakow and Beijing pull out. Lviv is weak. Krakow, apart from the Joint-Bid issue (not starting the debate on that again), has a strong Bid, just not as strong as Oslo's.

If there is really zero chance of the IOC not picking 3 hosts in a row in Asia, they should say so and keep contries from spending $100m+ trying.

PS - The pollution air problem in Beijing is much strong now than in '08. Winter only makes it worse, both because its worse in Winter in general, and also because they don't have the same options for cleaning the air. You can close factories. You can't keep people from heating their homes.

i want Beijing to win so you are the one barking up the wrong tree

i really am not excited about Tokyo, wish Japan would focus on their mess

Oh, excuse me then. I guess your multiple pics of Beijing's smog, & the link attached to it with a full article about the subject, sidetracked me.

And yes, I think it's safe to say that most of us here already know that you're not excited about Tokyo 2020 at all, & want them to focus on their "mess" instead.

Zhangiakou is a bit iffy with really only a rail link and highway. Not to mention that most arenas in Beijing haven't exactly been tested for ice events.

We'll wait and see.

What and see for what? None of these are actual concerns.

How is Zhangjiakou 'iffy' with 'only' a rail link and a highway? That is more than Vancouver with Whistler in 2010. In addition to this, the rail link is being upgraded. And so what if the arenas in Beijing haven't been 'tested' for ice events --- how does someone 'test' a building for ice events? They are physical structures that can be reconfigured - Munich is such an example.

Well I think Zhangjiakou is iffy because it's a no name "city", and is not even a proper winter destination in China like Harbin for example is. At least Whistler had the existing ski resort and established accommodation. We don't even know what quality accommodation or ski resort can be found in Zhangjiakou (but yes, they can be improved). We'll have to wait until their applicant book to see what the Chinese propose, but it might have been better to go with a more known city like Harbin.

As for Beijing and its arenas, most of them aren't designed for ice any ice event or an international ice rink, with the possible exception of the National Indoor Stadium (even for that venue sightlines might be terrible in most places). It might be difficult and costly to reconfigure many of the venues proposed.

Guess we'll have to wait until their bid books to find out.

I guess it ultimately comes not to having 3 Asian games in a row, but if the IOC wants to go through a whole mega games which cost well over budget and 10's of billions of dollars again. Sure, it's not their money, but expensive games just keep putting off potential future bidders.

Edited by Lord David
  • Like 1

I wonder if, with the cold war between China & Japan going on, China will just go all out to beat Tokyo, by building a totally new set of venues in Beijing, like Sochi, putting democracies off even more :(

I wouldn't bee too shocked if that cold war turned into a hot one in the next few years, not only between China and Japan. Out of internal weaknesses, Chinese communists might want to play the nationalist card and occupy disputed territory, or Kim Jong-Rodman presses the nuke button etc

I know it's a gloomy scenario, but people sonetimes do irrational things that lead to disaster.

Beijing Winter Olympics bid "serious, responsible": official

Jan. 14,2014

News source; people's daily online

BEIJING, Jan. 21 -- A senior Chinese sports official said here on Tuesday that Beijing's bid for 2022 Winter Olympics is serious and responsible, and that the city is making great efforts to improve air quality.

Though Beijing is facing challenges on air quality, the municipal government is sparing no effort to tackle the problem, said vice president of the Chinese Olympic Committee Yang Shu'an, at a press briefing on President Xi's visit to the Sochi winter games.

"Proposed co-host, Zhangjiakou, has the best air quality of all Chinese cities north of the Yangtze River," said Yang.

China announced last November a joint bid by Beijing and Zhangjiakou to host the 2022 Winter Olympic Games. Beijing, host of the 2008 summer games, hopes to stage the ice events while Zhangjiakou, a ski resort some 200 km northwest of Beijing in neighboring Hebei Province, will host snow sports.

"Our bid for the Winter Olympics is serious and responsible," Yang said.

He added that Beijing and Hebei will send delegations to Sochi to participate in International Olympics Committee observer programs to prepare for the bid.

Last Thursday, Beijing Mayor Wang Anshun declared an "all-out effort" to tackle the city's bad air by cutting coal use by 2.6 million tonnes and transforming 300 polluting companies this year.

A draft regulation on pollution treatment and prevention will be reviewed on Wednesday at the annual session of the municipal People's Congress, Beijing's legislature, Foreign Ministry director of information Qin Gang told a press briefing.

"If passed, this will be a major step toward defeating Beijing's air pollution and will create favorable conditions for the 2022 bid," Qin told reporters.

Link to this article;http://english.people.com.cn/90779/8518905.html

You think there could be a pan-Asian war :o

Nothing would happen,don't worry.